• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passchendaele movie

Navy_Blue said:
BZ Paul and all who worked on this project.

If the movie is half as good as the trailer it will be amazing.

The only thing that could make it better is if it was realeased on Canada Day  :cdn:

That would be great, but I read somewhere that they were looking at the fall.  Making it about bang on for the time around Remembrance Day.

I am looking forward to hearing more about this production
I just hope it tells the truth and does not just cater to the
national myths as Gallipoli does.You all know them, all good
decisions were made by Australians and all dumb ones were
made by Brits.The truth is that the evil orders issued by Brit.
Generals in the Gallipoli movie were in fact made by the
Australian commanders.I think that we in Canada also have
similar myths hope they will not be a feature of this movie.
                      Regards

I'm from Ft. MacLeod.  I wonder were and what portion of the movie they filmed there? 

When I was last out West in 94, the rancher who rented his land for Legends of the Fall, battle scenes still had intact.  Trenches, shell holes and all.  Flew over the site in a Harvard, looked just like the photos of the era.  Amazing what Hollywood can do with an acre of land.

Good Day all I thought that i would shed some light on what all you want to hear. I was lucky enough to be an SSE(special service extra) in this film. I spent 7 weeks filming battle scenes and let me tell you be prepared to be blown away.

The preview is at Tribute.ca

http://www.tribute.ca/player/?id=16887

Looks amazing.

Have we done it? Have we a Canadian film about the Canadian Military that will be a hit?

I have my fingers crossed I have hope that finaly Canadian film has made a main stream movie that is not only popular but about Canada and it's Military.

I hope this sparks more movies about the CF.

Paul Gross an HCol? Agreed. Maybe Order of Canada?

time expired said:
                      Regards

Kind friends and members,

In the movie Gallipoli, the 'commander' in question, who gives the orders at 'The Nek' is in fact AIF.

The battleplan itself, as in the invasion was British.

Our ANZAC legends of 1915, inspire this nation to this day (and long before this 1980 movie), and give all Australian troops some very big boots to fill.

Cheers and regards to all,

OWDU

Thought I would add my $0.02 as well.

I, like many of you, am very much anticipating the release of the movie. Even though it is summer and I'm trying to enjoy my time away from work, I still do think about what goes on there. Just before the end of the school, I received a brochure regarding the movie; I guess they are trying to hype the educational possibilities of the movie. If I remember correctly, there are going to be special matinees for schools, educational resources on the website, etc.

I think that the biggest thing is to have another resource on WWI and especially a Canadian one. In comparison to WWII, there is so little out there on WWI. There is a handful good documentaries, and a few movies. We have always shown the 1979 version of All Quiet on the Western Front to illustrate such things as trench warfare. I have explained this shortcoming to the kids as a sort of ambivalence in the US towards this particular war (partially due to a limited involvement); since most modern movies come out of Hollywood (with the exception of this, Gallipoli and the forthcoming Red Baron), this is the reason for the lack of material. I'm actually contemplating taking that semester's history classes to see the movie...I'll get back to you on that.

It was reported on TV recently that Passschendaele is to be the opening film at the Toronto International Film Festival.

This is now worth 4 cents

ex-Sup said:
I think that the biggest thing is to have another resource on WWI and especially a Canadian one. In comparison to WWII, there is so little out there on WWI. There is a handful good documentaries, and a few movies. We have always shown the 1979 version of All Quiet on the Western Front to illustrate such things as trench warfare.

Actually there is a huge amount of info aval on the Internet for Canadians and their efforts in WW1. But if you don't know where to find it - it can seem like a mystery.

Movies can't unfortunately - even with the great potential of Paul Gross's Efforts, capture the every day movements and descriptions of actions of the men of the Canadian Expeditionary Force who fought as Passchendaele - but YOU CAN get a great feeling for their dailiy activities very easily

These are at the War Diaries of the CEF at the National Archives Website http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/firstworldwar/051806/05180605_e.html

At the end of the intro to Passchendaele is a link to the War Diary Search page - Try Princess as your keyword and the PPCLI War Diary pops up - then find the Oct Nov 1917 entries ---- this will give you a good idea of where they were and where their actions occurred.

