• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Physical Fitness (Jogging, Diet, Cardiovascular, and Strength )

Hehe, a BENCH mark.... Ok I'll go now.
But yeah I do get what you mean now.

Running is not killing your squat potential at those weights/run times. With proper training, you should be able to work up to a double bodyweight squat and still pull off a 20 min 5k before you have to sacrifice one for another.

cld617 said:
Running is not killing your squat potential at those weights/run times. With proper training, you should be able to work up to a double bodyweight squat and still pull off a 20 min 5k before you have to sacrifice one for another.

See also,

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/22788.450
19 pages.

cld617 said:

Now I don't disagree with you for a 5k but after those distances pure strength trained muscle fibers wont perform the same for longer distance running at a fast pace as well as in a solid hobby of mine (Motocross) so im not to worried about what you think "I should" be able to squat, more the daily and weekly activity they endure and are trained for. Again, like mentioned before its all on what they are trained for.

The whole point is to not have muscle's which have only been trained for strength/hypertrophy, hence the concurrent strength and aerobic/anaerobic training programming everyone should be on who wishes to build strength. A 180lb lifter who trains a 360lb squat does not require leg and torso size of a powerlifter competing to lift 600lbs, so his structure does not inhibit him from attaining those strength levels as well as respectable run times, including runs of 10k+. I'm not saying he should be breaking records, but he is fully capable of being at the front of the pack on a 10k run among your average 6' 180lb infantry soldiers. It's all about proper training, diet and training more than one facet of fitness exclusively to create tissue that adapts to the demands.

cld617 said:
The whole point is to not have muscle's which have only been trained for strength/hypertrophy, hence the concurrent strength and aerobic/anaerobic training programming everyone should be on who wishes to build strength. A 180lb lifter who trains a 360lb squat does not require leg and torso size of a powerlifter competing to lift 600lbs, so his structure does not inhibit him from attaining those strength levels as well as respectable run times, including runs of 10k+. I'm not saying he should be breaking records, but he is fully capable of being at the front of the pack on a 10k run among your average 6' 180lb infantry soldiers. It's all about proper training, diet and training more than one facet of fitness exclusively to create tissue that adapts to the demands.

You’ve drifted so off what my original post was, your now trying to prove your opinion is right. So much more into it then just if you train for one exercise to squat what I think you should squat you can perform just as good. My opinion and experience mostly wrong.

My original post was some easy enough weights to get to, to have a relatively decent strength. Of course I mean weighted squat for full reps 8 not taking these strength training reps of 4. Again all depending on one individuals past weight lifting experience etc. Also, in my opinion, I think someone with little weight lifting or gym time would have the harder time gaining squat strength 1 because many people don’t like leg days 2 because it’s easy to do push ups at home etc not weighted squats.

Also, I would bet many professional Olympic athletes can’t squat 2X their body weight, so they must be imbalanced? No. Again, all about what you train and how you train.

A guy in the gym who is “balanced” I in better shape? Ones own opinion I believe. Vs someone with a vo2 max of 55 is imbalanced because he can’t squat 2X his body weight but can bench his own weight. Sorry I just can’t fatham that.

No, you posted poor information and I chose to correct it so new people trying to gain knowledge didn't think it was true. There's no gospel when it comes to fitness, but there is misinformation that makes its rounds.

You would be betting very, very wrong. Many olympic lifters can snatch twice their weight, squatting twice your weight is something any reasonably trained person should be doing a few years into lifting. Not trying to start a pecker measuring contest here, I just despise this attitude that you need to give up one for the other. Is that level of fitness required for the military? Of course not, but excuses that set limitations should be kept to yourself.

cld617 said:
No, you posted poor information and I chose to correct it so new people trying to gain knowledge didn't think it was true. There's no gospel when it comes to fitness, but there is misinformation that makes its rounds.

You would be betting very, very wrong. Many olympic lifters can snatch twice their weight, squatting twice your weight is something any reasonably trained person should be doing a few years into lifting. Not trying to start a pecker measuring contest here, I just despise this attitude that you need to give up one for the other. Is that level of fitness required for the military? Of course not, but excuses that set limitations should be kept to yourself.

First off, misinformation? No that wasn’t I was simply suggesting something to aim for before basic as many people can’t do any of the three weights I suggested.

