• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

MaxZ said:
Hi Everybody,

I am meeting with a recruiter tomorrow to go over joining the reserves. I intend to join as soon as possible and train to become an officer (currently studying in university). I want to join either my local infantry or combat engineers regiment, however I may have to join armored because I have past injuries that interfere with walking and running long distances (especially with a pack).

I am wondering if I go the infantry officer route, what are the standards for physical fitness that a great officer (who always leads PT from the front) has? And what would be a good training and diet approach to attain these standards? Should I bulk, cut or try a body re-comp?  I have access to a gym at my university.

My current stats are:
Body Fat: about 15%
Height: 5'8"

Running: 5k in 27 minutes
Pushups: 45
Chin ups: 13

Weights (1RM):
Squat: 215lbs
Bench: 185 lbs
Deadlift: 305lbs

TL;DR: What should my goal running and strength stats be at to be a successful Infantry officer?

I hate to break it to you, but the armoured corps officers have to do some walking with us lower life form infantry types too, especially at Gagetown.

There's a lot of info on this forum already about what kind of training you need to do to be ready for Infantry Officer courses. Make your first recce assignment a search of the various pages on here.

I realized i posted this in the wrong thread, so re-post:

Alright. I want to become an Intelligence Operator and do professionally what i basically already do in my free time. The problem is that me and physical fitness is like matter and antimatter. I don't go out, i sit in front of a computer 12 hours a day, i am 6 foot 300 pounds, and have slight hip dyslapsia, so i have a bit of a duck-like gait. I am not, and will never be an athlete. If i was in shape; i probably wouldn't have spent my life in front of a computer researching conflicts, military history, intelligence, doctrines and all that jazz; i would most probably be out enjoying the usual fruits of civilian life. Ask me about my hobbies, love life or favorite sports and i'll stare blankly; but ask me about Jabhat al-Nusra, the Russian Western Military District or Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and i can talk all day long. I am through and through a nerd, perhaps even a neckbeard. I am pretty proficient with a rifle, that's about it. Even if we consider the fact that if an IO needs to use his fitness in combat it probably means he's about to become a POW or KIA anyway because he has failed and the entire frontline has collapsed; is there any hope at all that i may be able to enter the forces?

Tengu said:
I realized i posted this in the wrong thread, so re-post:

Alright. I want to become an Intelligence Operator and do professionally what i basically already do in my free time. The problem is that me and physical fitness is like matter and antimatter. I don't go out, i sit in front of a computer 12 hours a day, i am 6 foot 300 pounds, and have slight hip dyslapsia, so i have a bit of a duck-like gait. I am not, and will never be an athlete. If i was in shape; i probably wouldn't have spent my life in front of a computer researching conflicts, military history, intelligence, doctrines and all that jazz; i would most probably be out enjoying the usual fruits of civilian life. Ask me about my hobbies, love life or favorite sports and i'll stare blankly; but ask me about Jabhat al-Nusra, the Russian Western Military District or Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and i can talk all day long. I am through and through a nerd, perhaps even a neckbeard. I am pretty proficient with a rifle, that's about it. Even if we consider the fact that if an IO needs to use his fitness in combat it probably means he's about to become a POW or KIA anyway because he has failed and the entire frontline has collapsed; is there any hope at all that i may be able to enter the forces?

Tengu said:
Alright. I want to become an Intelligence Operator and do professionally what i basically already do in my free time. The problem is that me and physical fitness is like matter and antimatter. I don't go out, i sit in front of a computer 12 hours a day, i am 6 foot 300 pounds, and have slight hip dyslapsia, so i have a bit of a duck-like gait. I am not, and will never be an athlete. If i was in shape; i probably wouldn't have spent my life in front of a computer researching conflicts, military history, intelligence and all that jazz.  I am through and through a nerd, perhaps even a neckbeard. Even if we consider the fact that if an IO needs to use his fitness in combat it probably means he's about to become a POW or KIA anyway because the entire frontline has collapsed and Ivan or Hajji is already there; is there any hope at all that i may be able to enter the forces?

First:  It is really frowned upon to spam the site with basically the same question.

Second: If you are posting in this thread, perhaps you should read it.  There are many suggestions on Phuysical Fitness training, jogging, DIET, CARDIOVASCULAR, and strength training, etc. as the title of the thread suggest in this very thread.  Read and find some tips that will help you develop your abilities to run, do cardio, and perhaps lose weight.

Third:  We have a couple threads on becoming an Intelligence Operator or Intelligence Officer.  You need to develop your SEARCH skills if you want to become either one of them.  If you are incapable of finding information on the internet, then you are not going to make a good member of the Intelligence Branch in any capacity.

Welcome to Army.ca, Tengu.

I am not sure why we have two lengthy threads regarding various aspects of fitness here. One might presume that there is sufficient difference between the two to warrant independent continuation of both, but there is more likely more commonality than difference.

Your mission, as this is a topic of immediate concern to you:

Read both, completely, and let me know if they should remain independent or be merged, and, briefly, why you recommended whatever course of action you did.

