• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Now let's not start bringing facts into this, it will only confuse things even further.😉
Zactly!

Fun fact: if you take ‘Charest’ and take away the ‘e’ and add two ‘i’ two ‘t’ an ‘n’ and move the ‘a’ you get…

‘Anti-Christ!’

1658766014868.gif

The point I was making though, is that we have a very leadership race that regardless of who wins, the party will likely stay fractured. I am not confident any of them can unite the party and win.

Will it matter? Being honest. Every time I provide a link to you, you go off about the paid media.
I'd enjoy a link - and only apply the same sized grain of salt I reserve for any MSM :)

Will it matter? Being honest. Every time I provide a link to you, you go off about the paid media.
Assuming your supposition is accurate; you're speaking of two very different levels as if they are equal.

PP (someone from Huawei supports him who PP may or may not acknowledge)
vs.
Charest (actually was employed by Huawei)

Assuming your supposition is accurate; you're speaking of two very different levels as if they are equal.

PP (someone from Huawei supports him who PP may or may not acknowledge)
vs.
Charest (actually was employed by Huawei)
Not disagreeing. I can understand the trepidation of voting for Charest with that link. Neither bothers me to be honest as I don’t see China and Canada working well together right now and Huawei has effectively been banned.

Given I cannot find the link to what or when I thought I had seen the story I will recant that statement for now.

Not disagreeing. I can understand the trepidation of voting for Charest with that link. Neither bothers me to be honest as I don’t see China and Canada working well together right now and Huawei has effectively been banned.

Given I cannot find the link to what or when I thought I had seen the story I will recant that statement for now.
It was a Toronto Sun article a couple months back. The Huawei exec in question is Alykhan Velshi, a pretty well known name federally and provincially in Canadian political conservative circles. At present he’s a Huawei VP.

I put little stock in the Sun and am not opining on how credible this is, but this is likely what Remius was referring to. He does have a commendable habit of having his facts straight.

It was a Toronto Sun article a couple months back. The Huawei exec in question is Alykhan Velshi, a pretty well known name federally and provincially in Canadian political conservative circles. At present he’s a Huawei VP.

I put little stock in the Sun and am not opining on how credible this is, but this is likely what Remius was referring to. He does have a commendable habit of having his facts straight.

Thanks. That’s correct, but I apologize for not having the info on hand when making the statement. I couldn’t remember where I had seen or heard it.

Of course if the Chinese didn't want PP, one way to sour his appeal would be to pretend to like him...

Of course if the Chinese didn't want PP, one way to sour his appeal would be to pretend to like him...
They’re intelligent enough to reasonable assess that if PP wins, he’ll be the leader of the Still Her Majesty’s Loyal Opposition…

Myopic, sorry to say.

Charest was federal PC leader in the 90s and leader of the campaign that kept Canada united.

Anyways:

Charest gets a giant, get out of jail for life card from me for his actions in saving Canada in 1995, right after J Chretien crapped the bed.

Don’t love that he worked for Huawei, but perhaps he learned something about the Chinese during the experience…

Charest gets a giant, get out of jail for life card from me for his actions in saving Canada in 1995, right after J Chretien crapped the bed.

Don’t love that he worked for Huawei, but perhaps he learned something about the Chinese during the experience…

Well put.

Another source showing Charest is the more likely to secure a CPC win.

That's % of overall vote though, not distribution. Crushing it out west won't matter unless they take seats in ON/QC.

I think Charest has a better chance of forming a government (even a minority one), while PP will continue to rail on as a reformer in second place.

I can also see JT retiring, as they are setting up Chrystia Freeland pretty well, so polls like that would probably help make the decision. Politics aside, being in charge throughout the pandemic must have been insane, and he's probably at the career or family decision point that a lot of us in the military hit.

I suspect some of us ae looking past the real issue. Canadians only rarely vote FOR someone or something; most elections, since circa 1900, have been about throwing the rascals out. We have, it seems to me, "decided," en masse, that 8 to 10 years is about the max that any regime should stay in power. I suspect that the state of the economy is in second place - many, many people do "vote with their pocketbooks" and a stagnant economy is bad news for the party in power.

2023 marks eight years since Justin Trudeau's Liberal Party was elected; by 2025 when his confidence and supply agreement with the NDP expires it will be 10 years. My suspicion is that he's toast.

I think the party leaders do matter - I think Trudeau mattered and his party will find it hard to replace him because that may mean a major shift in direction. I think that IF the CPC selects Pierre Poilievre it will not mean a major shift for most party members because I also suspect that PP campaigned right for the Party leadership and will shift, fairly quickly, as did Erin O'Toole, to the middle when he is campaigning to win the National prize. As others have correctly pointed out the Conservative vote is inefficient: stronger than needed in the prairies and weaker than it would be in the big urban centres and, most importantly, in the suburbs around Vancouver and throughout South Western Ontario.

My 2¢: time is Justin Trudeau' implacable, most formidable and, very likely, unbeatable foe; it is, very simply and in the minds of most Canadian voters, time for him to go.

The Conservative leadership campaign is somewhat predictable: the progressives vs the reformers. The campaign that really matters, the national general election is FOR the broadly socially moderate, fiscally cautious, progressive voters - and they live in the suburbs and small cities all across Canada. Both the CPC and the LPC have rock solid core votes of about 20%, the NDP has, maybe 10% and the BQ has 5%. That means that 45% of Canadian voters can be persuaded to vote for any of the main parties. It means that the 50% vote share that both Diefenbaker (1958) and Mulroney (1984) earned is still achievable. The Conservatives won those tub-thumping majorities despite the fact that both Diefenbaker and Mulroney were divisive party leaders: Canadians were, in both cases, ready - beyond just ready - eager for change.

I worry less about who leads the CPC than I do about who writes the platform. The platform (manifesto) has to speak to what matters to the moderate middle of the political spectrum because they will decide the outcome.

I suspect that Trudeau won’t be running in the next round. He’s secured time to cement his legacy and he’ll hand over to Freyland. She’s being shielded for a reason.

Right now, there is not a single CPC leadership candidate or leader of another federal party that is on the same level as PP's social media short clip videos. He is carrying the right messages far and wide.

Back