• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Training Development Officer ( TDO )

Sir Dip a lot

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all...

This is my first post so ill introduce myself a bit...graduated business school last year, currently not working other than doing some charity work. Hoping to become an officer but I understand how difficult and lengthy that process can be.

Was wondering if someone could let me know if the training development officer requirements still require a masters in education... The older forces.ca states this was needed, but now it doesnt.

I know I can call a recruiter but just thought someone on here might be nice enough to answer my question.

Thanks in advance,

Nevermind, disregard my post. Forces.ca has updated again and apparently im shit out of luck

In a perfect world CF would have more funding and actually make it easy for willing citizens to join. Its a travesty how little value our nation puts in the armed forces-

Cheers

Sir Dip a lot said:
Nevermind, disregard my post. Forces.ca has updated again and apparently im crap out of luck

In a perfect world CF would have more funding and actually make it easy for willing citizens to join. Its a travesty how little value our nation puts in the armed forces-

Cheers

Why is it that you feel the CF should be easy to join? In some ways it's to our advantage that it's not. Nothing precludes you from joining any one of many officer or NCM trades. Training Development Officer is quite reasonably open only to people bringing relevant stuff skillsets to the table.

Have you looked at Logistics Officer or Health Care Administration Officer? Both really like business degrees.

I agree in some ways it's to your benefit -

My point of view is that of the more the merrier.....basically just find it unfortunate as i know of at least 5 people who would have joined if they thought it possible to happen in a timely manner. So instead of applying they entered a career in the business world and are now firmly entrenched in that way of life....yes I know you can argue that you wouldnt want them in the first place if not willing to sacrifice, but a lot of people get caught up in mortgages etc and they get stuck in that rut.

Just saying there are likely lots of people whom the military would benefit from having....the government has the same problem....the top minds of our generation have been brainwashed to only care about money etc.

Not to knock anyone entering a life of service, but usually the smartest minds enter the private sector...

I hope not to offend anyone with this but its only the hard truth

Look at the "brain drain" of doctors going to america etc....

Its not just the military's problem but the public sector in general does not do well to attract the "best and the brightest"...not entirely their fault its more of a underlying problem with western society

No problem. It's a good trade with good skills transfer to civi side if/when you get out.

Now it's a small trade that only hired a handful of applicants the last 2 years. But don't let that hold you back if it interests you.

If you go airforce with LogO HR is a specialty available as well. If you are looking at other people/hr positions besides training dev

Appreciate the advice Jester!

I have hoped to be able to get into something that could actually have an impact on how things are done....passed on law school so I could begin preparing for a life in the military (bad injuries etc that are requiring a great deal of physio)

Respect each and everyone of you for giving back to your country...there is no greater calling.

Since you seem to know your stuff....are most of the higher up decision makers from an infantry background?

Well the current chief of defence staff is from the airforce... So no ;)

There are leadership and higher headquarters and NDHQ jobs available to all officer occupations depending on rank

Very good to know....does the air force hiring process differ from that of the army?

*** I mean to say, is it any easier getting in? Or is it at par with the army in how long it will take ***

Nope - everyone goes through same hiring process and same BMOQ regardless of element.

Airforce and Navy are just smaller then the army - some sometimes for the trades that are in all 3 elements sometimes the army hires more of them. But also some jobs like HCA it doesn't matter what colour your uniform is. An airforce HCA might end up at the base clinic at the navy base in Halifax.

Ah alright!

Very good to know all of this....

Thanks for not scathing me in my questions as i've seen many a times on here Lol

Ive just been waiting till my injury heals up enough before I apply....I know BMQ wouldnt be for a while but on the off chance I got lucky and my process went faster than usual I want to be sure I could hande it

Sir Dip a lot said:
I agree in some ways it's to your benefit -

My point of view is that of the more the merrier.....basically just find it unfortunate as i know of at least 5 people who would have joined if they thought it possible to happen in a timely manner.

You're assuming they would be accepted......

Sir Dip a lot said:
Not to knock anyone entering a life of service, but usually the smartest minds enter the private sector...

If you're going too preach things as "the hard truth" then I'm sure you have studies and other data to back this up.

Sir Dip a lot said:
Since you seem to know your stuff....

Hmm,...tough seeing one of the "brightest minds" of our generation making an assumption so far off.

...and of course, taking it dry from a dumb 'public service' guy like myself.

Sir Dip a lot said:

It is your hard opinion, not necessarily the truth. What is it about the application process you think makes getting in to the Canadian Forces so difficult? It seems like any job to me. If you meet the requirements and they have job openings available, they interview you. If you impress them at the interview, they have no reason not to hire you (again, if jobs are available). If you don't meet the requirements or there are no job openings, they can't hire you obviously.

If the Canadian Forces had more relaxed hiring practices, the rate at which people quit would be increased, and that is a waste of tax payer money. Because tax payer money would be getting wasted, overall funding would likely be cut since it isn't seen as efficient. Funding getting cut leads to fewer jobs, lower quality equipment, less money for training, and overall a less protected country, and more Canadians dying. If someone can't reasonable plan a year ahead in their life to go through the hiring process to join the Canadian Forces, then the CF probably isn't missing out on anything not having them.