The notions of a "frontline" and its requirement to collapse in order for an Int guy, RMS Clerk, Supply Tech, or any other member of a support occupation to have to exert him or herself in close proximity to an enemy, are irrelevant. People continually moved between KAF and FOBs in Afghanistan, by road and by Helicopter. Vehicles were heavily damaged and destroyed by IEDs  and direct attack. One of our Chinooks was shot down, with, fortunately, no loss of life but not without injury. Four crewmembers and up to thirty passengers were scant seconds from a flaming death when the machine landed, and were even more lucky to get out before it was completely consumed.

There is frequently a need to construct shelters and defensive works, repair damage to those, and move supplies and materials by hand, in extreme hot and cold temperatures, at varying terrain elevations, possibly while wearing ballistic protection and load-bearing equipment.

Everybody has to meet the enrolment standards. Everybody is required to maintain at least the minimum level of medical and physical fitness, both common and occupational standards (where the latter exist). Everybody is required to be able to function with some measure of effectiveness in a combat situation. Everybody has to be deployable.

If you want to join, you will need to start working on your physical fitness.

George Wallace said:
First:  It is really frowned upon to spam the site with basically the same question.

Second: If you are posting in this thread, perhaps you should read it.  There are many suggestions on Phuysical Fitness training, jogging, DIET, CARDIOVASCULAR, and strength training, etc. as the title of the thread suggest in this very thread.  Read and find some tips that will help you develop your abilities to run, do cardio, and perhaps lose weight.

Third:  We have a couple threads on becoming an Intelligence Operator or Intelligence Officer.  You need to develop your SEARCH skills if you want to become either one of them.  If you are incapable of finding information on the internet, then you are not going to make a good member of the Intelligence Branch in any capacity.

First: Again sorry for the double-post; there is no "delete post" function that i could use, or else i would have removed the post in the other thread.

Second and third:
And as a matter of fact i did read the thread, all of it; however i found little to no information for people who are don't simply have to work their shape up a bit; but have to start from less than absolutely nothing, who have to work their way up, at least as hard as the average joe has to work to reach "military fitness", to even reach the average joe's fitness level. People who want to join up tend to be on the athletic or at least reasonnably fit side and this thread is a reflection of that.
Now i'm not idiot and i know the CF has no use for a couch potato, what i wanted to know was if i can get to a fitness level that, even if markedly below the average, is a quantum leap from before; is there something like a second chance? I read that there is RFT, however the information on that is more or less "work out enough and you won't need to worry about it". Well that's fine and dandy for someone who runs 5km in half an hour, but not exactly helpful for someone who can't run 1km. For information to be found, it must exist, i assure you my OSINT capability is very adequate. That's why i had to ask; to have a frank, no BS opinion.

Loachman said:
Welcome to Army.ca, Tengu.

I am not sure why we have two lengthy threads regarding various aspects of fitness here. One might presume that there is sufficient difference between the two to warrant independent continuation of both, but there is more likely more commonality than difference.

Read both, completely, and let me know if they should remain independent or be merged, and, briefly, why you recommended whatever course of action you did.

The notions of a "frontline" and its requirement to collapse in order for an Int guy, RMS Clerk, Supply Tech, or any other member of a support occupation to have to exert him or herself in close proximity to an enemy, are irrelevant. People continually moved between KAF and FOBs in Afghanistan, by road and by Helicopter. Vehicles were heavily damaged and destroyed by IEDs  and direct attack. One of our Chinooks was shot down, with, fortunately, no loss of life but not without injury. Four crewmembers and up to thirty passengers were scant seconds from a flaming death when the machine landed, and were even more lucky to get out before it was completely consumed.

There is frequently a need to construct shelters and defensive works, repair damage to those, and move supplies and materials by hand, in extreme hot and cold temperatures, at varying terrain elevations, possibly while wearing ballistic protection and load-bearing equipment.

Everybody has to meet the enrolment standards. Everybody is required to maintain at least the minimum level of medical and physical fitness, both common and occupational standards (where the latter exist). Everybody is required to be able to function with some measure of effectiveness in a combat situation. Everybody has to be deployable.

If you want to join, you will need to start working on your physical fitness.
Right, thank you for your clear answer. It's obvious that today's asymmetrical warfare means that what was rear-line personnel yesteryear now face the same kinds of danger as the combat arms, and there's no such thing as a cozy office job when you're deployed somewhere (and i'm glad to hear that everybody made it out of that Chinook alive). What i was not sure about is wether or not the fitness standard (post basic qualification; occupational i think is the term) is the exact same across the forces, wether you are an infantryman or a clerk; and what exactly that occupational standard is. I'll go ask in the Int thread about that specificity, but i wanted to have a general idea.

As for the threads, it seems to me that while one's topic is Physical Fitness in general and the other specifically Running, they tend to talk about the same subject and turn around the same discussion points (fitness reqs, workouts, workout/running tips and advice). In my opinion there would be no problem if they were merged as running is such an integral part of fitness that you can't talk about one whitout talking about the other.

