• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hmmm...I wounder what the big lift ship is for??

Navy_Blue

Inactive
Reaction score
Well for those of you in Halifax you may have noticed the MV Tern a heavy lift ship.  Over the next few days if you keep an eye on it you may get to see some interesting things.  I'll update further as more information becomes available to everyone. 

More to Follow

mvtern.jpg

I'm in Halifax, over at the DAL Engineering campus (Barrington/Spring Garden), haven't noticed the ship yet but i'll have to go take a look later.  Where is it located?

CDN Aviator said:

Have you got a higher res picture CDN Aviator? Is that a picture taken from the coast?

In any case, the MV Tern is a Dutch float-on/float-off ship. It has been used in the past to transport US Army watercrafts... interesting...

TimBit said:
Have you got a higher res picture CDN Aviator? Is that a picture taken from the coast?

Just got the pic by doing a google search. There were better ones but that pic didnt have cargo on the deck.

According to marintraffic.com she's moored near Point Pleasant Park

Well, we are expecting one of Victoria's sisters out here in a little over a month or so...;).

MM

Yeah I heard that they are sending the HMCS Chicoutimi out west for repair.  But I can't see that ship waiting around until then, seems like its still going to be awhile before they send the sub out west.  And it's moored down around pier 18ish (south of pier 21).  could be in town for civi reasons?

According to http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/myalbum/viewcat.php?cid=51, she's taking HMCS Chicoutimi to Esquimalt.  I guess that's public information now.  :)

I guess it is now...seems a little early, considering when she's supposed to be here, but maybe they're planning on a nice easy trip.

MM

Yeah, that's what I thought.  I was up in Kingston over the weekend, where I heard that a civi contract was finally awarded to a company in Victoria to do the work on her.  Therefore my initial thought of it must be here to take the HMCS Chicoutimi out west looks true.  I just thought it would take a little longer to get her ready for transport and I must me pretty costly having that ship waiting around.

Well if you drove over the Mackay thismorning you would have seen the Tern settleing down to accept her cargo.  Around 1000 you would see the HMCS Chicoutimi tugged up the harbour and by now loaded on the Tern.  Still odds and end things to do but she will be on her way to the west coast soon enough.

She has been at the mouth of the harbour for 2 weeks now waiting for today.  I can't Imagin its cheap to hold her like that.

She comes to Vancouver to deliver yachts and picks them up at the end of the boating season as well.

C'mon guys, it's HMCS CHICOUTIMI, not 'the' HMCS CHICOUTIMI. Thought we went through this already! Current plan (I believe) sees Victoria, BC getting 3 of the boats (VIC, CHI, COR) and WDR being done at HSL.  Same vessel (again, I believe) that brought her over from Faslane after the fire.
Pretty amazing to see!

Victoria's EDWP is being done by FMF CB and Windsor is being done by FMF CS, these are the last ones to be done by the FMFs the rest of the EDWPs for the Victoria class will be conducted bu CSMG/ Vic Ship under the VISSC program.

On the way to Esquimalt probably to be used for parts to get Victoria running.

DSC_0875_Medium.JPG

Back