• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The risks of joining the reserves at 16.

No argument here , Wes, But that was in the day when you were done with school at 15, and well on your way to being a man.  My own family has a proud history of lying about our age to serve. I myself forged my Mums sig to get in at 17.  However, looking back, I'm not convinced it was the wisest course of action. At 16, you're barely considered old enough to operate a motor vehicle.  If you're not old enough to rent a car, you shouldn't be old enough to get dead... just MHO

CHIMO,  Kat

PS...God, Kokanee is great on a Sat night!!

Kat Stevens said:
No argument here , Wes, But that was in the day when you were done with school at 15, and well on your way to being a man.   My own family has a proud history of lying about our age to serve. I myself forged my Mums sig to get in at 17.   However, looking back, I'm not convinced it was the wisest course of action. At 16, you're barely considered old enough to operate a motor vehicle.   If you're not old enough to rent a car, you shouldn't be old enough to get dead... just MHO

I was in Yr 11 when I joined the Militia. I graduated Yr 12 in 1977. The only people then who left school at 15 30yrs ago were 'dropouts', and the same thing goes today.

At 15 I had my learners licence, and bought a 1966 Mercury 2 door. At 16 a full driver's licence, and I had already bought a fews guns for hunting. So, some things have changed and some have not. I only think we are now more PC and the technology has changed.

Most car rental agencies won't even look at you if you are 21 or under, and here in Australia you are a big risk if you are 25 or under.

At 16 in 1975, I think I was as big as a risk if i was 16 in 2005. Youth is still that. I was young, dumb, and full of......, well, need I say more.

Cheers,

Wes

You're right, however, if a 16 year was at Medac, or was under that bomb in Afghanistan, the fallout would have been insurmountable... Political correctness would not allow our teens to be killed without monstrous backlash.

CHIMO,  Kat

Kat Stevens said:
You're right, however, if a 16 year was at Medac, or was under that bomb in Afghanistan, the fallout would have been insurmountable... Political correctness would not allow our teens to be killed without monstrous backlash.

CHIMO,  Kat
Kat, I believe there are some treaties we have signed that also would be breached if we sent 16 year olds overseas, much less had them killed. I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, but one of my course officers this past summer metioned something about a Child Soldier Treaty. Anyone know more than I do about this topic?

Big Foot said:
Kat, I believe there are some treaties we have signed that also would be breached if we sent 16 year olds overseas, much less had them killed. I'm not trying to sound like a smartass, but one of my course officers this past summer metioned something about a Child Soldier Treaty. Anyone know more than I do about this topic?

http://www.hrw.org/press/2002/02/childsoldiers0212.htm

Well if Canada signed this, are we not breaking it?

From what my course staff suggested, the CF is moving towards no longer training people under the age of 18 in the use of weapons, etc. I have no way of verifying what they said, however it did sound like we are moving away from underaged soldiers. I mean, if we chastise African nations for using minors as soldiers, should we not follow our own advice for them?

A little off topic but i joined the reserves when i was 16 last year and i havnt had any negative effects in things liek my school work, plus itsa job im actually enjoy going to and alot of the time i actually look forward to parade nights and exercises.

We were told that there was a tour coming up next January for our brigade and would like to go if possible. I turn 18 on October 1st which may or may not be after the work up training begins i only know it starts in the fall, and after this summer i will have my bmq/sq, biq, and platoon suport weapons. What are my chances of getting a chance to go, are my age n qualifications enough to get me a decent chance of getting onthe tour?

INFRES said:
A little off topic but i joined the reserves when i was 16 last year and i havnt had any negative effects in things liek my school work, plus itsa job im actually enjoy going to and alot of the time i actually look forward to parade nights and exercises.

We were told that there was a tour coming up next January for our brigade and would like to go if possible. I turn 18 on October 1st which may or may not be after the work up training begins i only know it starts in the fall, and after this summer i will have my bmq/sq, biq, and platoon suport weapons. What are my chances of getting a chance to go, are my age n qualifications enough to get me a decent chance of getting onthe tour?

Covered already man, fairly recently too.

Do a search.

As for having any FX on yer school work....I suggest going over your post before posting, as it looks liek it has affected your school work.

tess

tess

Kat Stevens said:

As I said earlier, for members of the CF the mininum DEPLOYABLE age is 18+, so a 16 yr old member of the CF(and a Militia member at that) in a theatre of operations in the 21st century is hightly, very highly unlikely ever.

Cheers,

Wes

Back