• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How to get family on board

Well, I get to break the news to my bubble-wrap father tomorrow (one day after swearing in). Wish me luck.

For what it's worth, my mother was iffy, and still loses sleep over it, but she's been generally supportive, as has my brother (who was considering joining at one point himself).

Well, it went better than expected, aside his initial belief that the Reserves were full of illiterate, alcohol/drug-addicted ex-cons, and that I would be attacked or stabbed on the subway due to the uniform. Was it like that in the 70s or something?  ;D

Marchog said:
Well, it went better than expected, aside his initial belief that the Reserves were full of illiterate, alcohol/drug-addicted ex-cons, and that I would be attacked or stabbed on the subway due to the uniform. Was it like that in the 70s or something?  ;D

still happens....http://www.vancouverite.com/2012/03/08/soldier-stabbed-at-bus-stop/

I heard about that. Wonder if they ever caught the psycho.

EDIT: Upon further research, it appears that the story was a fabrication.

Remember to explain to your parents that from 2002 to 2014, Canada lost more people killed in avalanches while skiing in the mountains than she lost killed in Afghanistan.

8)

Our total losses in Afghanistan would have been considered a bad afternoon by a CEF bn in the First World war.

TCBF said:
Our total losses in Afghanistan would have been considered a bad afternoon by a CEF bn in the First World war.

The Newfoundland Regiment (later Royal Newfoundland Regiment) lost considerably more than that in 15 minutes at Beaumont Hamel.

Hey there,
My names Calvin I am 22 years old from Vancouver B.C. I haven't shared anything about my story yet and I enjoy reading about other peoples myself so I figured Id add one to the list. I graduated High school in 2010 and I always wanted to join the military but I was convinced to pursue schooling instead. I started doing a degree in legal studied and criminology but after about 1 year I dropped out from the mind numbing dullness which is a classroom. In 2012 a friend of mine got me a Job at a Local Kal-Tire where I began an apprenticeship as an Automotive Technician. I've currently achieved my Level 3 ticket but I find the job to be again "mind numbing" so in August 2014 I decided to re-spark my dream of being in the military, except this time around I've had a girlfriend for 3 years. I got my first contact from the Vancouver RC a month after giving me a date for my CFAT. Im thinking to myself "great! Ill write the CFAT see how it goes and then Ill tell my Girlfriend". So November comes around I write my CFAT and go home. So its December and I still haven't heard about my CFAT so after calling the RC like a madman for 1 week trying to get in touch with them I finally do and it turns out they were missing some paperwork so I bring it down there the next day and they tel me i scored very high on the CFAT for the trades I am applying for. So today's the day then, I have to tell my girlfriend about my plans. Lets just say she doesn't take it very well for obvious reasons. Well i don't let it slow me down and keep going through the process. Feb. 18 2015 I had my interview. I've read alot of posts about peoples interview experiences and it got me a little nervous ie; know military history, everything about your trades etc.
I did some reading up about current events I refreshed my memory with my trades and their training and locations and some of the obvious basic interview questions/answers. Well it went great so for all those worrying about your interview, don't. Just know your basic stuff. Anyways, march 5th i completed my medical it all went great other than when I was doing the physical the examiner said she hears a murmur in my heart and Ill have to go get signed off by my doctor. No problem, I was born with a hole in my heart but its mostly closed up and Its never affected me what so ever I'm just waiting for my doctor to get back from vacation on march 20th. The hardest part about the applications o far is getting my girlfriend on board with this. I feel like a dick asking her to pack up and move all her things when/ IF im done training and transfer university s but I find that if I randomly bring it up and we talk a little about it then it helps!

Why not just show her this ----->  http://www.forces.ca/en/page/forfamilies-151

I find that many "significant others" of potential CAF candidates have a "Hollywood" view of a military life that is nothing but hardship and separation.  Have no doubts; there will be hardships and separations, but in many ways, Hollywood's most realistic portrayal of military family life is "I Dream of Jeanie" (less the genie).  That is to say, the vast majority of military members live relatively normal lives, with 2.6 kids, a dog and/or cat, and two cars in the driveway of a modest house in the suburbs.  We go to movies, play in the park and volunteer with our kids' activities.

My parents come home from vacation later tonight, for me to tell them that I'm flying out Saturday.

My mom is completely against it, like 100%. When I told her I was merit listed she just busted out in tears without even knowing what the Merit list is...

I've told her why I'm joining, yet she still doesn't understand. She just thinks that the first day of BMQ, I'll get gunned down.

