• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

As it stands now, WFH has been essentially removed from some units/commands for CAF members, so if it's part of the new PS deal we might get a few extra pennies to compensate for it not being part of our compensation package.
Or alternately it could adopt the same WFH policy and rules however they end up looking.

Regarding the work from home thing. I reckon a good employee will work well anywhere.

The less than stellar maybe not as much..
I think people that were unproductive in the office were unproductive at home, it's just harder to 'look busy' if you aren't even answering emails from WFH, as I know people that would wander around with a folder, read the news, or otherwise not do much at work anyway.

We're fortunate enough to have the option to continue to hybrid, but consistently finding WFH is far more productive for anything I'm doing on my own as I can sit an concentrate in lumps no problem. In the office trying to do the same is pointless (which is fine) but at least wearing headphones stops idle 'talk about the game' conversations from people walking by.

Productivity can be hard to track on some jobs, but either way low performance regardless of location will always be a management challenge, so really no different. But at the end of the day, some people will always manage to look good while doing very little, which I saw in industry beforehand, so no unique to government or the CAF.

Or alternately it could adopt the same WFH policy and rules however they end up looking.
It's possible, but based on what has come down already I have my doubts the CAF will be inclined to go that route. It's bad optics when the senior people can WFH, while most Jr. pers have to be at the shop/hangar/vehicle park.

I look forward to comparing my pay stubs from now and post July this year.
Yeah I don’t know what it would come to as both sides are using different numbers to claim a win but i suspect it will be a slight increase from what was agreed on prior.

Yeah I don’t know what it would come to as both sides are using different numbers to claim a win but i suspect it will be a slight increase from what was agreed on prior.
I believe @Halifax Tar meant his mil pay stub, as that's when the new pay rates/CFHD kick in.

For anyone who didn't have PLD before, it's a gain, but for a lot of people it may be small or a net loss.

Pretty good example of where the union doesn't, in fact, fight for us (and why would they?). Sure we benefit eventually from the raises they get, but PLD/CFHD, NVC etc are all good examples of where some kind of real advocacy outside the CAF CoC would be beneficial, and is sure isn't coming from the RCL. Base pay takes a while to adjust either way, but benefits and how/when they are applied are completely at the whim of the GoC, and I've yet to see a change in my nearly 20 years that has been an improvement to existing benefits.

I'd be happy with reasonable services though, so maybe one day we'll see some option better than Brookfield. Actually never had any major issue with Sunlife (that wasn't caused by DND) so bit nervous about the new insurance provider.

No they weren’t. But you will benefit.

You have your own compensation model for a variety of things others don’t get. Stop being so entitled that you can’t see beyond your own biases.
You're right, I do have a compensation model. It's not being followed. PSAC would have a stroke if TBS and CMP announced tomorrow that all CAF members would be making the promised 15% pay above public servant equivalents. They'd have another temper tantrum in 4 years time and demand pay equity with the uniformed members.

The real entitlement here is to think that PSAC is entitled to support from the CAF members they just spent 2 weeks blocking from accessing work/fitness facilities. These are the same CAF members who are legally obligated not to take sides in the dispute. Then again, the CDS just told us we're a big happy family again so time to pretend the same folks wearing costumes, blocking gates and making racist comments towards soldiers all in the name of supporting PSAC so I guess everything is good to go.

You're right, I do have a compensation model. It's not being followed. PSAC would have a stroke if TBS and CMP announced tomorrow that all CAF members would be making the promised 15% pay above public servant equivalents. They'd have another temper tantrum in 4 years time and demand pay equity with the uniformed members.
They are making 15% more. If they aren’t that’s a treasury’s board issue not a PSAC issue. Maybe if if you placed your energy there that could change. I’ve never seen anyone demand pay equity with uniformed members.