Also, yes it would hinder. Your to short sighted. If one does many many other things they simply don’t have the time to be doing straight heavy squats because they don’t need it for what they are currently doing. Let’s say a marathon runner trains and trains for marathons.... you would say he should still squat 2X their weight. Ok  ::)

Once again all on what is trained for.
And there was no misinformation being spread with my original post.
Your opinion. My opinion. That’s why we live where we do so we can all share it. 

Bbmoveup said:
Let’s say a marathon runner trains and trains for marathons.... you would say he should still squat 2X their weight. Ok  ::)

Look up Alex Viada. No there is nothing physically holding someone back from being able to both run a marathon, and squat double bodyweight, Alex squats well over that and does ultramarathons, triathlons and long distance cycles. Is he or someone else who trains both disciplines going to be a record setter? Nope, but that does not prevent him from being capable in both. Just as squatting 2x+ bodyweight does not prevent people in the military from running fast times as compared with their peers. I accept that focusing on one hinders you in another area, I do not accept the claims that getting above a novice level 200lb squat is going to hurt you from progressing in your running if you're not an extremely fast runner. You're not going to be knocking out 16 minute 5k's, but you're certainly capable of breaking into 18's.

cld617 said:
Look up Alex Viada. No there is nothing physically holding someone back from being able to both run a marathon, and squat double bodyweight, Alex squats well over that and does ultramarathons, triathlons and long distance cycles. Is he or someone else who trains both disciplines going to be a record setter? Nope, but that does not prevent him from being capable in both. Just as squatting 2x+ bodyweight does not prevent people in the military from running fast times as compared with their peers. I accept that focusing on one hinders you in another area, I do not accept the claims that getting above a novice level 200lb squat is going to hurt you from progressing in your running if you're not an extremely fast runner. You're not going to be knocking out 16 minute 5k's, but you're certainly capable of breaking into 18's.

In the end of the day who cares what your running times, or your squat weight is. Seriously. You have to question your own self esteem if you are doing all this just to boast about your times or weights. Fun fact: Most people don't care how much you lift or how fast you can run. There isn't a trade in the CF that requires you to become a long distance runner or professional power lifter. 9 times out of 10 you will injure yourself running continuously or lifting heavy weights.

What's the number one reason why people workout? To stay healthy and look good naked.

On that note folks, let’s bring focus back to information specifically needed for the purpose of this thread.

Interesting concept for a new exercise tool. The idea of getting a full range of motion is key to this device, and I'm sure using it or something similar will help with physio and people recovering from injuries, as well as helping people avoid injuries in the future. I'm a bit more dubious about the "packing on muscle mass" claim:

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/04/probar-helps-you-train-for-mobility-with-loaded-and-resisted-exercise.html#so-post-comments-144327

Several embedded videos on how the device works on the link.

Another fitness gizmo that while may serve a purpose, can easily be replaced with something cheaper. A broom handle and some $10 resistance bands can do everything that can do...

I can't believe I'm advocating the use of a treadmill for fitness purposes, outside is the best gym, here's a pretty good test:

The 10/10 Test

http://www.stack.com/a/7-treadmill-workouts-that-dont-suck

TheUS Army is instituting a new fitness test. Interestingly, in the article it states the old fitness test (pushups, sit-ups, 2 mile run) is a "40% predictor" of success in performing field tasks:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/10/armys-new-fitness-test-ready-by-2020-officials-wan/?utm_source=Boomtrain&utm_medium=manual&utm_campaign=20171227&utm_term=newsletter&utm_content=morning

Army to scrap traditional pushups, situps as part of fitness test
By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times - Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Military officials say the U.S. Army will roll out its new and improved fitness test by October 2020.
The Army Physical Fitness Test that soldiers have known since the 1980s — 2 minutes of pushups; 2 minutes of situps; the 2-mile run — will be retired before the end of the decade. While the 2-mile run will still conclude the assessment, five other events seen as a better predictor of successfully completing combat tasks have been added.

“The Army Combat Fitness Test [ACFT] will ignite a generational, cultural change in Army fitness and become a cornerstone of individual Soldier combat readiness,” Maj. Gen. Malcolm Frost, commander of the Army’s Center of Initial Military Training, said Monday. “It will reduce attrition and it will reduce musculoskeletal injuries and actually save, in the long run, the Army a heck of a lot of money.”

ACFT’s events include:

Strength deadlift: “With a proposed weight range of 120 to 420 pounds … ACFT will require Soldiers to perform a three-repetition maximum deadlift … and the weights will be increased.”