The military isn't exactly a particularly high paying job. They don't expect every position to be filled with the best and brightest. A lot of military jobs don't have a requirement for the best and brightest. If someone shows up every day and works hard, they are going to give the military their moneys worth. The brightest minds that do enter the military are not in it for the money. If the military tried to compete with the private sector to win some of their money hungry intelligent young minds, they would have to raise their pay. If the military raised their pay, the private sector would raise theirs, and it would continue like this.

It just isn't realistic to try to win over every intelligent person. And again, the military doesn't necessarily have a need or desire to get people who you personally think they are missing out on.

Recruiting for Army, Navy and Air Force are all basically the same. Some may have more or less steps depending on your position, but the recruiting process goes through the same basic steps.

Again, please let us know what you think specifically is off-putting about the hiring process.

Bruce all of your statements seem to be way off the mark....

Assuming they'd get in? Excuse me but are you trying to say having more people apply would be a bad thing?

Your second statement is not even worth a reply

And your third is as misguided as the rest....i was replying to someone offering advice, it had nothing to do with my previous post

And lastly, in NO way was my statement claiming intelligent people are nowhere to be found in the public service....its just a FACT that the public sector does not have the ability to draw the top students.....most of them are entering business programs. This is all a result of the culture we have been creating over the past 50 years....consumerism tends to lead people towards the pursuit of money

To JMetc...

The hiring process is entirely unique

Jobs in the private sector dont take months - years to complete....

How can any reasonable person argue that attracting the best and the brightest is something other than a good thing.... Yes, sure, not all the jobs are suited for an intellectual type person....but would you not agree that it would help any organization.

And I never said i wished it was more lax....just said that a lot of people are thrown off by the length of time it takes

You guys like turning things into attacks against the military

Oh and "who I personally think they are missing out on" --- its an objective statement that any organization would benefit from more people who can be considered intelligent

I am a firm believer that if you want it that bad - you will jump through the hoops and stick out the process.

There are applicants that go for Pilot - and get to ACS in trenton and fail the CAPS box (semi simulator). The only way the CF will look at you again is if you go get a pilots license.

So what do they do?? They go pay thousands of dollars and spend 100's of hours obtaining a commercial pilots license just so they can try again at their dream of being a RCAF Pilot.

If it is just something you are kicking around - then it may not be for you.

Jester_TG said:
I am a firm believer that if you want it that bad - you will jump through the hoops and stick out the process.

There are applicants that go for Pilot - and get to ACS in trenton and fail the CAPS box (semi simulator). The only way the CF will look at you again is if you go get a pilots license.

So what do they do?? They go pay thousands of dollars and spend 100's of hours obtaining a commercial pilots license just so they can try again at their dream of being a RCAF Pilot.

If it is just something you are kicking around - then it may not be for you.

Not an idea that im just kicking around....literally am undergoing intense physio to heal a bad injury so i have to wait until its recovered before I can apply as I wouldn't be considered physically fit

Sir Dip a lot said:
To JMetc...

The hiring process is entirely unique

Jobs in the private sector dont take months - years to complete....

How can any reasonable person argue that attracting the best and the brightest is something other than a good thing.... Yes, sure, not all the jobs are suited for an intellectual type person....but would you not agree that it would help any organization.

And I never said i wished it was more lax....just said that a lot of people are thrown off by the length of time it takes

You guys like turning things into attacks against the military

Oh and "who I personally think they are missing out on" --- its an objective statement that any organization would benefit from more people who can be considered intelligent

I've been kicking around for nine years now... I've not noticed any particular deficit in the raw intelligence of who we bring in, balanced again what they're joining to do. There are also a number of other intangible personality traits that are desirable, such as perseverance, commitment, patience, and goal-orientation. I've known some folks with average intellects to excel in our profession because they bring other things to the table.

There is no shortage of college and university educated people knocking at the doors of the recruiting centers for the roles that need them. We have our share of 'the best and the brightest'. The former and not always also the latter, and vice versa.

I'd contend that a lengthy recruiting process is more likely to dissuade from joining those who are more likely to hop to the next easy opportunity after their initial service is complete.

Brihard said:
I've been kicking around for nine years now... I've not noticed any particular deficit in the raw intelligence of who we bring in, balanced again what they're joining to do. There are also a number of other intangible personality traits that are desirable, such as perseverance, commitment, patience, and goal-orientation. I've known some folks with average intellects to excel in our profession because they bring other things to the table.

There is no shortage of college and university educated people knocking at the doors of the recruiting centers for the roles that need them. We have our share of 'the best and the brightest'. The former and not always also the latter, and vice versa.

I'd contend that a lengthy recruiting process is more likely to dissuade from joining those who are more likely to hop to the next easy opportunity after their initial service is complete.

I apologize if my statement was particularly enraging....I merely meant to point out how the public sector has a hard time competing with large corporations for the nations talent

I in NO way meant to imply you guys do not have any of these "best and brightest" , but merely that a great deal of my generations top minds tend to only strive for high paying corporate careers

Was just trying to throw a different opinion into the mix....

I completely understand inteligence is not the "be all, end all", and that many other attributes are highly sought after...

Back