• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Passchendaele movie

As noted previously, full house in Lethbridge.

I just got back from watching Passchendaele tonight, and I will not lie, I cried once I got out of the theatre and into the vehicle. I felt compelled to empty my mind as soon as I got home, and this is what my mind procured. I appologize for any bad grammar/spelling, or if you feel this is simply not the right place for it.

As I sit here in silence two words flash and echo through my mind. Never forget. Never forget. These two words have such a profound emotional effect on me. Never forget. These two words are heard year after year, country after country, language after language. Why? I don’t thing that is a question that will ever be answered by someone else, but instead only by yourself. Others may aid and give a gentle nudge as to why from time to time, but ultimately it is yourself who must realize why. As you sit here and read, I can only hope that if you yourself have not already answered this, that I will aide you into the right direction.

War. War is the absolute worst creation in all of mankind. Nothing causes more physical and emotional distraught then this catastrophe of mankind. It should never happen, but will happen inevitably through untold actions and events throughout all of time. It is caused by the one thing that makes us human. Emotion. It is the single most blessed thing we humans posses yet at the same time the worst curse we must bear. Our ability to feel is what differentiates us from animals. Our ability to love. Our ability to hate. Our ability to remember.
    They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, we will remember them.

- Laurence Binyon (1869-1943)

We will remember them. For in remembrance of them, we honour the selflessness and courage they displayed in their lives. It is not required that we remember them, but instead it is an honour that we who choose to remember can partake upon. I find it hard to believe that there exists a populace of people who still will spit upon soldiers and soldiers graves, and defile memorials set up to honour our past and present heroes. But one must realize to remove the ability for these people to do this is a direct conflict of what our soldiers fought and died for. They were injured, wounded, and died for our freedom in the past, present and future. The best thing to do is attempt to educate these people as to what was fought for in the past.

Educating the population about our heroes is one of the most important things we can do. Not for purposes of glorifying war, but to remember the sacrifices made by the men and women of the past and present, to remember life and the upmost importance of it. We should live everyday to it’s fullest. Remember and hold on to all that is good with ones self. Life is the best gift of all. Do not remember these soldiers as people who took life but instead remember them as people who sacrificed their lives so you could live yours to the fullest. If there is one thing we must learn from war, it’s that life is the most valuable thing we have and we must avoid so much as hurting another living thing when possible.

Never forget. I know that I can never forget the sacrifices made by the brave and courageous men and women of the armed forces, I just hope that you can say the same for yourself. Take a few minutes of your time and think about all the liberties you have. Think about all the men and women who died on the battlefield fighting for these liberties that they themselves will never get to experience. If you leave here with one thing I hope it is that you will never forget. It’s really not that much to ask. Never forget.

http://daniel.macenchroe.com/?p=64

Just figured I'd share it with some people who may care.

Aerobicrunner said:
A little curious; have there been many people in the theatre at the locations you all have been seeing it at? 

I went to the late show Saturday night in Fredericton, it was almost filled except for a few seats left in the front rows

One of the scenes that stood out in my mind was the pull back scene of the battlefield. Like the movie Perfect Storm where one of the characters ends up looking so small in the enormity of the ocean, so too does one of the characters in this movie get lost in the immenseness of the Passchendaele battlefield
Glad I seen it on a big screen
I really enjoyed the movie, good sense of humour and also captured a soldier's spirit fairly well too
Amazing job considering the directors experience and resource limitations

http://www.tribute.ca/movies/boxoffice.asp

Passchendaele came in second in Canada based on gross movie sales over the weekend.   

I just got back home less than half an hour ago from watching this movie. Hands down, the best movie to come out of Canada and it was one of the better movies I've seen in a long time.
One thing in particular that moved me was actually after the movie had ended. The film ended, and everyone had started heading for the exits like they normally do. It actually made me swell on the inside when everybody froze and turned back to the screen and watched in silence the actual footage of Canadians that was shown along with the credits.

I say give that man the Order of Canada.

Midget

Watched the movie on Friday at Oxford in HRM!
Only 50% ot the theatre was full.
A good movie, not as much of a "war flick" as I thought it would be...a little to much romance for my taste!
But I loved the historical part and the battle scenes!

Cheers

Early on in the movie Paul Gross says hello to Mr Harper.  Is that a reference to something, or just a wise-crack?

Also late in the movie, the Paul Gross unit is sent to reinforce the "Black Devils", who immediately retreat.    I thought there was something in the movie that made me think Black Watch, but I see several references to Royal Winnipeg Rifles on the internet  (and various others post-WW1 units of course).  Is that a real incident or just artistic licencse with a clever name for a unit? 

(Obviously the conclusion is artistic licence, which I will not describe.)

Just saw it tonight. I found it a little melodramatic at some points, especially during the 'home-front' bits. However, overall the movie was incredibly well done, the acting was great and it told a really good story. I'll be getting it on DVD the day it comes out. 

