• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Who or why would you dislike the forces?

justin9

Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
I have been reading what it's like and so far I feel that the rewards and what I will learn will be wonderful. I guess it may not be nice being posted in lots of different places for many times. What else? Can you tell me more details, specifics would be great like examples? And what type of people would dislike being in the forces? I don't mean to stereotype but I meet people who just don't like the idea of joining and it makes me think twice. I don't understand or see why not though, joining the forces seem very rewarding and a great plan.

Who cares what someone else thinks about joining. If its what YOU want to do then do it. It is your life afterall. Why let other people make those decsions for you?

I know, I don't let them. But if some people dislike it then there is something to dislike. It would be great to know more about what is not to like and come prepared.

What do you not like being in the forces?

justin9 said:
...But if some people dislike it then there is something to dislike...

It's all relative. Take any individual's dream job and it could be another's nightmare.

I'm currently still going through the application process, so I can't speak from any first-hand experience. What I can speak on, however, is how I think I will fair in any given situation (i.e. various stressors of BMQ, frequent relocations, frequent training courses, adapting to overall structure and dynamic between myself and others of same and advanced rank, deployment, etc., etc.) based on what I know of myself. Through a lot of reading/research and communication/friendships with different Military personnel I've come to have a much broader understanding of the career path I've chosen to pursue.  What job you choose within the Forces makes a big difference also.

There will absolutely be portions of the job I will not enjoy--maybe even hate. But others may not feel the same, and in the end it comes down to whether or not I think it's the right fit for me.

I hope so - for both of you.

BeyondTheNow said:
It's all relative. Take any individual's dream job and it could be another's nightmare.

I'm currently still going through the application process, so I can't speak from any first-hand experience. What I can speak on, however, is how I think I will fair in any given situation (i.e. various stressors of BMQ, frequent relocations, frequent training courses, adapting to overall structure and dynamic between myself and others of same and advanced rank, deployment, etc., etc.) based on what I know of myself. Through a lot of reading/research and communication/friendships with different Military personnel I've come to have a much broader understanding of the career path I've chosen to pursue.  What job you choose within the Forces makes a big difference also.

There will absolutely be portions of the job I will not enjoy--maybe even hate. But others may not feel the same, and in the end it comes down to whether or not I think it's the right fit for me.
True. And the stressors and other examples you have given, is I guess just part of being in the forces. BMQ seems fun, and I'm sure it's tough. But after all of it, it seems it would be very pleasing.

I'm reading this topic life of a pilot and it's true that you can't predict what life is gonna be like ahead and to make the best out of what is going on now. My mom always tell me this because I'm always impatient about a lot of things.

I'm more worried about how my personal life is gonna be like while serving in the forces (parents, relationship, family, etc.). That should have been my topic to be more specific. I'll look into more personal life stories and experiences here. Can I ask you guys a question, how do you guys feel about being relocated? Does relocation happen often?

-Skeletor- said:
Journeyman might be your boss  ;D
I don't know what to say. :)

Sorry, I foolishly wandered into one Recruiting thread this month already.  :stars:

Rolaction occurs more often in some trades/elements than others.  I can speak of the navy life, we don't get relocated very often as the ships are on one coast or the other.  My dad had 33 years in the navy and was never relocated.  I have 11 years in now and spent them all on the east coast with the exception of training but there wasn't any relocating for that either.  Now that I am on the path as a MSEO and I expect to get relocated to Ottawa at some point in my career but my sailing time should be reduced.  In the navy you should expect to sail.

If you are single and join the forces then your girl friend should know what to expect if things get serious.  If you are married or in a relationship then you should have their full support.  Expect to miss your kids when you are away. 

These things are all part of life in the CF.  I'll share with you the fisrt thing that I was told when I got to BMQ... "The CF is not for everyone." Some people know that and never join but for others they need to find out for themselves and there is nothing wrong with that. 

My thoughts are to give it a try and after your first contract is up it's ok to say I would rather do something else. 

You need to visit a recruiter and/or go on the website and watch the videos on www.forces.ca.

Even if everyone on this website said that they loved being moved around and had no problems, it doesn't mean that you won't have a real hard time. I moved around a lot as a kid because my father was in the oil business, I don't have anxiety about starting a life in a new location, however I'm sure I'll miss my child when deployed or in training. I've met people who don't even have to be in the Forces that start to have anxiety when they are away from home for too long a period. I've had friends that can't go more than a couple days without talking to family.

Am I okay with being away from my family for 2,4,6 months to a year? Am I okay with living with others and not having a lot of privacy? Are you okay with having to kill or be killed? Are you okay with having the responsibility for your fellow Forces members in your hands? Are you okay with taking orders that can put you in harms way?

This is about you and not anyone on this board. You know you better than anyone, close your eyes and picture yourself not seeing your family, friends and siblings for a half a year and ask yourself "Would I be okay with this?"

Back