• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present

Check out this site for lots of advice on the tests.
RAF CBAT TMI

Obviously this one is for the Royal Airforce but extremely similar to what RCAF applicants undergo.

Also this post on Reddit, the first comment has a whole list of practice resources.

I go to Trenton in a few days, so we will find out soon how well those resources actually helped.
Thank you very much! My tests are scheduled for the last week of January. I hope everything goes well with your exams, and share with us (if possible) how it went. Good luck !

Some of the threads in this search discuss, "Am I too old to become a pilot?"

"Can you choose what kind of aircraft you'd like to be trained in/fly full time?"

"so you can choose which airplane you want?"

Uncertain about going either multi or helo

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?

Do you have a choice between fighter/helo/multi ???
2 pages.

Uncertain about going either multi or helo
2 pages.

How is a Pilots aircraft chosen?

etc...
I know this thread is essentially historic but i have the same questions as the one's you answered in your reply. i was wondering if it was possible if you could maybe update these? thank you

I know this thread is essentially historic but i have the same questions as the one's you answered in your reply. i was wondering if it was possible if you could maybe update these? thank you
Sorry buddy. I didn't really understand your question. What would you like to know ?

Just finished it today.

Was successful for pilot.

Thank goodness, I'm excited for that stressful part to be done with. I need a few days of r&r now for sure !
It just gets more and more difficult from here!

Each step is more difficult, but rewarding as each is accomplished. 👍🏼

I would like to know too. :confused:

I'm looking for study content to prepare for my CFAST, but so far I haven't found much. I was using Lumosity Brain Training: Challenge & Improve Your Mind but it has been having issues lately.

Does anyone have suggestions for study material/website for CFAST?

Check out this site for lots of advice on the tests.
RAF CBAT TMI

Obviously this one is for the Royal Airforce but extremely similar to what RCAF applicants undergo.

Also this post on Reddit, the first comment has a whole list of practice resources.

I go to Trenton in a few days, so we will find out soon how well those resources actually helped.
Sorry for the delay, but what Flux recommended is your best bet. Definitely look over the RAF CBAT page and do the SDT and fuel calculations in the CBAT APP if possible. That reddit thread is a great resource, but don't feel you have to do everything there. Just do exercises in things you feel you're weak at(for me it was math).

You'll see some people say to prepare as much as possible and others say it's an aptitude test and preparation won't help. There's some truth to both of those. Prepare as much as you can afford to, but not so much so that you stress yourself out and spend less time on other things. Main thing for me was staying calm. The only thing you can do is your best, and stressing won't help anything. Just go in there in do the tests to the best of your ability. It'll be miserable, I had 0 idea how well I was doing and failed quite a bit during the tests, turns out I did pretty well.

Sorry for the excessive text. I may do a little write up as there's a few others out there(mostly from RAF guys) and they were very useful to me.

(Congratulations by the way, Flux. Hopefully we'll cross paths at some point. Best of luck going forward o7)

Sorry for the delay, but what Flux recommended is your best bet. Definitely look over the RAF CBAT page and do the SDT and fuel calculations in the CBAT APP if possible. That reddit thread is a great resource, but don't feel you have to do everything there. Just do exercises in things you feel you're weak at(for me it was math).

You'll see some people say to prepare as much as possible and others say it's an aptitude test and preparation won't help. There's some truth to both of those. Prepare as much as you can afford to, but not so much so that you stress yourself out and spend less time on other things. Main thing for me was staying calm. The only thing you can do is your best, and stressing won't help anything. Just go in there in do the tests to the best of your ability. It'll be miserable, I had 0 idea how well I was doing and failed quite a bit during the tests, turns out I did pretty well.

Sorry for the excessive text. I may do a little write up as there's a few others out there(mostly from RAF guys) and they were very useful to me.

(Congratulations by the way, Flux. Hopefully we'll cross paths at some point. Best of luck going forward o7)
I'm studying through these sites, and at the same time, I don't want to stress about it. The most difficult thing about this test, I believe, is stress management. Let's see how I do in my exams at the end of January.

Thanks for the answers, friends, I wish you all a great new year!