RFT is a joke. If you want a place in the CAF, earn it by getting yourself in shape. We have too many people in the CAF who are markedly below average in fitness already. That fitness level directly relates to your ability to work long hours in stressful situations for 6-9 months without a day off. No one is expecting an IntOp to be SARTech fit, but you'd be working in a trade that is predominately EX-combat arms, who grew up in a culture of fitness.

PuckChaser said:
RFT is a joke. If you want a place in the CAF, earn it by getting yourself in shape. We have too many people in the CAF who are markedly below average in fitness already. That fitness level directly relates to your ability to work long hours in stressful situations for 6-9 months without a day off. No one is expecting an IntOp to be SARTech fit, but you'd be working in a trade that is predominately EX-combat arms, who grew up in a culture of fitness.
The problem is that we have a hard enough time getting people in at all. At least with RTF we get them in the door and make them somewhat fit. I had to do a PT test when I joined but it took me less than two month to get in from first contact. There are not enough  fit,  smart and willing to wait 9 month, people walking in our doors. There are a lot of fit people who need jobs but they need them now. If we can get those people through the door we can turn the other people away until they can pass a pt test.

Those are 2 separate issues. One is a culture that endorses poor fitness with crap like RFT, and one is a poor system to complete paperwork in a timely fashion. They are completely unrelated. What good is a recruit if they're in fat camp for 2 months prior to starting training? They might as well stayed a civvie.

So here's a guy that wants to join but is nowhere near fit enough, and admits it.

BZ for that.

For people like this, why not screen them in for everything but do not enrol them. Give them a short course on fitness training, point them to a suitable fitness facility in their home town, then have them report in on a regular basis until they're fit enough to join?

daftandbarmy said:
For people like this, why not screen them in for everything but do not enrol them. Give them a short course on fitness training, point them to a suitable fitness facility in their home town, then have them report in on a regular basis until they're fit enough to join?

We're not Health Canada, that's not the CAF's responsibility. We can barely keep track of applicants as it is.

Your physical stats are meaningless, anyone can get into shape, no one is exempt short of having some grave disability.

Focus on a better diet, and improving your aerobic performance. My guess is as a guy your size, you likely already have a reasonable amount of power behind you from moving that weight around your entire life. What you don't have is the heart and lungs necessary to push those muscles.

Best of luck.

cld617 said:
Your physical stats are meaningless, anyone can get into shape, no one is exempt short of having some grave disability.

Focus on a better diet, and improving your aerobic performance. My guess is as a guy your size, you likely already have a reasonable amount of power behind you from moving that weight around your entire life. What you don't have is the heart and lungs necessary to push those muscles.

Best of luck.

I'll just piggy back on this post.

Tengu (I believe it was), your saying you are horridly out of shape right? Well you could not have been any worse then me.

4 maybe 5 months ago It took me 40+ minutes to run 2.4km, I could barely do sit ups and well its best we dont even talk about push ups.

Now I am running 2.4km in 12 minutes and 45 seconds, I can do 50 sit ups in a row and I have done my first push up ever.

Now take this next bit with salt, because I've never been through bmq or in the caf etc. Us chaps who have been on the other side of the "Fit-O-Meter" will have something that the chaps who have always been fit MAY not have.

We know what it is like to be fat lazy slobs and we developed the determination to beat and change ourselves. So yeah you are out of shape now, but drag yourself in to the gym and just do something, anything to start and do it mildly.. then keep going.

Now having said that, Ive lost 20lbs and the poster I am quoting is right at least in my humble opinion.... I used to be 250lbs and now 230lbs (6ft 4in) and dropping... the muscles i needed to move 250lbs are still there ive just added to them. Once you start doing some exercise it will be a compunding effect, less weight and more muscle equals you feeling beefier sooner.

All in all this is meant as a rah rah post for you. Develop a game plan and go. Good luck in your journey and ah, dont flame me guys.

Abdullah.

Loachman said:

Tengu said:
As for the threads, it seems to me that while one's topic is Physical Fitness in general and the other specifically Running, they tend to talk about the same subject and turn around the same discussion points (fitness reqs, workouts, workout/running tips and advice). In my opinion there would be no problem if they were merged as running is such an integral part of fitness that you can't talk about one whitout talking about the other.

Physical Fitness ( Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc

See also,

Run, running, jog, jogging discussions.

Looking for some pointers from Active or Retired Members on what i should be doing for a Weight Regime, likely be 2-3 times a week for the next 7 weeks till i head off top BMQ

I do many different things when it comes to fitness, and preparing for my future career (hopefully) in the CAF. 

I do cardio and resistance training and i know i can just go on google and find new things to do in my routines, but i am more interested in what YOU guys and gals did/do for your workouts.

If its Crossfit, bodybuilding, running it doesn't matter! I want to know how you all stay/get in shape :D

Usually just cardio with a mix of arms and chest in between when I get bored of cardio; sometimes I mix it up with some swimming after.

Aerobic training first and foremost, it should be everyone's base. Second comes muscular strength, followed by mobility and stability work to avoid injury. 

Remember no crossfit workout is complete until you post about it on facebook.

Jarnhamar said:
Remember no crossfit workout is complete until you post about it on facebook.
You forgot the part where you change your name to Chad and wear 4 different layers of pants/undergarments.

Back