DualCore said:
Early on in the movie Paul Gross says hello to Mr Harper.  Is that a reference to something, or just a wise-crack?

Also late in the movie, the Paul Gross unit is sent to reinforce the "Black Devils", who immediately retreat.    I thought there was something in the movie that made me think Black Watch, but I see several references to Royal Winnipeg Rifles on the internet  (and various others post-WW1 units of course).  Is that a real incident or just artistic licencse with a clever name for a unit? 

(Obviously the conclusion is artistic licence, which I will not describe.)

Litttle Black Devils is the name the Boxheads gave this Winnipeg based Unit.

Given out of respect to their tenaciousness, and Esprit du Corps.

The name is real.

OWDU

I saw the movie last night and loved it! I didn't go in expecting an all war movie, and so I enjoyed every minute. I'm not a hard core movie critic though and so I'm easy to please. I really did enjoy the last battle scene though! Theater was packed where I was, and all my friends loved it.

Also, I picked up on the Mr. Harper reference as well. Anyone know if our PM's family has been living in Calgary for any length of time?

Watched it the other day, 8 people in the theatre, all older folks.

Thought it was a bit sappy with the love scenes, but I thought it was well done. The battle scenes were good. I would rate it a 7or 8 out of 10.

Gnplummer421 :cdn:

Overwatch Downunder said:
Litttle Black Devils is the name the Boxheads gave this Winnipeg based Unit.
Given out of respect to their tenaciousness, and Esprit du Corps.
The name is real.
OWDU
Just to pick at a point, it was the Metis during the Riel Rebellion who gave the Winnipeg Rifles their nickname, yanked from wikipedia:
The regimental Latin motto is Hosti Acie Nominati, which means “named by the enemy in battle”. After the Battle of Fish Creek during the Northwest Rebellion of 1885, a captured Métis asked, "The red coats we know, but who are those little black devils?", a reference to the fact that while infantry of the line wore red coats, the Winnipeg soldiers were clad in traditional rifle green.
I am also curious as to if the retreat of the Muddies was based in fact, or just there for entertainment purposes.

Good movie though, enjoyed seeing some stuff we still do today/things that have evolved.

Slack and Idle said:
Just to pick at a point, it was the Metis during the Riel Rebellion who gave the Winnipeg Rifles their nickname, yanked from wikipedia: I am also curious as to if the retreat of the Muddies was based in fact, or just there for entertainment purposes.

Good movie though, enjoyed seeing some stuff we still do today/things that have evolved.

I stand corrected  :salute:

Does anyone know the projected DVD release date??

Does anyone have any access to complimentry/screening DVDs of this movie?

OWDU

Slack and Idle said:
curious as to if the retreat of the Muddies was based in fact, or just there for entertainment purposes.

I am no expert, by any means, I have not even seen the movie, but I did watch 'The Making of' on the History Channel last weekend.  And Paul Gross said that the Winnipeg regiment did leave them, they had expected 800 to replace them, not the 80 they got.  And then they did retreat and the 80 decided that they needed to stay.

gnplummer421 said:
Thought it was a bit sappy with the love scenes, but I thought it was well done. 

Gotta have something for there for the wives/girlfriends draggd to the movies by the menfolk eager to see it...

WRT historical accuracy, the film is inspired  by Paul Gross' grandfathers tales of WWI (recounted very late in life), so it is heavily coloured by the experiences of one man. I would expect that in 2108, "Panjawaii" will also be filtered through the experience of the writer or diarist who inspired it, metered by the need to tell an entertaining story for the audience.

Still, it is a remarkable film and even more remarkable in the light of "official Canada's" seeming amnesia to pre 1968 history. Now who do we get to adapt Pierre Burton's "Vimy" for the big screen?

I am hoping this movie sets a trend among Canadian film makers saying that it's OK to make movies about Canadian history. I for sure would like to see a movie on Vimy Ridge, as well as some of the Canadian involvement in WWII. We have a lot of history that never gets seen on the screen, and a lot of people are too lazy to pick up a book, so we end up with a new generation of Canadians who know less and less about our heritage, and contribution to the world stage.

ENGINEERS WIFE said:
I am no expert, by any means, I have not even seen the movie, but I did watch 'The Making of' on the History Channel last weekend.  And Paul Gross said that the Winnipeg regiment did leave them, they had expected 800 to replace them, not the 80 they got.  And then they did retreat and the 80 decided that they needed to stay.

When I saw the movie, I assumed that this must be some made-up incident created for dramatic tension.  But it seems it was perfectly true.  I am astonished that with all the delicate politicians eager to get a case of hurt feelings, this story-line was permitted to continue, without someone doing a sit-down strike or picketing the premiere, to save the reputation of the regiment.  Perhaps no-one will know who fled the battlefield that day because it was hidden behind a cute name.

Back