• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Logistics Cap Badge

If a dress capbadge is introduced as with EME, then there will be no "I forgot" amongst the Loggies. If you have other trades then they wear what is issued to them. I wear a cloth badge no matter what, I have worn a metal badge but it was quite the pain. They tend to be cheaply made so don't stand up to constant polishing.

Hey guys just a quick question.

A few years back I saw a picture of a Nav Res CPO2 suptech wearing the Anchor instead of the crossed paperclips. Did NavRes amend the dress policy for there command to state that all Nav Res pers will wear the Anchor ? Or was this just a CPO2 doing his own thing ?

That was just a CPO2 doing his own thing.  He wasn't alone though.  I saw several people do it (including some senior officers), although they were usually former RCN personnel (hence the reason you don't see it anymore).  It was never approved at any level.  I remember the Log Branch Advisor pointedly reminding everyone at a Log Officer gathering that only the Log badge was authorized - you could almost see him choking back the rage as he stated that he had had to personally remind some pretty senior folks about that.  I thought that was a tad interesting considering that as a BGen, HE didn't wear the Log badge!  And now Army colonels don't either.  In summary, with the exception of Army colonels, Log Branch personnel must wear the Log badge.  CWO/CPO1s and officers are permitted to wear the higher quality bullion/composite badges at personal expense.

It is interesting to note that when we first introduced the DEU, VAdm Wood (then Comd MARCOM) stopped wearing the General Officer badge and wore a Naval Ops badge with his new blue uniform.  His fellow flag officers never copied his example to the best of my knowledge.

Pusser said:
I think the only reason that Navy Log personnel use the metal badge (and only on the peak cap) is because the cloth one does not work on the peak cap.
I'm curious how it does now work on the peak cap? Log is the ONLY branch i've seen that wears a metal cap badge on the peak cap...Deck Dept (anchor) INT, etc...all wear cloth badges on the peak cap...so why can't log one work ?  I've had to wear a metal one, and wow am I glad we don't in this branch. Also to the poster who said well metal collar dogs, metal cap badge...how bout the AF loggies...no collar dogs.

Also I found this pretty peculiar...loggies made to wear the black beret when working at RCD's. Is that legit? or just some RSM's thing?

Biggoals2bdone said:
Also I found this pretty peculiar...loggies made to wear the black beret when working at RCD's. Is that legit? or just some RSM's thing?

Yes, it's "legit", it's even in the Canadian Forces Dress Regulations.

I am curious to know whether or not I am allowed to wear the metal loggie badge I have.  I was given it by a CWO, and I was hoping I would be allowed to wear it.

Wynne said:
I am curious to know whether or not I am allowed to wear the metal loggie badge I have.  I was given it by a CWO, and I was hoping I would be allowed to wear it.

Save your money - don't buy the forage cap; my metal loggie badge rests in my jewelery box where it has rested for more than a decade now ...

The answer you seek is "absolutely not."

PS: A CWO eh? Did he give you the metal loggie badge ... or the metal Admin badge (what RMS clerks would have worn back in the day)?

Darn LOL.  It's the metal crossed paperclips that says logistics.  There goes hoping LOL.  The metal look nicer than the cloth.

Biggoals2bdone said:
I'm curious how it does now work on the peak cap? Log is the ONLY branch i've seen that wears a metal cap badge on the peak cap...Deck Dept (anchor) INT, etc...all wear cloth badges on the peak cap...so why can't log one work ?  I've had to wear a metal one, and wow am I glad we don't in this branch. Also to the poster who said well metal collar dogs, metal cap badge...how bout the AF loggies...no collar dogs.

The cloth one doesn't work on the peak cap because it's a cheap piece of crap and it looks horrible!  Anyone in my Department would be told to take it off and replace it with the metal one.  Again I ask, why does every other branch seem to get a nice cloth badge, but Logistics (the LARGEST branch in the CF) gets saddled with an embarrassment?

Please note, that I am not criticizing the symbol, just the manufacture of the actual piece of cloth.

I totally agree. I think the issue is the cap badge was made for Wedges and Berets, which it looks fine on.

