• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The risks of joining the reserves at 16.

Pte. Albano

Inactive
Reaction score
I have been wondering about the conserquences in joining the reserves at the beginning of grade 11. Would I miss a lot of school days? I just  wnat to know from those people thhat started out in th reserves at 16 how the transition was like from being a high school student and being in the reserves. Will being in the reserves help me get into RMC?

the reserves is designed not to conflict with either schooling or civilian jobs

you normally parade with your unit once a week (7 - 10 pm) and if your doing basic training during the school year.. it is conducted on weekends

there are no "consequences" its a very rewarding experience  ;D

reserve force is 16 w/ parental consent

regular force is 17 w/ parental consent

:cdn:

Albano i started my application when i was 16 during the summer between grades 10 and 11 and well I'm 17 now and i have still not been accepted medical into the forces. but i did all my testing when i was 16 and other then my medical everything has gone well. and it will not conflict with your schooling. you may miss a few morning class to do your testing but after that it will not conflict with school. 

B.McTeer :salute:

there are other threads that cover your question, Pte. Albano, but basically the medical process at the CFRC consists of

a urine test, reflex hammer, eyesight test, hearing test, breathe-with-stethescope-on-your-back, touch your toes, etc.... nothing painful.

I didn't join the reserves until I was in university, but found that it didn't conflict with my school.

During weekend trg, the staff should allow time to do civilian homework/study if you need it. This should please your parents.

Reserves can help you learn to manage your time which will be a good life skill.

But at the same time, I have seen students get sucked into the lure of "making money" and put in too much time on trg and taskings and avoided their studies.
Which can lead to skipping school to do class A work during school time.  It is all about balance.

If you are serious about RMC you will need good marks in high school as well as the experience of the Reserves.

Pte. Albano said:
Wqhat do you mean by medical. What do you do in the medica?

Well i had ADHD when i was a child and I had to get letter from my doctor saying that i am no long medicated it was simple mind you im still waiting on it again.

come on now,

the damn spell check button is at the bottom....

if he misses that, what will he be like with a rifle and a target...

tess

I joined at 16... been in for a year, turn 18 in two months and may go on tour next year  :salute:
Not all hope for 16 year olds is lost  :)

Da_man said:
I joined at 16... been in for a year, turn 18 in two months and may go on tour next year   :salute:
Not all hope for 16 year olds is lost   :)

where are you thinking of going on tour?

Back