• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Strike

PSAC update- fat lady has not yet sung. The vote to rectify the tentative agreement is still pending, and at least one subcomponent representing approximately a fifth of the affected PSAC members has recommended voting no to the proposed agreement due to perceived inadequacy of the pay package and of contractual provisions for remote work.

Anyone know when the ratification vote is happening and closing?

PSAC update- fat lady has not yet sung. The vote to rectify the tentative agreement is still pending, and at least one subcomponent representing approximately a fifth of the affected PSAC members has recommended voting no to the proposed agreement due to perceived inadequacy of the pay package and of contractual provisions for remote work.

Anyone know when the ratification vote is happening and closing?

I haven’t heard yet. The full proposal hasn’t been seen yet.

I’ll be curious to see what my local has to say.

Nothing published by PSAC on their website yet about (a) the wording of the agreement or (b) the timing for the ratification vote.

There is a feeling from some quarters that we essentially held out for the deal that was initially proposed so I assume that some will push for a no vote.

There is a feeling from some quarters that we essentially held out for the deal that was initially proposed so I assume that some will push for a no vote.
The deal initially proposed by the employer? ‘Cause it sounds a lot like that, with an extra year tacked on to shut the peasants up for another twelve months.

Last edited:
Th

The deal initially proposed by the employer? ‘Cause it sounds a lot like that, with an extra year tacked on to shut the peasants up for another twelve months.
Pretty much. I didn’t think that deal was a bad one in the first place.

From what I see and hear, the "rank and file" were not as enthusiastic as the union reps about striking in the first place nor continuing to picket for much longer.

If that was an attempt to overthrow the government then that it is most polite and most Canadian version of a coup or overthrow in history.

It could have only been more Canadian if the written request started and ended with "sorry".

Remember this funny joke.

The text messages between Mr. Lametti and Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino were tabled at the inquiry.
“You need to get the police to move,” Mr. Lametti told Mr. Mendicino on Feb. 2, and the Canadian Armed Forces “if necessary,” he added.
“Too many people are being seriously, adversely impacted by what is an occupation. I am getting out as soon as I can. People are looking to us/you for leadership. And not stupid people,” he added in subsequent texts.
“How many tanks are you asking for I just wanna ask Anita how many we’ve got on hand,” Mr. Mendicino said in response, referring to Defence Minister Anita Anand.
“I reckon one will do!!” Mr. Lametti replied.

I wonder if they got the idea from Trudeau's favorite dictatorship circa 1989.

No matter how good a contract is you will always get someone voting no on it.

Our last agreement which had a inflation cost allowance + 3% each year for 5 years still had about 6% vote no. Mind you most those 6% view striking as a vacation.

No matter how good a contract is you will always get someone voting no on it.

Our last agreement which had an inflation cost allowance + 3% each year for 5 years still had about 6% vote no. Mind you most those 6% view striking as a vacation.
Yeah. Definitely a lot of anger at the union from what I can see. Not so much because of the deal itself but that people went on strike for that deal.

Liberals are in trouble. I wonder if any of the brand new 9000 CRA workers they just hired (or are hiring) will be joining this occupation.

Union threatens to disrupt Liberal party convention if CRA doesn't offer 'fair' deal

I hear they're going to threaten to kill themselves if the Liberals break up with them, too.
In completely unrelated news ....
Already got my refund deposited, so a lot of essential workers must have been ready to hit the "Send" key.

Remember this funny joke.

I wonder if they got the idea from Trudeau's favorite dictatorship circa 1989.

I'm sure he was thinking about the possible positive connections with the Patricipaction program ;)

China News GIF by HuffPost

This sums it up:

comparing-govt-and-private-sector-compensation-in-canada-2023-infographic.jpg

😖
That's it? Really the way people have talked I would have expected everything to be a lot higher. Only 5 more days off and 8.5% more pay.
Maybe you should go work for the civilian world then.
LOL. Funny that is what I have told people out there complaining about how much the government employees get.
You are not kicking a CAF member out in weeks unless they are a training failure or murdered someone.

It takes almost 2 years with all kinds of warnings, displinary paperwork and chances given in my experience.

Where have you seen it take weeks?
Took 6 months for us to complete a release following the disciplinary process completely. We could have done it sooner as the regulation does allow for you to skip over the earlier stages but we wanted to ensure there was no room for anyone to slip into.

Civilians are certainly harder but again talk to the union reps, ensure you know and follow the process. Only had one that we wanted dealt with and it came to fruit after I gave the chief a 2 page write up of events for one day of activities by the member. He was real happy to get it as part of the problem was no one before wrote anything. This individual did no work, used the time instead to run their own business including phone calls from customers, actually had tohenerve to use colourful language in telling supervisor to get out of the office area that the supervisor was in charge of including calling derogatory names.

That's it? Really the way people have talked I would have expected everything to be a lot higher. Only 5 more days off and 8.5% more pay.

LOL. Funny that is what I have told people out there complaining about how much the government employees get.
That's huge!! 5 more days is 2% of yearly salary! Plus the 8.5% Plus the earlier retirement and they forgot this this the severance pay! That number is huge! And then the DB pension plan is the real kicker. Two guys working as say a lift truck driver in a warehouse say $80,000.00 at the gov and $70,000.00 in a good private employer. That job over the 30 to 40 years of work is the difference in millions more between the two. The BD annuity in today market would be over $1.5 million at age 65 for a annual payout of 75,000.00 per year of retirement. The private sector worker may have a DC plan with 150,000 to 250,000.00 in it total. The 2% for 5 days is $1600.00 per year. plus more.

And retiring 2.4 years earlier. And 9x more likely to have a defined benefit pension (which as time progresses shall only increase in numbers). This also doesn't factor in more vacation time on average, only 5 sick days above what the average worker has.

If I miss 5 days of work in a year, I get to have a meeting with HR and my bosses over why I am missing so much work. All those days are also unpaid as well.

And I bet their "Sick time" was very high as well.

Oh of course, whats a heavily unionized environment without your regular malingerers.

Back