If you do some legwork I can help you make a map of the area they captured

How it works

Look for a grid reference as in "We moved to a position at _TOWN NAME  (X.11.a.4.5) thats a WW1 grid reference -

Post it here with a link to the image on the war diary

I will post the latitude and longitude of the point which YOU can then load into Google Earth on your next trip to Paschendale

The data comes from my Linesman Application at www.greatwardigital.com

I'll post a sample tonite from the Mount Sorrel Battle Area which was a bit to the south of Passchendaele - combining these two sources makes the display look like what I'd imagine the "God" screen looks like on an AWACs.

Other places of note

Google CEF RESEARCH - will lead you to the shallow end of the pool  but in no time you'll be aware of what and where the CEF was all about, comprises links to the Official History and Maps of where the actions took place.

A few Websites I plunk away at

www.cobwfa.ca
www.54thbattalioncef.ca
www.102ndbattalioncef.ca

All have more links

Find lost soldiers at the Canadian Virtual War Memorial here http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/virtualmem

Input NORWEST (for HENRY NORWEST of the Canadian 50th Bn) He was the top sniper on the Western Front when he died. He got more than a 21 gun salute - more like 2100 guns on the German - http://library.ucalgary.ca/branches/henrynorwest/index.php?

@ Chapters - read the story of the 50th Bn ---- find out about what they thought of Henry Norwest

Enjoy!

54/102 CEF said:
This is now worth 4 cents
Actually there is a huge amount of info aval on the Internet for Canadians and their efforts in WW1. But if you don't know where to find it - it can seem like a mystery.
Movies can't unfortunately - even with the great potential of Paul Gross's Efforts, capture the every day movements and descriptions of actions of the men of the Canadian Expeditionary Force who fought as Passchendaele - but YOU CAN get a great feeling for their dailiy activities very easily
54/102,

Thanks for all the info. My comment was more directed to the fact that there few WWI movies (especially US made) out there, in comparison to WWII. I know that a movie can never capture all of the experience; it's just one of the tools we use. One of the documentaries we use quite a bit is Norm Christie's King and Empire (the one the was on History TV). It's great that he actually shows the battlefield today and the kids get a kick out of him picking up UXO and playing with it.  :)

I know that there is a lot of information out there and I think I've been pretty good at collecting some of it. Some of it however is a little too detailed. What has really helped in recent years is the LCD projector which allows us to show pictures, videos and websites right from the computer. I know that it has really helped me get the message across.

54/102 CEF said:
If you do some legwork I can help you make a map of the area they captured
Thanks for the offer, but again this is a bit too detailed for what a school might need. It would be interesting to see though.

Just saw the preview for the movie and got goose bumps... looks AMAZING!  :cdnsalute:

" the english couldnt do it, the french couldnt, only we could... the Canadian core"... awesome

jollyjacktar said:
I'm from Ft. MacLeod.  I wonder were and what portion of the movie they filmed there? 

When I was last out West in 94, the rancher who rented his land for Legends of the Fall, battle scenes still had intact.  Trenches, shell holes and all.  Flew over the site in a Harvard, looked just like the photos of the era.  Amazing what Hollywood can do with an acre of land.

I guess they're trying to make amends down in them thar parts for 'Brokeback Mountian'  ;D

daftandbarmy said:
I guess they're trying to make amends down in them thar parts for 'Brokeback Mountian'  ;D

Pretty bold statement from a denizen of The Naked Bar....... Ah de zoomba, zoomba, zoomba. Ah de zoomba, zoomba, za......

daftandbarmy said:

Man, I really can't say too much.  I understand that it was filmed west of MacLeod in the Pincher Creek area.  Cept, to say pardner that when I was growing up there, you needed to go to Claresholm to see cowboys..... we were strictly hard rockers.

time expired said:
                      Regards

I was thrilled to be an extra in Passchendaele. I travelled from Kingston Ontario to Calgary and stayed there for five weeks to be in the movie as a background extra. For those who are wondering about how well it will be received, I would like to assure you that what I saw was thrilling. When special effects, musical score and all the other goodies are added I am sure that it will make all Canadians proud. If you are interested in seeing some pictures of the film shoot visit my website at http://www.daviddossett.com

jollyjacktar said:
Man, I really can't say too much.  I understand that it was filmed west of MacLeod in the Pincher Creek area.  Cept, to say pardner that when I was growing up there, you needed to go to Claresholm to see cowboys..... we were strictly hard rockers.

It was filmes at the Tsuu Tsina Reserve in SW Calgary - at least the major battle scenes and the village scene.

Back