How is it not being followed? Honest question. I’ll plead ignorance as this is the first I’ve heard of it.
The real entitlement here is to think that PSAC is entitled to support from the CAF members they just spent 2 weeks blocking from accessing work/fitness facilities. These are the same CAF members who are legally obligated not to take sides in the dispute. Then again, the CDS just told us we're a big happy family again so time to pretend the same folks wearing costumes, blocking gates and making racist comments towards soldiers all in the name of supporting PSAC so I guess everything is good to go.
So isolated incidents is your barometer? I would say that that maybe the culture where you work needs some serious work. And I suspect it might be both sides that need it.

Well, in keeping with government policy…I mean we saw what, one isolated swastika flag back in Freedom Convoy days and there was broadbrushing by the government about the character of the overall action?
Aside from the actual group with the manifesto to overthrow the govt, the weeks of constant honking, the calls to clog up 911 by Randy Hillier and co, the folks speeding the wrong way down one-way streets at night after seeing carts of beer being taken that way during the day...

I believe @Halifax Tar meant his mil pay stub, as that's when the new pay rates/CFHD kick in.

For anyone who didn't have PLD before, it's a gain, but for a lot of people it may be small or a net loss.

Pretty good example of where the union doesn't, in fact, fight for us (and why would they?). Sure we benefit eventually from the raises they get, but PLD/CFHD, NVC etc are all good examples of where some kind of real advocacy outside the CAF CoC would be beneficial, and is sure isn't coming from the RCL. Base pay takes a while to adjust either way, but benefits and how/when they are applied are completely at the whim of the GoC, and I've yet to see a change in my nearly 20 years that has been an improvement to existing benefits.

I'd be happy with reasonable services though, so maybe one day we'll see some option better than Brookfield. Actually never had any major issue with Sunlife (that wasn't caused by DND) so bit nervous about the new insurance provider.

Thank you.

Yes, that was what I understood.
But that’s unrelated to this strike or PSAC.
I’m not disagreeing with any of that. But the anger or frustration that some members have against the PS is misplaced.
I’ve dealt with CL as they provide the current dental plan and find them way better than sun life so my guess it should be fine.

Aside from the actual group with the manifesto to overthrow the govt, the weeks of constant honking, the calls to clog up 911 by Randy Hillier and co, the folks speeding the wrong way down one-way streets at night after seeing carts of beer being taken that way during the day...
Precisely…like the more than ‘isolated incidents” of the occasional PSAC picket line across the country… ;)

The sensibilities in this country are so fragile it’s pathetic.

@Remius, ack, and agree it's nothing to do with the strike, but similarly the strike has nothing to do with PSAC fighting for the CAF.

I wouldn't expect them to, but had heard a few media lines making that claim, which was disingenuous at best.

I've heard shitty behaviour on both sides of the strike lines, and I think blocking access to the base completely was stupid and was where the police and MPs needed to get involved, but a lot of people also over reacted to essentially being delayed. I'd be pissed off if I missed a medical appointment with how long it takes to get (4 months in my case) but the golfers can go pound sand.

I suspect there will be some hard feelings on the actual bases for a while on both sides, which could have been avoided by a more reasonable approach by the union and the picket captains, with better comms and more flexibility on the military side.

Blocking a military base that includes living quarters and medical facilities is a bit of a minefield, and I think PSAC shit the bed by treating it the same as entrance to a production plant or an office building. People weren't going into work because they wanted to, and we had a hard time getting life safety equipment recertified because it required a truck to go in/out of the base to get the SCBA cylinders.

Weirdly enough here in Ottawa they didn't target many of the actual office buildings, and was more around MP offices and Parliament, so actually had zero delays getting to/from work in the city with the most federal public servants, and had a fairly overboard response plan in place ahead of time that wasn't required as no one could be arsed to picket our building.

Glad it was a short one though, and pretty much the general response today was everyone was glad to be back and annoyed that they are behind, so haven't heard anyone in the tech division that was actually happy to have gone on strike. There was also some pretty crazy threats of massive fines going around the PSAC rumour mill (to the tune of $10k) so the whole thing seems pretty greasy with a lot of soft coersion through straight up lies.

