• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular or Reserve

Hey, I'm DEFINITELY happy I found this thread- I'm trying to decide between reserves and reg force right now.

I remember looking at the dates of each post and going "...what the heck?"

For me personally i applied reg force in 2003 and the application never worked out, now 7 years later i am married with 2 children and a great job on the civi side.  That being said the reg force is now and has always been a nagging feeling in my gut like that was what i was meant to do.  The only difference now is that my decisions affect people more important than myself and that kind of a pay cut is borderline impossible. 

So i applied for the reserves to find out if that nagging feeling in the back of my throat is right and in a couple of years maybe a CT will be in order.

If your still young and dont have commitments then i say try the reg, 3 years will be over in the blink of an eye and then you can make an informed decision from there.

just my  :2c:
Good luck

meni0n said:
I always regretted not going reg force at 18. I‘m now 21 and going reg force. School will always be there to return to when you finish a contract and wish to go back to studying so why not give it a try.

I don't know about what you've seen, but the guys I know who interrupt their schooling with a three-year contract (or even just a tour, though the two are often linked) - they never return to school. Especially if you go on tour. Pre-deployment and then being deployed, in all likely hood, in the midst of a combat zone; who wants to return to school after that?

Hey who knows...maybe meniOn will come back and tell how his/her BE went or how his/her IE is going  >:D

1. I think I would be more mature after serving in the regs. So joining the regs now and res after to go to school seems the better idea because I will take school more seriously. Currently, I am terribly not.

2. As someone said, it would be a good idea to join now since I have no idea what I want to do in life aside from joining. What worries me is that I am 3 years behind everything I could have done. I know this is not a good habit, but I can never get rid of it or maybe just don't know how.  If I got in now, 21 yrs, and wanting to join (5yrs VIE), I would be out by 26. 26 without education, I do plan to go to school after service, hopefully i don't change my mind by then.

2.5 I'm worried that I have missed out on the "college life". But what I am to miss, doesn't seem so important at the same time it is for me because I do also would like to experience the "college life". If it's alright, can someone just enumerate what I am to miss if so? Also worried that I will have no friends at that age since I will be in school with youngsters. Is the substitute for this waiting in the regs? Is it tough to go to school later in life?

Enumerating these was the only way for me to get my thoughts straight, sorry if it is confusing. I hope to learn from anyone!! THANKS!!

PS I WOULD LIKE To thank all the people that have replied to my posts years back. It seems that I have forgotten about those, BUT THEY WERE ALL VERY HELPFUL. THANK YOU. I will eventually reply to give thanks to the replies to the threads and posts I have entered. :D

I am currently in university, so I will give you my opinion.

1. This is pretty simple, go reg force then 4 years is not a long time either way. You may love it and do a full career. There are programs to get your schooling paid for once you are in. However they are competitive and not guaranteed..

2. 3 years isn't a long time. I stayed for a 5th year of highschool, I was not mature enough for university. I guarantee I would of failed had I of went straight through highschool so in a sense I'm a year behind. One of my best friends is 25 years  old, no one jabs him for coming so late. Another one of my friends is older than me who is ex military. My mother went back to school at 42 and now is having an excellent career in teaching. It is in theory easier to go to school straight from highschool as you likely won't have lots of bills to pay. ( House, car, credit card) You also likely won't have a super serious relationship or kids to worry about. School is expensive and right now the job market is pretty poor. If you aren't sure what you want to do you could take a general year. However most of the courses won't transfer if you choose to specialize in a science, business, math or engineering. When I hear my friends with highschool are making 120k /yr working 6 months in Alberta education I wonder why I am in school.

2.5) Personally the student life isn't as glorious as it seems. I wonder what my life would be like if I joined the Navy right after highschool. First year was awesome you will meet lots of new people and likely drink a lot. That being said now I live in the libaray. It depends what more important I have friends who have a C+ average and love their lives. I have a B+ - A-  minus and I don't really like school. There are some perks, you can choose your classes and when you want to wake up. If you don't want to go to class you don't "have to". If you want to get drunk in the middle of the week no one is going to stop you. Student life is awesome for some because for some people this is never before seen freedom. I wouldn't worry about not meeting friends. I've introduced my older friends to my younger friends and they get along great. I switched into business after coming here and didnt get to do frosh week with my program. So in a sense I don't have as many friends either. If you look at younger people as "youngsters" then yes you might not have many friends. However if you keep an open mind you will definitely make friends. You also won't be the only one who didn't go straight from highschool.

I hope it helps.

Hi Runormal. Thanks for your support. It greatly helps. I don't know why I always worry about my age. my decisions have been all over the place recently. The past week I think I've said too many times that my final decision is close. I don't know what it is yet, but it is coming.

If I join the reserves, can anyone tell me what are some of what I will be missing out on in the regular force?

Justin, I'm a second year student and a ROTP applicant but I'm not sure if I want to still stay in school, and may just go Reg Force anyway. 

1(2). My cousin was a big hockey player. He did one year in the NCAA before playing in the AHL, German Elite League, NHL and finally ECHL. He went back to university at 26 years. He had his one year of school when he was young then chased down his dreams. He told me that he was happy he waited, he was older more matured and was able to pay for his own schooling using all the money he earned playing hockey. He didn't have to take a loan or ask his parents for money. 3-5 years when your 21 isn't long, you still have a lot of time to finish your schooling if you do one contract and leave. You'll leave with money saved and a different outlook on life.

2.5 Being in university for two years I can tell you that its a bit of a mix. My first year I did at Queens and for me that was what I thought university life was, partying all weekend long with pretty girls and my football friends. School was "optional," and I was writing 3 papers per term for my classes. I had an insane amount of free time and could do whatever I wanted and was surrounded by my best friends from highschool. I did okay, I finished out with a B-/B+. This year I'm at Carleton and I'm writing 7-8 papers per term, my classes aren't so optional because of my program, I blew out my shoulder last year playing football so that's done. So yes, missing out some university sucks, but its mostly first year that's a big party and thats only for a few months and then it dies down. So I mean you wouldn't be missing much, nothing you won't do on weekends with you course or platoon mates.

Hope that helps from a civi perspective.

1. There is that possibility. You may surprise yourself though. I hated school when I was in high school and I mean loathed it. When I went to college I loved it (not because of partying) I just loved the atmosphere and that I felt I was truly learning things that would be useful to me. In fact I went back to loving education and am now planning on getting a degree simply because I love to learn (in school) again. If you are certain you don't/won't feel this way that is just fine. Doing four years really isn't that long and you're right it can lead to much greater maturity.

2. Don't get so terribly focused on your age and getting down on yourself. Life experience can make a bigger impact on you and your future then being a lemming and going to university because "that's what I'm supposed to do". 26 really is not that old to start an education. Some of my best friends in college were between the ages of 26-36, with myself being 19/20. Also, if you do change your mind it is NOT a big deal. Education is only useful if you are going to use it to make a happy future for yourself. It's NOT useful if you are just getting a degree to have a degree because that's "what I should do".

2.5 Honestly, college life is what you make it and isn't all it's cracked up to be. Going to parties, carrying on, etc..etc is something you can do anywhere with anyone. It's something you can do with your current friends, your course mates etc. the only thing that will be different is you won't be a retard yelling, "woooo collllegggggeeeee" you'll be a retard saying something else (which is fine). As I said earlier age really isn't an issue: Some of my closest college (and still post-college) friends were/are between the ages of 26-35 with one other being 40. They were cool and honestly despite their "responsibilities" still enjoyed chilling and partying hard both of which they were excellent at ;) As long as you are a cool person making friends and having fun is an easy endeavour.

Back