• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Need computer for RMC courses but have no $

Griswald DME

Inactive
Reaction score
The Canex at the base I am posted to is being closed down shortly and we are too busy buying a house, etc. to quickly purchase a computer from the Canex on the no interest loan thing.   And we can't afford to purchase a computer right now out of pocket.

SISIP emergency loan isn't available to me because I've only been in Reg. force for two weeks now (my reserve time doesn't count apparently) and you need to be in reg. force for 12 months, and have a minimum of 12 months left in your contract.   Plus its 4% interest, so even if I did qualify its not a great deal as thats higher than prime for pete's sake.

I have no clue how I am going to purchase a computer before my course starts in mid April.   Anyone here have any information on educational loans, etc. for CF members?   I don't want to pay more than prime or I'd just go to the bank and get out a personal loan, something I'd rather avoid right now.

Thanks,

DME

Check out Dell.ca or similar companies.
At Dell you can get a good basic computer for about $500, with a payment plan of under $30 a month, so long as your credit is in good standing.

I have two ideas that I can think of for you,

1. My prefered method, is buying the parts and puting them together.  www.tigerdirect.ca is one of the best suppliers around, check with your local suppliers, and mybe you have the know how, or mybe someone you know does.  As someone mentioned above, you can get a really nice machine for a small price.  I myself wouldn't touch dell with a pole, but that is me.

2. check local newspapers, online buy/sell adds etc.  I am assuming from what you want, that you do not need a high preformance machine, that will play the newest and greatest games.  Just a work machine is what came to my mind, and possibly small games if you desired.  The papers generally have some pretty nice machines in them, older of course, but nice all the same.

Either way above, you can get a good deal in different aspects.  If you need any opinions about a machine that you see in the paper, just drop me a line. 

Gubbels 

You should give RMC a call.

Most schools let you sign out laptops.  You could just continuesly sign out a laptop very couple of days.  Buy a USB drive for 50 bucks to store your data.

If you are really without options, PM me - I just upgraded, the boy took what he wanted from the old computer, and so I now have a functioning (slowly) "spare" which you can have gratis - in Toronto.  All I ask in return is that you remember the favour when I end up working for you...

Dave

Pieman said:
Check out Dell.ca or similar companies.
At Dell you can get a good basic computer for about $500, with a payment plan of under $30 a month, so long as your credit is in good standing.

I got my computer through dell and with all the stuff included, like a printer, scanner, speakers etc mine was around 1600 with tax, delivery and interest. I have a payment plan of $47 a month. Dell is good if you want something quick and with low monthly payments. I am a student and they gave me $5000 in credit so it shouldnt be a problem gettin credit . Just be careful that they dont talk you into something you dont need. The sales guy on the phone that I had was awesome though and it only took like a week for it to be delivered.

If your in need of a computer on short notice, there may be a few lan centers around your area where you can pay like $5/hour to use their computers. Ask around/research to see if theres any near campus.

Thanks everyone for the kind offers and good advice.  My computer problem has been solved.  The learning centre loaned me a laptop for the duration of my course.

Thanks again!

DME

Back