• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Development Officer ( TDO )

Thinkingofenlisting said:
I have a few questions about the job of Training and Development officer and I was hoping there might be some individuals on this forum that could answer a few questions for me.

1. The entry plan states that the preferred education is a masters in education with at least 3 years of experience as a training/educational consultant, is that set in stone? I know a lot of jobs have statements like this but they are not necessarily 100% accurate it's simply the perfect ideal the organization is looking for. I'm currently completing my masters degree in criminology and will be finished this fall. I lack the experience as an educational/training consultant from an objective standpoint, however my research revolves around the education system and the implementation of programs in schools. I also have an extensive history playing sports at high levels and I think that a lot of the skills from that are transferable in terms of experience. Would this be experience that could be considered?

2. Any other general information on the position would also be helpful ie. posting locations, career progression, work envrionment etc... I know some of this is on the website but if anybody has direct experience with this I would appreciate any insight you could offer.

Thanks

Hi.  I'm a TDO!

For Direct Entry, an MEd is pretty much a requirement. You don't say what other experience you have, it is possible that work experience in adult education and/or workplace training could do it.  The fact that your research in your Masters is in a related area is helpful.  But you say that it's about education programs in schools, so that's not really related to what we do.

Almost all TDOs are transfers from within the CAF.  Experience in the CAF training system (instructor, standards staff, etc) is a huge factor in getting accepted.  Most years we take only one DEO from the recruiting system.  The rest are OT, CT, UTPNCM and SCP (in service selection).

The sports will get you no farther ahead to being a TDO than it would for any other occupation.

Postings etc - most first postings will be to either a school or to a higher organization within the training system, advising the SMEs on training.  Other postings could be to equipment projects or to headquarters jobs.  Highest concentration of TDOs are in Kingston, Borden and Ottawa, several in Gagetown, Halifax, Esquimalt and Winnipeg, and ones and twos in several other bases.

Thanks Exgunner that's really helpful. My research isn't so much on the education programs specifically, but looking at the most effective ways that they can be implemented, so it focuses more on organizational structure, what works, what doesn't etc... Still seems like the deck is stacked against me though. Thanks again for the information.

My gap in knowledge is between our branch and the recruiting system.  I know, as an experienced TDO, what would or would not work in terms of previous experience.  I have a pretty good feel from talking to our senior TDOs what kind of person we want. 

But - the career counselors aren't TDOs, so I don't know what they would think of an application like yours.  Would they let you apply, and then let the TDev branch make the call?  Or would they just reject the application because you don't have an MEd?  No idea... 

If you want to do some more research to see if what you're doing aligns with what we do - Google "Systems Approach to Training" and/or "ADDIE model".  The CAF has its own slightly modified version of the Systems Approach to Training/ADDIE (we call it CFITES - Canadian Forces Individual Training and Education System).  If you could map your work to that, and convince a career counselor at the CFRC that your Masters, even though it's not an MEd, still has enough of the right parts, that might do it.

Another user (theforcewithin) recently went through the selection process for TDO, she has an M.Ed and was told the occupation is closed.

Hi. I'm a TDO!

For Direct Entry, an MEd is pretty much a requirement. You don't say what other experience you have, it is possible that work experience in adult education and/or workplace training could do it. The fact that your research in your Masters is in a related area is helpful. But you say that it's about education programs in schools, so that's not really related to what we do.

Almost all TDOs are transfers from within the CAF. Experience in the CAF training system (instructor, standards staff, etc) is a huge factor in getting accepted. Most years we take only one DEO from the recruiting system. The rest are OT, CT, UTPNCM and SCP (in service selection).

The sports will get you no farther ahead to being a TDO than it would for any other occupation.

Postings etc - most first postings will be to either a school or to a higher organization within the training system, advising the SMEs on training. Other postings could be to equipment projects or to headquarters jobs. Highest concentration of TDOs are in Kingston, Borden and Ottawa, several in Gagetown, Halifax, Esquimalt and Winnipeg, and ones and twos in several other bases.

I know this is an old thread, but figured maybe you would be able to answer this. I just got told "part of me PLAR has been completed and the second stage is commencing with a TDO". It's been about 6wks since my PLAR was submitted, does anyone know what this second stage means and what the average wait time is for the second stage?

I know this is an old thread, but figured maybe you would be able to answer this. I just got told "part of me PLAR has been completed and the second stage is commencing with a TDO". It's been about 6wks since my PLAR was submitted, does anyone know what this second stage means and what the average wait time is for the second stage?
I suspect in this case a TDO will be reviewing and comparing your credentials and experience against the qualification standard for your desired occupation. How long that will take is like asking how long a piece of string is - in short, it depends.

I suspect in this case a TDO will be reviewing and comparing your credentials and experience against the qualification standard for your desired occupation. How long that will take is like asking how long a piece of string is - in short, it depends.
Isn't that the point of the PLAR in the first place? I.e. isn't that what they have been doing for the last 6wks?

Isn't that the point of the PLAR in the first place? I.e. isn't that what they have been doing for the last 6wks?
I do not have the complete process workflow for all PLARs in front of me. Those conducting them have other duties and responsibilities as well. For smaller occupations it is generally more work, as there will be fewer prior examples to leverage.

Without knowing your exact circumstances it's hard to know for sure.

Some PLARs involve multiple qualifications which might be owned by different training agencies. This situation requires that the PLAR go to more than one person.

Another possibility is that a PLAR might result in part of a qualification being granted. When this happens there is often a requirement to determine how you will acquire the remaining part of the qualification. This can get complicated.

Back