• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

medical test timeline

KZAR

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently in Halifax and completed my CFAT test on August 28. I've applied for positions as a Logistics Officer, Artillery Officer, and Air Combat System Officer.

The recruiting center informed me that the medical examination would be scheduled within a month after the CFAT test. However, despite following up twice in the past three months, I haven't received any updates. The response has consistently been to be patient as things are in progress.

I am concerned about potential issues with my application. Although I was not born in Canada, I moved here at the age of 18, and I became a Canadian citizen in 2019. I've only had one international trip to Europe last year since moving to Canada.

While I understand that the security check might take longer due to my non-Canadian birth, I'm uncertain why the medical examination is experiencing delays. After the CFAT, I was informed that the test went well, and I was eligible to proceed to the medical exam.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has had a similar experience or has knowledge about the typical timelines in this process.

Additionally, I have questions about the scenario where an applicant makes it to the competition list but doesn't secure their preferred trade. Are there alternative options or offers in such cases?

Thank you for any insights or information you can provide.

an applicant makes it to the competition list but doesn't secure their preferred trade. Are there alternative options or offers in such cases?
If you are offered a trade that was not your first pick, you can close to accept it or refuse it. If you accept it, you could have a long and prosperous career in said trade (or not). If you refuse, you go back to the bottom of the list and ope they offer you your other choice. Ideally by the time you make it to the competition list, you will know what trades you qualified for (as you will have interviewed for those positions) and will know you are being put on the competition list for those trades. DO NOT accept a trade you do not want. It is possible that an OT may be refused in the future.

hile I understand that the security check might take longer due to my non-Canadian birth, I'm uncertain why the medical examination is experiencing delays. After the CFAT, I was informed that the test went well, and I was eligible to proceed to the medical exam.
The medical test could be experiencing delays because the medical recruiter might not be available. Usually there is a max of 2 medical recruiters doing the medicals. Each one of these could take easily 1 hour to complete, depending on the complexity of the history of the applicant. These appointments are typically booked days/weeks ahead, and the medical recruiter has a write up to do for each applicant prior to sending the file to Ottawa. Similar to what your doctor does between each patient, they write down what happened during the encounter. This also takes time.
Lastly we are coming up to silly season for the CAF, with lots of seasonal forced fun taking up mandatory chunk of our schedule. It's possible your appt won't be booked until January. This won't affect anything in the long run.

^^
And the. There is the “Average” of 49 days for the RMO to pass a file prior to the recruit getting an offer. 🫤

Hi Kzar, I'm only about two months into the application process/wait - and PR - but otherwise on a similar track to you.

Did you get an offer (yet)?

Back