• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

Not that they are extremely sensitive and constantly looking for that sort of stuff.
MORE than fair take there.

What with the flag "alternative take" discussion elsewhere, we'll see if anyone picks up and runs with any alternate takes on the "I know where you're coming from because I come from that place, too" line.

Bit of an odd headline, it's not really plotting if they are doing it openly, and no different than the existing so-con and other groups that are already operating within the CPC.
It’s reporting how some CPC members view it.

I see it the way you do.

How is this plotting, in the middle of a leadership race?

This literally what it is all about- putting together a faction/coalition large enough to defeat the other candidate.
"Faction building" took up more room in the headline than "plotting"? :)

Which speaks to vote efficiency, which was the CPC’s issue in 2021…vote efficiency eats popular vote for breakfast.

That poll should be concerning to PMO/The Laurentians…
I think it's actually the opposite, given that the CPC seems to be en route to crowning PP as the leader. He's destined to be the bridesmaid, so the LPC can just focus on the status quo, instead of worrying about being replaced as the Government.

I think it's actually the opposite, given that the CPC seems to be en route to crowning PP as the leader. He's destined to be the bridesmaid, so the LPC can just focus on the status quo, instead of worrying about being replaced as the Government.
‘Concerning’ in that it’s the black swan event the LPC wouldn’t want to see happen.

Also don’t underestimate the CPC’s leadership vote methodology…still lots of folks who thought MacKay would trounce O’Toole. There are some funky-isms that are not the same as a FPTP vote basis.

Some polling data from 338 about how an election could shape up if the CPC were under PP vs Charest.
Interesting. Note that nearly all the lost prairie votes under Charest leadership go to PPC, which makes them utterly inconsequential. CPC would still very nearly clean sweep the prairies.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; CPC unnecessarily reinforce success in the prairies at the expense of forming government, and they are continuing to fail to recognize the imperative to elect a leader who can win an election on any scale larger than within their own party. Charter can beat the Liberals in Ontario and Quebec. Poilievre cannot.

I was not part of the sample on this poll, but I would have been another data point for exactly that.

I see this as a lose lose right now.

Charest, would seem to be a better alternative to Canadians rather than PP. But…

If Charest wins, I bet that PP’s base would go to the PPC or stay home. If PP wins, red tories and moderates stay home or vote Liberal. Both options favour the LPC.

If I was to prognosticate, I think PP wins the leadership. But won’t win the election. Regardless of who wins the leadership though, I think a split is coming…

I see this as a lose lose right now.

Charest, would seem to be a better alternative to Canadians rather than PP. But…

If Charest wins, I bet that PP’s base would go to the PPC or stay home. If PP wins, red tories and moderates stay home or vote Liberal. Both options favour the LPC.

If I was to prognosticate, I think PP wins the leadership. But won’t win the election. Regardless of who wins the leadership though, I think a split is coming…
Yeah, but as the poll breakdown shows. CPC mostly only loses prairie votes to PPC. PPC still remain irrelevant from a seat count standpoint. Which also communicates a lot about the impact PP is having on the CPC’s base. Prairie votes are votes the CPC can afford to lose without impacting their seat count. Meanwhile they pick up seats in ON and QC, which, to hear a lot of Conservatives from the Prairies whine, is apparently where the election is decided.

So, in the interest of being government versus opposition, maybe CPC should do that.

But they won’t.

Interesting tidbit from inside the campaign...

"The source added that they don’t believe anyone has a real handle on who the new 675,000-plus member Conservative Party of Canada are, and won’t until September 11 when the ballots are counted and the granular analysis is done.

But “the vast, vast majority” of Poilievre’s membership sales were to people who are new to partisan politics, the source said.

“If they voted, I bet the only other time they voted was for Trudeau in 2015 because they wanted to legalize pot,” the source said.

“It’s a libertarian bent to people that you see at the events.”"

https://globalnews.ca/news/9009446/this-will-be-pierre-poiliveres-party-conservatives-reckon-with-a-new-direction/

How do you keep a group like this mobilized until the next election when the primary catalyst is getting further and further in the rearview mirror? Is this group indicative of a broader base of support, or representative of a near perfect capture/conversion rate of those of certain bent?

Jean Charest, former paid consultant for Huawei and former Liberal, becoming the leader of the CPC or even the PM would be a huge win for.... China.

Interesting. Note that nearly all the lost prairie votes under Charest leadership go to PPC, which makes them utterly inconsequential. CPC would still very nearly clean sweep the prairies.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; CPC unnecessarily reinforce success in the prairies at the expense of forming government, and they are continuing to fail to recognize the imperative to elect a leader who can win an election on any scale larger than within their own party. Charter can beat the Liberals in Ontario and Quebec. Poilievre cannot.

I was not part of the sample on this poll, but I would have been another data point for exactly that.

Power at the expense of continuing the continuance?

Better to try and fail.

Jean Charest, former paid consultant for Huawei and former Liberal, becoming the leader of the CPC or even the PM would be a huge win for.... China.
But people that support PP conveniently ignore the senior Huawei exec that has come out in support of PP.

And Quebec liberals are not federal liberals. That fact escapes some. The fact that they label him that way shows that the CPC is not the big tent party it pretends to be.

Meh.

Canada is already in China’s back pocket, so it’s effectively a nothing burger to Beijing if Charest were the next PM.

Heck, Xi Jinping may even prefer Charest’s thinning blonde/grey afro to Trudeau’s ’Dumb&Dumber’ coiffe…

But people that support PP conveniently ignore the senior Huawei exec that has come out in support of PP.

And Quebec liberals are not federal liberals. That fact escapes some. The fact that they label him that way shows that the CPC is not the big tent party it pretends to be.
Now let's not start bringing facts into this, it will only confuse things even further.😉

Back