• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

on my way to Shilo for RES BRT...any Res sig op's out there?

boehm said:
We had trg on the C6 last year and we fired it on the machine gun range w/ the C9. I had the wonderful pleasure of carrying it around for 4 weeks. On the SQ field ex they never gave me a BFA or blanks, it just ended up being a big sand filled piece of metal that I had to carry around a clean. I was told that they might have it next year or they might not, it's a toss up. The living quarters are the same toss up, you might live in an old kindergarten classroom (aka the purple room with the little kid hand prints on the wall) or you might not.

Heh. Heard about the old school situation...made me laugh. I can't believe I'm saying that I'm glad I was in L-101.

I think it's important that the C-6 be included in the BMQ/SQ package, but the problem is, they're trying to cram so much, they change a lot to unit responsibilities, or cut out things that won't be seen often. How many Comm Res units even have any C-6 in their lock-ups?

I don't agree with it, but, eh...

At least I'll be back in Kingston this summer  ;D

Hey,
Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpfull.
Thank you Greenhorn for starting this thread

I'm just a little curious; when I eventually do get my gear, what exactly do I receive?

Heh. Heard about the old school situation...made me laugh. I can't believe I'm saying that I'm glad I was in L-101.

I think it's important that the C-6 be included in the BMQ/SQ package, but the problem is, they're trying to cram so much, they change a lot to unit responsibilities, or cut out things that won't be seen often. How many Comm Res units even have any C-6 in their lock-ups?

I don't agree with it, but, eh...

At least I'll be back in Kingston this summer  Grin

I do agree with you in regards to including weapons such as the C6 in the BMQ/SQ trg package even if it involves cramming even more info in. We found the time to spend a few day learning the drills for the C6, heck we even fired it, why can't other courses do the same? Is it a money thing? Availability? Personally I have always wanted to know everything about everything, I think the more things the recruits learn the better.

I don't agree with it either, but, eh...

At least I too will be in Kingston this summer. ;D

Hey,
Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpfull.
Thank you Greenhorn for starting this thread

I'm just a little curious; when I eventually do get my gear, what exactly do I receive?

Look here for a general idea of what you'll get:

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/13423/post-59515.html#msg59515

You will get all the bare bones kit and you might get some extra stuff. Hell, when I went to get my kit issued the other two recruits I went with got some different stuff then I did. For example they got a CADPAT bivy bag, I did not.

The new recruits at my unit got a lot of the new CTS stuff: Tac Vest, Small Pack System, CADPAT gloves, mortar gloves, balistic goggles, the new combat belt, etc. I think the only thing they did not get was the IECS gortex kit and the gortex boots.

Thanks a lot boehm!!
wow, that sure is a lot of stuff. I better make some room for it.

Mike

C6 IS covered - it's not crammed in... It's part of the TP (training plan)

No, comms units do not have C6s in their vaults, but, it's still important to learn. Also, it's very easy to borrow them from other units if we want them on EX.

As for not having blanks - there were C6 blanks last summer. Safety issues prevented them from being issued to recruits.

Oh.. and if you're smart, you'll choose to join the francophone platoon. I was the PL Comd of that platoon last year, and of course, my recruits and instructors were the best!  ;)

Anyone remember us?

I remember the Franco platoon in '04.

I was my platoons interpreter to them.

I remember stealing their flag....a lot. I also remember some other things the Franco pl did. Won't mention them here  ;D

I remember the Franco platoon from last year and I distinctly remember a certain beretless, ipod wearing, bike riding recruit from that platoon. I remember they had a fondness for talking on the phone for long periods of time. I remember they really liked stealing cleaning supplies. I remember a lot of things about them. I also remember a particularly intimidating course WO who was very adamant that 5 PL was the best. ;D

We all know that he was wrong.  :)

It goes without saying that 2 PL (Fr) was the best!

;-)

boehm said:
For example they got a CADPAT bivy bag, I did not.

The new recruits at my unit got a lot of the new CTS stuff: Tac Vest, Small Pack System, CADPAT gloves, mortar gloves, balistic goggles, the new combat belt, etc. I think the only thing they did not get was the IECS gortex kit and the gortex boots.

I might have gotten the cadpat bivy bag, but i was freezing my ass off without thermal underwear :) .

I remember a certain Masterjack my year.

"What the hell is that?"

"A CADPAT bivvy bag, Master Cpl!"

" Holy *insert long run of swearing*, I've been on 3 tours in 5 years, and I've never even seen one!"

RossF said:
Ahhhh Shiiiilloooo...

You'll learn a lot. Hey Rose! What's up? Good luck w/ your course this summer!