She wants me to stay so bad that when I randomly asked where my passport was (Assuming that I needed it for the Military) then she hid it, and I haven't been able to find it since.

Anyways, tomorrow morning should be rather... Eventful.

I'd like to offer a few words for consideration on the family and other important topics, being in the application process for a long time and having had many tough conversations with family about joining the military.

I think "getting your family on board" is not the best way to think about it. The idea is not to sell your family on your endeavors. I would recommend really thinking deeply about the reason you'd like to join the military and making sure it's a good one. By good I mean that ideally you'd like to bring positive change. Help people. Improve quality of life. Save lives. Realize that there is a very high chance this may not turn out so. Armed conflict, for example, may not result in any of these positive consequences, and instead result in quite the opposite, as history has shown countless times. Do you look at it as saving lives or taking lives? You should think about that too. At the very least, to not become a liability, but rather gain useful skills and become an asset. Think about what you may be asked to do in the military. Do you believe you can? Do you believe the consequences will be positive or negative? Think about your particular trade/occupation in the military. Do you see yourself being an asset in that particular trade? Think about politics too. Are you prepared to follow orders? Realize that you will not necessarily always understand or agree with them. Think about your loved ones. Your responsibility is not only to your country but to your family, to people who have given you everything. So instead of just convincing your family, I would suggest talking with them about everything, and making sure you are altogether in agreement and at peace. You will feel much better and more satisfied, whether in the end your decision is to join or not. The most satisfaction and peace of mind comes from believing that you've made the right choice, not from the actual end result.

Some of the bad attitudes and their resolutions, in my opinion:

- Joining just because you have extra testosterone and just want to shoot guns and blow things up all the time. Of course it's a lot of fun. But there's a lot more to it. And your actions have consequences. Think about them. Don't do things just because they seem "cool". That kind of thinking only serves yourself.

- Joining simply because you don't know what to do with your life. I frown every time I hear that. I understand many people, especially young people, experience this. I'm no exception. However, it's your life and you only have one. Don't just float through life if you can help it. Put in some effort, figure out what you like, where you belong, and what you want to achieve and why. Then decide how you can best achieve it, whether with the military or in the civilian world. Try to have reasons for why you do things, have a bigger picture in mind. It doesn't have to be complete, or exact, or set in stone. But it's always good to continue thinking about why you do the things you do. Don't do them "just because", as you may regret them later, when you wise up. I'm not saying don't take chances. I'm just saying do some thinking. And make sure the thinking is your own. Recruiters are there to guide you, and I have met many helpful recruiters, however they also have an interest in recruiting you, keep that in mind. In my experience, however, recruiters don't push you to do anything you don't want to, so that's great to see.

- Don't disregard advice of your family and the older generation. While some advice may be outdated or based on a different place, a lot of things in life never change. It's important to do the things you think are right, and make your own mistakes to really learn. However, don't dismiss life advice from older and wiser people. Process it and see what you can take from it, see what you agree and disagree with. Give it thought and make your own decision in the end. It took me a long time to really appreciate this. You know how parents tell you "you'll thank me later"? There's a lot of truth to that. Also, don't resent your family if they disagree with your military decision. In most cases, it simply means they care about you probably more than you realize, but maybe they just haven't quite found the right ways or words to express that.

- Don't have the attitude that the military world is cooler than the civilian world, or vise versa. Don't become that annoying army guy or girl, who act superior the minute they've completed boot camp. It's obnoxious and your friendships might suffer because of it. Be confident and humble. We all have our own path to follow and our own battles to fight. If you know in your heart you are doing the right thing, and you are happy with your career choice, you shouldn't have to prove anything to anyone or seek validation. Humble competent professionals are usually the most respected.

Just my :2c:. Not trying to influence anyone one way or another. Just some thinking points that I thought were worth a mention, to help people think deeper about the meaning of their actions and the impact they make.

Good advice Gunshark. My entire family is against me joining the military, I come from a very traditional Chinese family where they want me to be a doctor, engineer, accountant, businessman, etc. They see any sort of physical labour as an unskilled job and only define success as two things; higher education and a 9-5 desk job. My dad even said on the topic of me not going to university after high school because I didn't believe it would help me get a job, "It doesn't matter if you get a job or not, as long as you have a degree that's all that matters." Sure, well you're not the one paying student loans.