Standing power throw: “Soldiers toss a 10-pound ball backward as far as possible to test muscular explosive power that may be needed to lift themselves or a fellow Soldier up over an obstacle or to move rapidly across uneven terrain.”

Hand-release pushups: “Soldiers start in the prone position and do a traditional pushup, but when at the down position they release their hands and arms from contact with the ground and then reset to do another pushup.”

Sprint/drag/carry: “Soldiers will perform sprints, drag a sled weighing 90 pounds, and then hand-carry two 40-pound kettlebell weights.”

Leg tuck: “Soldiers lift their legs up and down to touch their knees/thighs to their elbows as many times as they can.”

2-mile run.

The current PT test is only a 40 percent predictor of success for performing in combat and executing warrior tasks and battle drills,” Maj. Gen. Frost said, Army News Service reported. “This test is approximately an 80 percent predictor of performing based on our ability to test the physical components of combat fitness.”

Michael McGurk, director of research and analysis at Center for Initial Military Training, told ANS that scoring would differ depending on each soldier’s military occupational specialty.

“The more physically challenging your MOS, the more you’ll be required to do at the minimum levels,” Mr. McGurk said. “In 1980, running shoes were relatively a new invention. The Army was still running in boots for the PT test back then. Change is difficult, but we’re an Army that adapts well to change.”

Over 2,000 soldiers have already taken the test and provided feedback to Army Training and Doctrine Command and Forces Command, ANS reported.

Thucydides said:
TheUS Army is instituting a new fitness test. Interestingly, in the article it states the old fitness test (pushups, sit-ups, 2 mile run) is a "40% predictor" of success in performing field tasks:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jul/10/armys-new-fitness-test-ready-by-2020-officials-wan/?utm_source=Boomtrain&utm_medium=manual&utm_campaign=20171227&utm_term=newsletter&utm_content=morning

Test looks fun.  I find our FORCE Test is fun as well and the incentive levels give me a target to aim for.

Hi daftandbarmy,

Thanks for the 10/10 treadmill workout. Very interesting! I will give it a try tomorrow!

It's kind of interesting just how physically intensive caring for my 8 1/2 month old niece has been, considering the amount of heavy lifting involved - carting around a bag of baby supplies that at this point weighs more than the actual baby (got to love the paranoid instincts of a new father - with unnatural Tetris skills), lifting her over my head to get a giggle because I'm taller than her father, dodging the occasional unexpected projectile, holding her until my arm goes numb, keeping pace with her and her mother when going out on errands, and many other things.

Obviously, I'm partially joking. Most of the "workout" I get from helping out with her is nothing more than constant repetition of day-to-day tasks, but I can't deny the fact that having the little one around is a huge psychological boon when it comes to myself and my family considering our physical well-being. We've all made some changes to our diet as a result, in addition to being more conscious to other easily overlooked means to improving overall health.

So far, the most beneficial improvement she's given my work out is that I can mirror her growth with it by adjusting the weights I lift. As I'm already doing my routine four times a day (When I get up, after each meal, and just before bed), by the time she hits a weight milestone, I'll be comfortably curling that amount. I'm already doing 50 reps of 5kg (her current weight) each time, in addition to the rest of my routine. The shifts to my diet and sleep patterns are just a bonus.

Volidyr said:
Hi daftandbarmy,

Thanks for the 10/10 treadmill workout. Very interesting! I will give it a try tomorrow!

How did it go?

Now that my life absorbs all of my formerly considerable 'outside exercise time', I'm using the treadmill (and stair climber) more often. Based on my last 3 weeks, covering a climbing binge totaling about 9,000 vertical metres and over 40kms - mostly in the Rockies and Vancouver Island ranges - I'm pretty happy with the results.

Which means I didn't collapse in a snotty heap followed by shoveling down the Advil.... :)

Hi, I plan to join the military 1 year from now I want to be in the airforce and at the moment Im just working out, improving my physical fitness. The only thing that concerns me joining is the 2.4km run test. I am physically strong, I can lift weights I can jog 5k for 29 minutes, I can push ups 50, I can squat 160 pounds for 8 reps 3 sets as an example. My height/weight is 5'8/140lbs.  I saw that the requirement is 10 mins or so for 2.4k run. Right now, I can do somewhere around 14 to 15 mins. My question is Lets say I passed all the test except only managed getting 14 mins or so for 2.4k, what are the chances of me getting in basic military training? Would I automatically fail if I didnt pass the 2.4k requirement? Thanks

Back