-Ross

Hey Ross,
good to see you!  Thanks.  How are things with you?  Send me a PM sometime.
- Rose

Just wondering if we will be doing any repelling or swimming in Shilo?  Are the quarters co-ed?  Someone had mentioned we get a drawer for personal effects, how small of a drawer?  My husband said about the size of a shoe box? Does stuff get stolen, ie digital cameras, mp3 players, cell phones?  Is there some where handy to buy femenine toiletries or should I stock up and if so, will there be enough room to store such?(sorry, not really a co-ed question, but I really do need to know) Are we allowed pics of kids/spouses on a dresser?  Can any one tell I am really anxious?  Later, GH

Habitant said:
We all know that he was wrong.  :)

It goes without saying that 2 PL (Fr) was the best!

;-)

Really? Because I remember my 5 Platoon intructors basically FORCED into verbally raping any 2 Platoon member whenever we came across one. One specific one in particular (RE: Boehm's post about the beretless one) -- we saw him constantly get "sorted out" from the beginning of our stay there, to the graduation of yours.

Cheers!
-Ross
5PL for life baby. haha

EDIT: Happy Birthday Habitant

greenhorn said:
Just wondering if we will be doing any repelling or swimming in Shilo?  Are the quarters co-ed?  Someone had mentioned we get a drawer for personal effects, how small of a drawer?  My husband said about the size of a shoe box? Does stuff get stolen, ie digital cameras, mp3 players, cell phones?  Is there some where handy to buy femenine toiletries or should I stock up and if so, will there be enough room to store such?(sorry, not really a co-ed question, but I really do need to know) Are we allowed pics of kids/spouses on a dresser?  Can any one tell I am really anxious?  Later, GH

-Rapelling yes, swimming well..we didn't.
-Co-ed no, but male/female rooms were in the same hall..if you consider that co-ed than yes.
-Drawer yes, about the size of any standard size drawer..uhh..2 feet wide..1 foot deep.... 1/2 foot tall?
-Stuff shouldn't get stolen, none of mine did, however you might just condsider locking it up at night in your locker, then have it in your personal drawer for inspection (it's allowed!)
-Toilletries can be bought at the Canex on base.
-Pictures are not allowed to be stored on top of your dresser or whatever, they can be just put inside though.

Hope this helps, I'm just going by what we had last summer.

greenhorn said:
Just wondering if we will be doing any repelling or swimming in Shilo? 

There are both a rappel tower and a swimming pool in CFB Shilo.

Chances are you will not be rappelling (Anything is possible though).

I believe swimsuit will be on the list of things to bring, and while you likely won't swim as part of your course (Again, anything is possible) it's a nice way to kill a hot afternoon if you happen to get a weekend off.

Are the quarters co-ed? 

Yes and no. Rooms will likely be seperated (Male rooms and female rooms) though in the same building.

Someone had mentioned we get a drawer for personal effects, how small of a drawer?

Depends. In L101, there was a dresser with 4 drawers, one drawer for each occupant of the room.

There was a cot on the kit list for recruits this year, so I'm guessing it's going to see you living in a tent city.

My husband said about the size of a shoe box?

Anything is possible.

Does stuff get stolen, ie digital cameras, mp3 players, cell phones?

It happens (Unfortunately, and if you do happen to catch a thief, remember, a thief is one of the worst sorts of buddy-f'kers).

Chances are you won't be allowed to have them anyway (Will be secured in civvie lock-up).

Simplest solution is not to leave things unsecured.

Is there some where handy to buy femenine toiletries or should I stock up and if so, will there be enough room to store such?(sorry, not really a co-ed question, but I really do need to know)

The canex should carry all items you need, but bring enough for at least a month.

I wouldn't worry about storage.

Most of your instructors will be male, and as such, the words "feminine toiletries" make them extremely nervous and skittish and as such won't question you on them :)

Are we allowed pics of kids/spouses on a dresser?  Can any one tell I am really anxious?  Later, GH

Depends. Again, anything can happen.

I just got my kit.  Some of the other things not listed were:
-everything was cadpat (except my bivy bag)
-ballistic glasses in case
-tac vest not webbing
-gas mask, case, strap
-air mattress
-mini mag
-wash basin
-gortex boots
-gortex socks
-no cap badge, they said I'll get that when I pass off being able to salute
-no insect repellant, cam paint, fmp, or winter gear/muclucs
-bug tent
-ground sheet
-hood for sleeping bag
-thermal canteen
-general purpose cadpat backpack with a hundred and one add on pockets :)
-and 5000 pairs of socks for every season

Hope that helps, GH

greenhorn said:
I just got my kit.  Some of the other things not listed were:
-everything was cadpat (except my bivy bag)
-ballistic glasses in case
-tac vest not webbing
-gas mask, case, strap
-air mattress
-mini mag
-wash basin
-gortex boots
-gortex socks
-no cap badge, they said I'll get that when I pass off being able to salute
-no insect repellant, cam paint, fmp, or winter gear/muclucs
-bug tent
-ground sheet
-hood for sleeping bag
-thermal canteen
-general purpose cadpat backpack with a hundred and one add on pockets :)
-and 5000 pairs of socks for every season

Hope that helps, GH

It's suprising to hear you're getting some of that stuff right away....

Back