I'm studying through these sites, and at the same time, I don't want to stress about it. The most difficult thing about this test, I believe, is stress management. Let's see how I do in my exams at the end of January.

Thanks for the answers, friends, I wish you all a great new year!
Sounds like you're on the right track then. One thing I forgot to mention is eating well and exercising a good amount. I'm not great at that normally but in the weeks leading up to testing I found running helped quite a bit with thinking and stress management.
Best of luck, happy new year.

Hello, I continue with my studies but I am having difficulty with the mental calculations of SDT and the calculations in the multitasking part (in multiplications/divisions of two digits or more).

A question for those who have already taken the test.

At no time can paper be used for mathematical calculations or is it only in some stages of the test?

Thanks a lot!!!

Hello, I continue with my studies but I am having difficulty with the mental calculations of SDT and the calculations in the multitasking part (in multiplications/divisions of two digits or more).

A question for those who have already taken the test.

At no time can paper be used for mathematical calculations or is it only in some stages of the test?

Thanks a lot!!!
Only during some stages of the test. They'll let you know. If you like to use paper, just make sure to keep it neat. A peer and I both agreed that we rushed and used up more space than necessary while working on paper.

The biggest thing for me was thinking in terms of miles per minute. Say you're given a speed of 480MPH, I know that 8x6=48 so 480/60=8 if that makes sense. It's a lot easier to manipulate the number 8 and to think in minutes than it is to work with the full number and think in fractions of hours. I can do a better write up with better examples tomorrow if necessary. Try this out on CBAT and you'll see patterns pretty quickly.

*Edit: I found the reddit comment I learned this from

Only during some stages of the test. They'll let you know. If you like to use paper, just make sure to keep it neat. A peer and I both agreed that we rushed and used up more space than necessary while working on paper.

The biggest thing for me was thinking in terms of miles per minute. Say you're given a speed of 480MPH, I know that 8x6=48 so 480/60=8 if that makes sense. It's a lot easier to manipulate the number 8 and to think in minutes than it is to work with the full number and think in fractions of hours. I can do a better write up with better examples tomorrow if necessary. Try this out on CBAT and you'll see patterns pretty quickly.

*Edit: I found the reddit comment I learned this from

This already calms me down a little.

The biggest thing for me was thinking in terms of miles per minute. Say you're given a speed of 480MPH, I know that 8x6=48 so 480/60=8 if that makes sense. It's a lot easier to manipulate the number 8 and to think in minutes than it is to work with the full number and think in fractions of hours. I can do a better write up with better examples tomorrow if necessary.
We can use paper for this type of question (that is, mathematical problem questions). Correct?

Try this out on CBAT and you'll see patterns pretty quickly.
Yes, I'm using it to get an idea of some questions.

But as you mentioned, the hardest thing is managing stress.

We can use paper for this type of question (that is, mathematical problem questions). Correct?
For the speed distance time ones, yes and no. There's one that's general math questions where you use paper and there's some speed distance time ones there. The main SDT one is only mental math though.

I still use, to this day, the Speed, Time and Distance calculation in the aircraft. There is no time (or space in many cockpits) to whip paper out and calculate. You need to be able to do this quickly and accurately.

For the speed distance time ones, yes and no. There's one that's general math questions where you use paper and there's some speed distance time ones there. The main SDT one is only mental math though.
The questions that worry me most in relation to mental calculations are the Airbone Numerical Test (ANT) questions:

1704419640131.png

I still use, to this day, the Speed, Time and Distance calculation in the aircraft. There is no time (or space in many cockpits) to whip paper out and calculate. You need to be able to do this quickly and accurately.
Really, when you have the practice of using it on a daily basis, it becomes much easier. When I was doing my PPL, I did the calculations faster than now. And I really know how uncomfortable it is to make calculations on paper when you're flying, due to space and the stress of the moment.

It's a bit early to be concerned about this, but how will they communicate my CFEME results with me? Email or a call?

It's a bit early to be concerned about this, but how will they communicate my CFEME results with me? Email or a call?
Hey! I had mine mid-february. I got an email from the doctor that I talked to there the next day saying that my A1 factor was approved. Then, like 3 or 4 days later, I got an email from my CFRC medical Detachment saying that they received my Air factor from CFEME.

Back