• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Regular or Reserve

Fiji said:
Currently I am a reservist in the engineers, and a student. The army will pay up to $2000 of your tuition a year as a reservist. I would say do the reserves until you finish your college, and then go reg force. At that time you will be 21, and a lot more mature, and can make a more informed decision. College is a fun time, and you will not fully appreciate it if you go back after the reg force. Coming back from the army after three years, and then trying to fit in with 18 year olds straight out of high school that have never left their mommies is not going to be  easy. Go to school, be a reservist, graduate then go reg force. You will have a huge leg up on all the other new guys there, and a degree in your pocket.

The army MAY pay up to $2000. I don't know exactly what makes someone eligible or not. So far all people that I have seen apply, got the money (at least under the old program) but still the reimbursement is not guaranteed.

I joined the Regs in 1985 before finishing my last year of High School.....a little bit to eager to get going in the Army I was cadet and then a serving member of the Reserves. During the 7 years that I served I took numerous courses through correspondence (before the internet). This enabled me to not only finish High School but upgraded courses I needed for University. When I released in 1992 I started off at College for 2 years in University Courses and then transferred into University. Easier transition but may prolong your degree.

It was quite the culture shock coming from a regimented routine in the Regs to being a Civvie....and wow! the Liberal crap you will hear at school will turn your guts, but in the end it is worth it.

With every year each University is offering more courses through the internet, this will allow you to continue to get your education even when you are deployed. Exams can be written with the use of a Proctor and a Platoon Commander or any Officer will do to oversee the exams but the Unit Padre will probably be your best bet because they tend to have a little bit more time for the common grunt.

My 2 cents, Good Luck with any decision that you make. Remember it is not just a job it is an Adventure.

I'm looking into going into Weapons tech - land and I'm just wondering about the difference between regular forces work and reserve unit work and how you would get into either, do you choose or are you assigned?

I'm sure that is has been posted somewhere else but I couldn't find it. If such is the case a link to would suffice.

Reg = Full-time, on contract.

Res = part-time.

Both of which you go through your local recruitment office.

would I have to do anything different to get into regular forces instead of reserve?
I'm hoping to make weapons tech as a career

I would suggest going to a recruiting centre and talk to a recruiter.  He will be able to tell you all the various information and then you will write the CFAT to determine if you are even able to be a weapons tech.

i haven't decided whether to join reserve force force or regular.

could someone tell me the pros and cons and or a reason to join the res. or regular

In the reserves you have a part time job and geographical stability, as well as the chance to pick when you want to go on tour etc.

In the reg force you are full time, and get paid more, but can be told when and where to go.

Well the simplest answer would probably be to determine if you want the military to be something you want to do full-time or part-time.

The primary reserve (P Res) simply isn't structured to provide secure full-time employment, so if you need a full-time income and you have already made an informed decision that the military is the direction you want to go in, then go into the Regular Force (Reg F).

If you are looking to try the military on for size, so to speak, go P Res. Nothing stops you from then transferring from P Res  into a Reg F position. The transfer process can become complex in particular cases and isn't always quick, but generally there are not major difficulties.

As for the pro/con of both, I can only really speak in regards to the reserves.

P RES
Pro (s):
1-  Allow you to pursue other endeavors while serving, be they education, civilian employment, with greater personal freedom than in the Reg F.
2- Greater personal choice in what you actually do in the military in terms of courses, tasks, and deployments. That being said refusing courses or tasks can negatively impact future offers and opportunities, influence how you are perceived by your chain of command (superiors), and career progression.
3- Compared to most Reg F trades, career progression (promotions) is quicker in the P Res.

Cons:
1- Does not for the vast  majority of reservists provide full-time employment. Ideal for students who need a part-time job for extra money, less so for someone with significant living expenses.
2- You get paid less than the equivalent Reg F member in the same trade of the same rank. (85%)
3- Generally, you have a shorter time frame to learn and practice your trade. As such, again generally speaking, competencies are more difficult to achieve in the P Res.

This post actually is very helpful even if there are several other threads on it, I have to say.  I am contemplating the same thing right now, but thought I knew both sides of the coin.  Seeing this post in the "unread posts since my last visit" section was a bonus.  Thanks everyone.  :nod:

TFLY said:
Seeing this post in the "unread posts since my last visit" section was a bonus.  Thanks everyone.  :nod:
Actually, if it had been asked in one of the other "Res vs. Reg" threads, it would have still shown up in the unread posts.  ;)

This IS true.  Guess I'm just too nice and hate to see someone get discouraged from posting.  I read peoples mean comments all the time about not using the search function and while I generally use the search function, rereading something that has been posted before hasn't bothered me much to date.  Guess I haven't been around long enough for it to bother me.

Again, I'm not one to propagate problems so this is my last post in this thread.

Whatever you decide, make certain you ask all your questions before signing anything. Talk to people who have recently gone through the process, if you can. While I am new to this particular forum, the recruiting sub-section should be informative and please do use the site search function.

Well, if I could go back and join the CF (Reg. Force)  right after high school, I would. I spent almost 2 years in university without the money to pay for it (had to get loans, ugh). I couldn't continue to pay for it (University of Waterloo Engineering was almost 10k for 4 months!!!!!.), so I quit and applied, now I am just waiting for the call (if I get it) to go to BMQ. I applied for Infantry and Armoured, seems odd to go from UW Eng. to the "grunt" work lol, but its what I've wanted to do since I was younger and being in university made me realize sitting behind a desk doing paper work was not what I want. 

You can always go back and get a degree after your contract, 3 years isn't that long. As someone said before you also can save up some money, which if you don't have the ability to pay for it, or have to get large loans, then it may be a good idea to wait a couple years and save, I wish I would have! Thats all to say that you don't like being a soldier or what ever you are going for. If you like being in the Forces, then you know you made the right choice haha. The benefits of the CF are pretty much endless from what I have read and heard. Just my 2 cents.

ToRN said:
but there is really nothing that I want to do other than the engineering.

I would say go reg force then. In three years as a reg force engineer you will be more proficient at the job then you would as a reservist in that time. (my opinion). At the end of your contract you could leave if you want, but you'll still have plenty of stories for your buddies back home.
You could also transfer from the regs to the reserve unit back home at that time.

If you want it, go for it all in! Make life an adventure

boots.j.q. said:
I would say go reg force then. In three years as a reg force engineer you will be more proficient at the job then you would as a reservist in that time. (my opinion). At the end of your contract you could leave if you want, but you'll still have plenty of stories for your buddies back home.
You could also transfer from the regs to the reserve unit back home at that time.

If you want it, go for it all in! Make life an adventure

I hope that ToRN wasn't waiting for your advice one way or another to make his decision.  He posted that in March 2004 when the Internetz was still cooling.  :D As an aside, he could have served two Basic Engagements since posting that, which puts this thread into perspective. 

Tango2Bravo said:
I hope that ToRN wasn't waiting for your advice one way or another to make his decision.  He posted that in March 2004 when the Internetz was still cooling.  :D As an aside, he could have served two Basic Engagements since posting that, which puts this thread into perspective.

LMAO! I didn't even think of checking when he posted that! I just saw new posts today and assumed it was current... ::) don't I feel like a dumbass now. OH well maybe someone else reading will find these comments useful.

fischer10 said:
LMAO! I didn't even think of checking when he posted that! I just saw new posts today and assumed it was current... ::) don't I feel like a dumbass now.

You and me both.

Wow, thanks for the advice boots, I'm glad I took it 3 years ago, hahaha :p

I'm surprised this thread is still around. Glad people still find it relevant 6 years after I started it.

Back