• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Paul Gross' latest: "ZOS: Zone of Separation" on Movie Central/Network 19 Jan 09

I can only hope this inspired the "trench coat and thong" as a fashion trend.... can you imagine the interesting sun burns?

Wow. Just watched some more of the show clips. If i ever caught my troops rapping for a reporter while they were supposed to be cleaning out crappers, they'd be cleaning out said crappers for a long time to come.

Kat Stevens said:
...and another thing:  "The Canadians are coming in.  Knowing my luck, they'll be Albertans."  WTF is that supposed to mean?  Utter crap!
Your view is far from being objective.

I don't think a character's opinion on Albertans should affect whether or not you like the show.

Your objection to my objectivity is duly noted, and promptly disregarded.  By the way I'm from BC, doesn't matter where your from, stupid writing is stupid writing.

Kat Stevens said:
Your objection to my objectivity is duly noted, and promptly disregarded.  By the way I'm from BC, doesn't matter where your from, stupid writing is stupid writing.
I'm curious then. Do you expect every single character in the shows you watch to hold conventional opinions that hold all people equally? Do you want every character to like Albertans in every show, regardless of anything else?

If not, then I'm curious why it matters in this particular show.

I'm equally curious as to why my enjoyment, or lack thereof, of this show is so important to you?  I've watched plenty of shows with absolutely despicable characters that I've truly loved.  Maybe because I've been to the Balkans a few times, and lived what this programme is trying to convey, that I think it's utter crap.  Liking or disliking Albertans isn't the point, and I think you know that.  That a Canadian officer would say something that foolish in the first place, seeing as there are no regiments of Albertans in the regular army, shows weak writing, and weaker research on the writers' part.  Thank you for your concern with my viewing enjoyment, it means a lot to me.

This show makes me laugh and it makes me angry at the same time. Horrible acting, very weak writing, and what seems to be a lack of direction makes for a terribly frustrating thing to watch. The continuity or lack of in their uniforms is what makes me laugh. The advisor should definately be ashamed of himself and their script supervisor and other continuity people should have been fired. I would love to see the stuff that ended up on the cutting room floor, I am sure it would be pure gold. I hope this only does the one initial season.

Yeah Gramps but it was entertaining, maybe not as entertainingh as Kat and Nauticus in this thread but nice diversion from day to day reality.  8)

Kat Stevens said:
snip!  That a Canadian officer would say something that foolish in the first place, seeing as there are no regiments of Albertans in the regular army, no matter how awesome that would be shows weak writing, and weaker research on the writers' part.  snip!

Danjanou said:
I'm .... waiting patiently for a CSM type to show up, teach them how to do drill, shape berets, fix the uniform errors, the weapons (old M-16s with beaver tail hand guards etc.), and my personal irritant, sort out the female Capt's medals.
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but other than "Full Metal Jacket", I can't think of any other military movie where the main military advisor/consultant is a former NCO.

2 Cdo said:
He should be given a smack in the head for the most disgraceful depiction of CF personel ever to grace a TV screen!
To be fair to the advisor, it's not impossible that, like consultants in many other fields, he says, "ya know, you need to do this because what's in the script would never, ever happen in reality" and gets told, "thanks for the input - we'll shoot it as is."

milnews.ca said:
I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but other than "Full Metal Jacket", I can't think of any other military movie where the main military advisor/consultant is a former NCO.
To be fair to the advisor, it's not impossible that, like consultants in many other fields, he says, "ya know, you need to do this because what's in the script would never, ever happen in reality" and gets told, "thanks for the input - we'll shoot it as is."

I know this is a humourous example but Peacekeeper - King of Krasna (CBC made for TV movie from the 90s) had a PPCLI Sgt as the advisor and in his defence he did try real hard to make that piece of crap worth something but despite an almost non-stop confrontation between him and the director pretty much everything he said was ignored.

(For the record - No it wasn't me although I can not deny that I was TASKED to that,.... effort)

This is possible. I remember that 2 part made for TV CBC farce about Dieppe a few years back. The military advisor according to the credits was a Reservist Sgt from Toronto I know, former 2 Para type who went to the QOR here and later the RRC.

After watching it, seeing his name ion the credits, and later bumping into him in local pub I proceeded to rag him merciless on his piss poor performance as it turned out the entire Senior NCO of the GTA cadre serving and retired was also ragging him. His response he explained to the producers and costume people etc what was accurate etc and what wasn’t and they promptly ignored him.

milnews.ca said:

While not an NCO, USMC (Ret.) Capt Dale Dye has served as a military advisor (and often times, an actor) for several films.  Band of Brothers being one of the most notable.

Edit to add:  He seems he was an NCO at one point, according to his bio on IMDB.

He spent 13 years as an enlisted Marine, rising to the rank of master sergeant. He was chosen to attend officer candidate school and was appointed a warrant officer in 1976. He later converted his commission and was a captain when he was sent to Beirut with the multinational peacekeeping force in 1982-83.

PMedMoe said:
While not an NCO, USMC (Ret.) Capt Dale Dye has served as a military advisor (and often times, an actor) for several films.  Band of Brothers being one of the most notable.

True enough (and he's advised AND starred on a number of flicks), but I meant an on-screen credit saying "Mliitary Advisor - (NCO rank) Bloggins, retired, (branch of service)" - left the service as an NCO.

Back