• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

LGBTQ Stuff (split from other political threads)

Some interesting stats in this study by the Correctional Service of Canada.

Study finds nearly 45% of trans-women inmates convicted of sex crimes​

So many issues with that article and what it is trying to do….

96% of them committed their crimes before they transitioned…which leads to them having transitioned after…right…nothing fishy about a criminal trying to game the system.

Seems that the incarceration rate per 100K is still far lower than the average. Then mix in the indigenous issue that seems to have been skimmed over…

So we have in Canada 43 « trans » women convicted of sex crimes, mostly indigenous jailed over multiple years. Total.

Someone do the math on that percentage. 43 out of 40 million. Time to panic everyone.

96% of them committed their crimes before they transitioned…which leads to them having transitioned after…right…nothing fishy about a criminal trying to game the system.
That stuck out to me to. Looking trans and using a male washroom isn't a good indicator that someone has a high potential to hurt children.

Transwomen in female prisons on the other hand seem quite the risk.

Some interesting stats in this study by the Correctional Service of Canada.
The likely falsity with which most of those claims are made highlights the problem with allowing men to simply declare the orientation and use it as an excuse to enter women's spaces. I gather in the debate over "men in women's spaces" a lot of people overlook the fact that the main concern is "I am what I say" masqueraders taking advantage. Fix that, and perhaps some of the objections will go away.

The likely falsity with which most of those claims are made highlights the problem with allowing men to simply declare the orientation and use it as an excuse to enter women's spaces. I gather in the debate over "men in women's spaces" a lot of people overlook the fact that the main concern is "I am what I say" masqueraders taking advantage. Fix that, and perhaps some of the objections will go away.
…and how does one “fix” it without massive privacy issues?

I’m not being flippant - if a party is going to suggest keeping gender segregated washrooms, someone is going to ask how it is enforced. Otherwise it’s a throwaway line.

If I may I have some - not a lot - of experience in housing M 2 F inmates. The ones I have encountered are serious and have undergone hormone shots but not undergone the surgery. Provincially they are housed as males - and no exceptions. You have male parts you go to mens jails.
We actually had a female in seg - identifying as a M - but she was shipped off to womens. IF a male with his parts insists he's a female and goes to womens jails he is immediately segregated from female offenders - 23.5 hours per day in his cell.

We do have one staff who has transed from F to M. Interesting how he has been accepted by some but not others.

…and how does one “fix” it without massive privacy issues?

I’m not being flippant - if a party is going to suggest keeping gender segregated washrooms, someone is going to ask how it is enforced. Otherwise it’s a throwaway line.
I don't think it's feasible. So the "bright line" to adopt is simply to continue having the long-established women-only spaces.

If I may I have some - not a lot - of experience in housing M 2 F inmates. The ones I have encountered are serious and have undergone hormone shots but not undergone the surgery. Provincially they are housed as males - and no exceptions. You have male parts you go to mens jails.
We actually had a female in seg - identifying as a M - but she was shipped off to womens. IF a male with his parts insists he's a female and goes to womens jails he is immediately segregated from female offenders - 23.5 hours per day in his cell.

We do have one staff who has transed from F to M. Interesting how he has been accepted by some but not others.
Reassuring. We're not as foolish as the people running some American facilities, at least. That's probably not the only policy point on which Canadian moderation prevails.

Aside from the stats, the article is nicely dogwhistling that trans people and criminality have a relation.
But that's exactly what the article is about, relation between criminality and the trans community.

To me the article reinforces the concern many women have expressed about transwomen being placed in women's correctional facilities. Or other safe spaces like shelters.

I mean, it’s the Sun. Not exactly an unbiased source.

Aside from the stats, the article is nicely dogwhistling that trans people and criminality have a relation.
I'm curious about what these "dogwhistles" are, and how much of a "dogwhistle" are they if you can identify them as a person not part of the "in" group? Or, did you really mean that you didn't like the article because of it's course, and the slant?

The article is pretty clear that among the 99 trans criminals who were part of the study, the proportion of trans women who are violent sexual offenders is quite high. There were no statements about trans people in general, so I'm really curious where the link between trans people in general, and criminality comes from?

I'm curious about what these "dogwhistles" are, and how much of a "dogwhistle" are they if you can identify them as a person not part of the "in" group? Or, did you really mean that you didn't like the article because of it's course, and the slant?

The article is pretty clear that among the 99 trans criminals who were part of the study, the proportion of trans women who are violent sexual offenders is quite high. There were no statements about trans people in general, so I'm really curious where the link between trans people in general, and criminality comes from?

That's what the dog whistling is. It's the subtle insinuation without outright saying it.

The world is on fire; its destabilizing quickly, war is looming and we are arguing about what washrooms people can use.

Bound 2 Jesus Wept GIF by Kanye West

The world is on fire; its destabilizing quickly, war is looming and we are arguing about what washrooms people can use.

Bound 2 Jesus Wept GIF by Kanye West
In that vein, should we not care about other social issues like healthcare, housing, assistance for disabilities, etc since war could start?

I’m not “whatabouting” - I’m suggesting that society can work on all of those things and just because there are external issues that affect us, it doesn’t mean we need to shut down everything to deal with it just yet.

The dog whistle is the suggestion that trans people are criminals because of a sample of 99 criminals who happen to be trans.

And yeah, I don’t like the article but because it’s not a relevant sample size for a population, however small it is. The population is trans people, not trans people who are incarcerated criminals, so that statistic wouldn’t be valid across the population.

Unless the insinuation is that the trans population are criminals, hence the dog whistle.

The dog whistle is the suggestion that trans people are criminals because of a sample of 99 criminals who happen to be trans.

And yeah, I don’t like the article but because it’s not a relevant sample size for a population, however small it is. The population is trans people, not trans people who are incarcerated criminals, so that statistic wouldn’t be valid across the population.

Unless the insinuation is that the trans population are criminals, hence the dog whistle.
Please provide a quote that suggested that. I read the article a couple of times and saw no such suggestions made. I think your bias is causing you to read words that don't exist in the article.
That's what the dog whistling is. It's the subtle insinuation without outright saying it.
Ah... so it's there, but you can't highlight it, I just have to take your world for it because you have no biases and are the arbiter of right and wrong?

I invite you to join-in on finding a quote that you can reasonably explain is a "dogwhistle" from the article.

I can guarantee that nobody significant to decisions on the former is spending any amount of time on the latter.
It is a handy distraction though, particularly when people start asking those in power uncomfortable questions about what they have been doing with their power...

Back