• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

I’m an old supporter of the Federal PC party. Unless something drastic changes, I’ll still be without a party.

I have been ver disappointed with Mr. O’Toole lately. At first I thought it would be stupid to replace the leader again in so many years but he never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

I am not confident that the Tories will find anyone better though. A lot of people are talking about Pierre Pollievre, but I think he’s a good attack dog, not a leader. He will just turn the party into a base-only party, turning off the suburban voters they need to win elections.

Unfortunately, I see the Tories trying to ape the”popular front” politics down south of “no enemies to the right” (or “no enemies to the left” if you’re a Dem). Great for getting 25% of the vote who are p!$$ed off but not great if you want to govern with a majority.

I have been ver disappointed with Mr. O’Toole lately. At first I thought it would be stupid to replace the leader again in so many years but he never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

I am not confident that the Tories will find anyone better though. A lot of people are talking about Pierre Pollievre, but I think he’s a good attack dog, not a leader. He will just turn the party into a base-only party, turning off the suburban voters they need to win elections.

Unfortunately, I see the Tories trying to ape the”popular front” politics down south of “no enemies to the right” (or “no enemies to the left” if you’re a Dem). Great for getting 25% of the vote who are p!$$ed off but not great if you want to govern with a majority.
We’ll see if he survives but it’s not looking good.

Nah, it only works in the USA because there are two parties trying to desperately widen the gap between them.

CPC (or a faction of it) just wants to be a protest party.

A lot of people are talking about Pierre Pollievre, but I think he’s a good attack dog, not a leader. He will just turn the party into a base-only party, turning off the suburban voters they need to win elections.

He reminds me of Copps, Tobin and Boudria during the Mulroney years - a good attack dog when you're in opposition, but not leadership material.

So it seems:

Erin O’Toole never misses an opportunity to miss an opportunity​

As a centre-right voter, I fear that faction is in the ascendancy in the party which will guarantee Liberal governments for the foreseeable future.
Yup.

I said it after the election, and I will say it now.

All talk of this being Justin Trudeaus last election is premature. If the CPC self destructs and he can at the very least sleepwalk to a minority government, and be within 30k well placed votes from a majority, he's not going anywhere.

CPC (or a faction of it) just wants to be a protest party
There is a fraction that wants to be PPC and there is a fraction that wants to be the old PC. The CPC would have no problem snow-ploughing the PPC into oblivion if the party decides to launch that way, but they will loose substantially more from right of centre voters who walk away.

Canadians vote out parties after a certain amount of time in power.

In 2015, Canadians voted out the CPC.

In both 2019 and 2021, despite being incumbents (and in 2021 despite papering Canada with money) the LPC failed to win a majority.

If there was a reasonable opposition party with a credible leader the LPC would not be in power today.

The current PM is only the PM because the CPC has failed to provide an alternative.

Last edited:
The previous article mentioned the issue over C-4/C-6…this indicates that about half (or more) of the CPC is Reform/Alliance/PPC-like and a thin half or less is old PC.

Trudeau’s going to roll 2023 even if he spends the entire campaign surfing in Tofino…

Tell me your out of touch with Canadians without telling me you are out of touch. If that is really what triggered it, then the far right of the party has a string grip on the CPC, which in the end destroy them and ensure another decade of liberal rule.

It may be time for moderate conservatives to just move to team red and effect change from there. Let the CPC become a protest party and be perpetually stuck in opposition . They’ve shown that they don’t want to govern seriously.

Unless they can get a leader that can keep the party in line (and I can’t see anyone that can) then time for a different approach.

I'm so tired of this. If my party can't understand how shitty we are and fix it then we have no business beating Trudeau or being Canada's governing power.

#spoilingmyvote

It may be time for moderate conservatives to just move to team red and effect change from there. Let the CPC become a protest party and be perpetually stuck in opposition . They’ve shown that they don’t want to govern seriously.

Unless they can get a leader that can keep the party in line (and I can’t see anyone that can) then time for a different approach.

I will stop going to polling stations what so ever before I ever vote for the Liberal party again.

I'm so tired of this. If my party can't understand how shitty we are and fix it then we have no business beating Trudeau or being Canada's governing power.

#spoilingmyvote

I will stop going to polling stations what so ever before I ever vote for the Liberal party again.
I understand the feeling. I really can’t see myself voting LPC as long as JT is there.

But my counter is to have enough Right of Center/red tories that can help balance the party and effect change and have influence from within. It’s a long term thing. Not sure that can happen but it isn’t happening in the CPC and I’m not sure it can ever happen.

Back