@Remius, ack, and agree it's nothing to do with the strike, but similarly the strike has nothing to do with PSAC fighting for the CAF.
And that claim here is not being made.
I wouldn't expect them to, but had heard a few media lines making that claim, which was disingenuous at best.
The only thing I hear is that they benefit when we do when it comes to pay. The union (PSAC)claims it’s fighting for all workers. Part of their schtik and I expect the union of defense employees spouts that about CAF members (that being said it advocates heavily for CAF members in regards to transition to the PS and accommodations for veterans that most people don’t get). The fact is that particular union is made up of the largest amount of ex CAF members in the PS.
I've heard shitty behaviour on both sides of the strike lines, and I think blocking access to the base completely was stupid and was where the police and MPs needed to get involved, but a lot of people also over reacted to essentially being delayed. I'd be pissed off if I missed a medical appointment with how long it takes to get (4 months in my case) but the golfers can go pound sand.
I barely saw anything where I was and it was critical mass. Aside from BBQ tickets issued near where I was. The only issues or real issues I’ve heard seem to be at CFBs. Gagetown when that truck almost ran someone down and CFB Kingston where some protesters were using gym parking. I am not saying that those were the only spots but why are bases the areas where we have issues?
I suspect there will be some hard feelings on the actual bases for a while on both sides, which could have been avoided by a more reasonable approach by the union and the picket captains, with better comms and more flexibility on the military side.
Did those hard feelings already exist? I don’t hear the best of stories from some areas but that is only from a few people I’ve spoken to and limited to one place I’ve heard of.
Blocking a military base that includes living quarters and medical facilities is a bit of a minefield, and I think PSAC shit the bed by treating it the same as entrance to a production plant or an office building. People weren't going into work because they wanted to, and we had a hard time getting life safety equipment recertified because it required a truck to go in/out of the base to get the SCBA cylinders.
That’s a good point. Blocking a base is in some instances blocking someone’s home.
Weirdly enough here in Ottawa they didn't target many of the actual office buildings, and was more around MP offices and Parliament, so actually had zero delays getting to/from work in the city with the most federal public servants, and had a fairly overboard response plan in place ahead of time that wasn't required as no one could be arsed to picket our building.
That was my point above. It was pretty tame here. They targeted specific buildings. Mostly the ones in relation to who they were trying to impress upon. TB HQ, PMO, Parliament Hill Tuneys but also some locations were for geographic reasons so that people wouldn’t have to travel too far to find a picket location. The appetite to disrupt the public and businesses wasn’t there at all.
Glad it was a short one though, and pretty much the general response today was everyone was glad to be back and annoyed that they are behind, so haven't heard anyone in the tech division that was actually happy to have gone on strike. There was also some pretty crazy threats of massive fines going around the PSAC rumour mill (to the tune of $10k) so the whole thing seems pretty greasy with a lot of soft coersion through straight up lies.
The threats were real their ability to enforce them are not. No one on my team wanted to be out there. It was also pretty obvious on the line as well. Your description is in line with my experience and seems to be common.

Well, that’s a very serious chargee… provide specific references to ‘overthrowing the government’.

TBH I am more concerned with a government fully owned by the Chinese Communist Party as Canada’s currently is.

Well, that’s a very serious chargee… provide specific references to ‘overthrowing the government’.
There is plenty of material and references to that. A certain part of the convoy had a slight misunderstanding on how our system works. Plus we have a whole thread here somewhere about it.
TBH I am more concerned with a government fully owned by the Chinese Communist Party as Canada’s currently is.
Sure.

We are now way off topic about the strike.

There is plenty of material and references to that. A certain part of the convoy had a slight misunderstanding on how our system works. Plus we have a whole thread here somewhere about it.

Sure.

We are now way off topic about the strike.

So, you’re saying you don’t have one? Ack.

Reactions: QV
Back