I'm joining the army because I enjoy working on my feet, working on the go. The army provides me with paid training, a stable career afterwards, and the opportunity to be part of a team (The entire CF) and grow both personally and career wise. I really hope I get selected to be part of the CF

highway7 said:
Good advice Gunshark. My entire family is against me joining the military, I come from a very traditional Chinese family where they want me to be a doctor, engineer, accountant, businessman, etc. They see any sort of physical labour as an unskilled job and only define success as two things; higher education and a 9-5 desk job. My dad even said on the topic of me not going to university after high school because I didn't believe it would help me get a job, "It doesn't matter if you get a job or not, as long as you have a degree that's all that matters." Sure, well you're not the one paying student loans.

I'm joining the army because I enjoy working on my feet, working on the go. The army provides me with paid training, a stable career afterwards, and the opportunity to be part of a team (The entire CF) and grow both personally and career wise. I really hope I get selected to be part of the CF

Why not get an education and pursue a military career at the same time? I'm happy with the experiences I've gained, but I'm getting to the point where not having yet finished a degree limits my potential in life. If you are academically inclined, I highly suggest you consider university. If you aren't afraid of a leadership challenge - go officer. Even those of us who aren't officers (NCMs like myself) eventually have to be able to lead. You are going to be expected to make decisions and stand behind them - you will never be able to please everyone all the time. The same thing applies to your family.

Just  :2c: from someone who has ignored a lot of great advice in the past.

Spectrum: good points. However, it can be done the other way as well. I did 3 years in the reg force then got a few degrees.

Agreed, there are many ways to approach things. My point being that his parents want him to get a degree, he wants  to join the military and have a stable career, and he's conscious (rightfully so) of potential student debt. Admission to ROTP could satisfy all of those requirements, and I feel it would open the most doors for a young person with the "right stuff".

I would second the above advice any day - absolutely do consider going to school (university). When you're young and your parents push you to go, it can come off as "we want to run your life" and the kid's attitude tends to be rebellious. However, school is a great thing on so many levels - opens up your mind, gives you knowledge, teaches you how to problem solve, surrounds you with intelligent people. You should WANT to go to school yourself, not because your parents want you to. If you absolutely DON'T WANT to go to school but do end up going because your parents made you, chances are you will thank them 10 years later when you understand what they meant all along.

Oh and the reason your parents are saying engineer, doctor, lawyer is because these are well paying jobs and always in demand. Many people get arts degrees and then struggle to find work. There is nothing wrong with following your passion, just have a plan for getting a job later to support yourself. A lot of young people don't plan for that and work retail after university.

As for the military. Why not both? Plenty of reservists are university students. Reserves will also give you a chance to feel the atmosphere of the CAF and then once you have a university degree, you will have all doors open for yourself - continue in the CAF if you love it, or get a good civvy job. Being in the Reserves will also help you pay your student loans. If you leave the CAF, you will walk away with great skills and memories. If you stay in the Reserves, you will continue training and picking up a few extra bucks to add to your civvy job. Sounds pretty good.

Look at my case. I have a degree and a job. And I decided to join NCM in the Reserves, although I could've gone Officer, because I wanted to be in the field with the guys doing the dirty work. Still early to tell how that will turn out, but that's the plan for now.

Hi all,

I have been really excited because I was offered a trade (combat engineer) that would be a change for me, a new start in a career I've always wanted to do. But since my offer to head to basic my wife has changed her supportive attitude... Which really isn't fun. I was offered a job with an ambulance service and she is dead set that I should just stick with what I've been doing for the last 7 years.

With all that going on, now I am finding myself torn. I love my wife, she wants to start trying for kids but with the perception she has of the military she is doubting that now. Not to mention the financial side of things. Due to the layoffs from the north, I was able to draw EI and make almost 1000 every two weeks. She is worried that the 700 every two weeks won't be enough to cover our bills at home.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I know it's a hard post to answer, but anything would help. If for nothing else it's good to just write it all out!

Cheers

First off, if you want to do this, you need the support of your family, if you are to remain a family.  However, to allay some of your wife's fears:

1)  Financially, it may be a bit rough at the beginning, but things get better rather quickly.  Remember that promotion up to corporal is automatic and corporals make pretty decent money compared to a lot of jobs.  As of today, a basic corporal makes $56K/yr; however, we're due for a pay raise.

2)  A career in the CAF is virtually (not completely, but virtually) lay-off proof.  Basically, showing up on time and wearing the correct clothing will keep you employed for a long time.  Doing better than that can often provide greater rewards.

3)  Although there will be separations due to training and deployments, most CAF members are quite able to live normal middle class lives:  house, two cars, 2.6 kids, dog, cat, social life, sporting activities, volunteer activities (e.g. hockey coach, scout leader), etc.

A little bit of pain now can lead to great rewards in the future if you play your cards right.

Back