• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Student Reserves

Boder

Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I’m currently a Second year history student at TMU (Ryerson) and have been interested in joining for a long time after university as an active member but have finally decided why not now as a reservist? Unfortunately recruitment centres are now closed until Jan 2nd so I’m here right now with a few questions.

1. If I join now would I be in the process of becoming a officer or start out as an enlisted member and become able to apply for officer once I get my degree?

2. I’m interested in getting jump wings and being put in a jump company. Is this realistically possible to get immediately or soon after joining if I pick a certain job? Or am I SoL and have to work extremely hard to prove myself and gain enough merit to be able to do the course?

3. How long would the entire training process (BMOQ, trade school, Jump School, etc) take and how soon would these trainings be available to me?

1. You can be a university student and still be an officer in the Reserves.

2. Your best shot at this is joining the Queen's Own in Toronto. They have a parachute tasking and regularly jump with 3RCR. You drastically lower your chances of a jump course by joining another infantry unit, lowered further by joining any other combat arms unit and make them almost nil by a combat support unit (sigs, medics, etc).

3. Too many variables to tell. If there's a BMQ that's running in January, you've likely missed it. Potentially you can complete BMQ/trade training in the summer and work to earn a jump course slot over the next year or 2 based on the unit's criteria for nominating folks.

Hello Everyone! I’m currently a Second year history student at TMU (Ryerson) and have been interested in joining for a long time after university as an active member but have finally decided why not now as a reservist? Unfortunately recruitment centres are now closed until Jan 2nd so I’m here right now with a few questions.

1. If I join now would I be in the process of becoming a officer or start out as an enlisted member and become able to apply for officer once I get my degree?

2. I’m interested in getting jump wings and being put in a jump company. Is this realistically possible to get immediately or soon after joining if I pick a certain job? Or am I SoL and have to work extremely hard to prove myself and gain enough merit to be able to do the course?

3. How long would the entire training process (BMOQ, trade school, Jump School, etc) take and how soon would these trainings be available to me?

You're probably looking at a RESO entry and no, a parachute course is not out of the question. Sometimes it takes awhile depending on whether you're fit enough, have completed your trades training and if courses are offered with vacancies for reservists:

You can absolutely join at this stage in your degree. Whether you go noncommissioned (start as a Private) or commissioned (start as an Officer Cadet) is a matter of your preference, if your unit has openings, and if you merit it compared to other applicants. There are far many more positions for noncommissioned members.

In the reserves, nobody gives a damn if you’re going to university and are noncommissioned. Especially in an urban unit, most of the troops are likely university or college students. I remember one year where U was an infantry section commander (8-10 troops) and we had about 25 combined years of post secondary education between us.

Queen’s Own are definitely your best chance of getting a jump course in the PRes. It’s by no means an automatic given or something that’s you’re entitled to. But that unit has the best odds.

Applying now, you might get through basic training this summer if you’re noncommissioned, depending on how courses line up. Officer training takes longer, and you would be unlikely to complete it all in 2024 if your availability is limited to summer break from university.

Back