Now seeing as how little Naval personnel wear the beret especially in a fleet environment perhaps we could all press our respective dress committees to get that fixed. I like the one the CWO/CPO1 and up wear or perhaps something of the same quality of the Anchor cap badges I have seen...I think the issues is that no one has raised the issue yet.

Pusser said:
The cloth one doesn't work on the peak cap because it's a cheap piece of crap and it looks horrible!  Anyone in my Department would be told to take it off and replace it with the metal one.  Again I ask, why does every other branch seem to get a nice cloth badge, but Logistics (the LARGEST branch in the CF) gets saddled with an embarrassment?

Please note, that I am not criticizing the symbol, just the manufacture of the actual piece of cloth.

I can't disagree with that. In comparison to most, if not all, other cloth cap badges, it's pretty poor quality.

ModlrMike said:
I can't disagree with that. In comparison to most, if not all, other cloth cap badges, it's pretty poor quality.

I'll disagree with you.

There simply is no comparing the currently issued cloth Loggie badges to anything. It looks like shit and it looks like it cost .01 cent each to bring into the system. We get what we pay for --- and it isn't much of anything. It's incompareable and cheap-looking, feeling, and unispiring; the others are priceless objects when set beside.

Pusser said:

I agree with you.

Pusser said:
That was just a CPO2 doing his own thing.  He wasn't alone though.  I saw several people do it (including some senior officers), although they were usually former RCN personnel (hence the reason you don't see it anymore).  It was never approved at any level.  I remember the Log Branch Advisor pointedly reminding everyone at a Log Officer gathering that only the Log badge was authorized - you could almost see him choking back the rage as he stated that he had had to personally remind some pretty senior folks about that.  I thought that was a tad interesting considering that as a BGen, HE didn't wear the Log badge!  And now Army colonels don't either.  In summary, with the exception of Army colonels, Log Branch personnel must wear the Log badge.  CWO/CPO1s and officers are permitted to wear the higher quality bullion/composite badges at personal expense.

It is interesting to note that when we first introduced the DEU, VAdm Wood (then Comd MARCOM) stopped wearing the General Officer badge and wore a Naval Ops badge with his new blue uniform.  His fellow flag officers never copied his example to the best of my knowledge.

God!  That reminds me of the chief MET TECH on Saguenay when I first was serving aboard her in 1987.  Said person, who KNEW all along that he was in an Air Force trade, insisted constantly that he be called "Petty Officer" and not "Warrant Officer."  Not to mention the NAVOPS hatbadge & collar dogs.  He got posted off the ship just as the DEUs were first starting to come out, so I wonder what ultimately happened to him.

There were a number of Met Techs who were more than a little upset when it was decided that they would only wear Air Force DEU.  Both the RCN and the RCAF had Met Techs and there were still a good number of RCN Met Techs (or Met Mates) left in the CF when the DEU came out.  As far as they were concerned, they were Navy, not Air Force.  Unfortunately, they lost that battle, largely because even in the RCN, Met Mates were only there for support of air operations (i.e. Fleet Air Arm).  Thus, it was declared an Air Force trade (as were all pilots, navigators, air maintenance pers, etc) and DEU assigned accordingly.

Tetragrammaton said:
I still have my cornflake... somewhere?

They made us toss ours in the field after we live fired a 105 in Shilo, LOL, back in the day that is (1986)wonder if they still do this, any recent grads of a mud gunner crse?

Fred Herriot said:
God!  That reminds me of the chief MET TECH on Saguenay when I first was serving aboard her in 1987.  Said person, who KNEW all along that he was in an Air Force trade, insisted constantly that he be called "Petty Officer" and not "Warrant Officer."  Not to mention the NAVOPS hatbadge & collar dogs.  He got posted off the ship just as the DEUs were first starting to come out, so I wonder what ultimately happened to him.

I think I may know someone who knows the individual you're talking about.  If I'm not mistaken, he made it much higher than PO....errr, WO...but I'll let you know if I'm thinking of the same person.  ;D

Occam said:
I think I may know someone who knows the individual you're talking about.  If I'm not mistaken, he made it much higher than PO....errr, WO...but I'll let you know if I'm thinking of the same person.  ;D

Were you anywhere in Halifax when that happened?  I wish I could remember the man's name, but this was just before Bob Clayton took command of the ship in his first command slot posting before he took command of Halifax.

Back