• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Jimmies" What do the Signals do?

Eye In The Sky said:
Ummmmm I don't think you should include yourself in the "we're" part.  Are you even a sworn in member of the CF?  'Cause here is the deal...I am a member of the CF, been around for awhile, never been to Afghanistan and I don't consider myself in part of the "we're" that are chasing bad guys and pulling triggers over there.

So I am wondering why you do.  But I can see you didn't take anyones STFU advice and can't post, so maybe you can think about that while you're on RLS.

I for one am quite happy when a member of the public takes ownership of the mission and uses the term "we are fighting".  For too long the public has looked at the CF as a man a part.  We go where there is political will and the Government tells us to; that bus is driven by the people of Canada.  The country is at war, not just the 3000 guys in green/blue/black in the ATO.  I would imagine of the 600 or so pointy end folks who take it squarely on the chin everyday that very few would mind knowing that there are also a large number of regular Canadians in the foxhole with them (figuratively speaking of course).

...although what all this has to do with "what Sigs do" I do not know.  Oh well...back to writing PERs.

Cheers,

Yes, I support our troops and hopefully I can contribute as a member of the CF to the war effort eventually.

tsokman said:
Yes, I support our troops and hopefully I can contribute as a member of the CF to the war effort eventually.

By the time you make it through the training system we will probably be out of this conflict.

EDITED

For grammar, as it seems I got a case of the Mondays........

...IF you make it through the training system.

Do LCIS Techs ever get posted to air force units...I notice they work on UAV maintenance teams per example...thanks...

Theres LCIS positions in Tac Hel Squadrons.

As for the UAV bit, no idea. I don't think theres any formed UAV units in Canada just within the Air Wing in TFK. I think the Artillery(AD) is responsible for the MUAV though.

I think I meant MUAV...umanned aerial vehicles....I read in an article in Afghanistan there were LCIS Techs on MUAV maintenance teams and some LCIS Techs posted to air force wings...would they be working with avionics techs and ATIS techs in anything that crosses over between the army and air force in terms of electronics...

MUAV is just a type of UAV. There are some LCIS Techs that work on the MUAV and smaller UAV's, but only on deployments or workup trg. The larger aircraft types are maintained by the ATIS/AVS Techs. As for LCIS postings with the Air Force just go with what info Skeletor has given, only TAC HEL Sqns, and you still only maintain the GREEN fleet of communications equipment. ATIS techs look after the Airfield equipment, and AVS for anything with wings/ rotor.

GREEN KIT for an LCIS Tech is anything that the ARMY uses for communications to include Field Telephones, Field Switchboards, Radios (both Vehicle and Man Portable), RADAR systems for Surveilance and Counter Mortar uses, Computer equipment (dependant on Unit), Distance and Velocity measuring devices pertaining to the Arty Regts, along with Met equipment pertaining again to the Arty Regts.

What would green kit in an air wing consist of though...Whats the smallest type unit an LCIS Tech would be posted to...I notice they mostly work at the batallion group level from stuff I have read on Afghan rotations....

At a TAC HEL SQN, there would be Radios and Telephones. The SQN being TACTICAL has Command Posts. LCIS Techs posted to TAC HEL SQNS are typicaly senior Cpls, because they are 1 of 1 with no technical supervisor. So comming straight out of CFSCE to a TAC HEL SQN think snowball in hell. Not going to happen. If you want to be with the Air Force so bad then think ATIS.

It woudlnt bother me I was considering aviation tech or avionics tech but they were closed...But I notice theres also cross over with EME branch for LCIS Tech so it just makes it more appealing as a trade....

Be careful with the terminology. Crossover indicates that trades are linked. Only one trade on the EME side (EO Tech- Electro Optical) shares any common training. And that is POET electronics training, after that they follow their own path. LCIS can be embedded into a Maint Tp, but as far as I know that only happens at my fine Regt.

I notice they are embedded into EME maintenance units...Do they ever work with small units like special forces or recon platoons...

Back