• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Everything KeLouJoH knows [Split from other threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The majority of positions require a degree for entry. Few 19 years olds have degrees.
But I used to know this person, he was 20 years old and apparently worked for the CSIC. Well, he didn't tell me that exactly, I surmised it. He didn't have a university degree, however he was very sharp and good with computers. I think they recruited him due to his computer prowess cause they needed talents in that area.

I would tell him that he is not getting into CSIS straight out of high school. He would need to do a Co-op preferably with UOttawa or Carleton while doing his Bachelor's, or he needs to finish his Master's degree to have a realistic shot with CSIS.

International Affairs Masters at Carleton with co-op would be your best bet if you are looking for a program. Also, don't neglect French

But I used to know this person, he was 20 years old and apparently worked for the CSIC. Well, he didn't tell me that exactly, I surmised it. He didn't have a university degree, however he was very sharp and good with computers. I think they recruited him due to his computer prowess cause they needed talents in that area.
Likely as a student in COOP or FSWEP.

Why not get a university degree first? While doing the degree join the reserves. Once the degree is acquired then he can apply for the CSIS

A very close family member did this. Would recommend.

I don't need to be convinced of bias in printed and traditional news media because I know it already. Now I want to talk about something else: bias in Wikipedia.

Wikipedia has a strong neo-Liberal bias. The site seems to have been weaponized to smear anybody and any organization to the right of center. A list of words they like to employ: the far right, extremist, conspiracy theorist/theory, Trump supporter...etc etc and these groups and people are all political dissenters and the regime's detractors.

Also, It bills itself as the free and impartial encyclopedia that anybody can edit, however, the reality is that they seem to have dedicated staff whose only job is to watch for any edits people make and instantly change it back to what it was before. A regular person with a job and a life can never win these "edit wars".

Anyway, just wondering what your experience with Wikipedia is.

I don't need to be convinced of bias in printed and traditional news media because I know it already. Now I want to talk about something else: bias in Wikipedia.

Wikipedia has a strong neo-Liberal bias. The site seems to have been weaponized to smear anybody and any organization to the right of center. A list of words they like to employ: the far right, extremist, conspiracy theorist/theory, Trump supporter...etc etc and these groups and people are all political dissenters and the regime's detractors.

Also, It bills itself as the free and impartial encyclopedia that anybody can edit, however, the reality is that they seem to have dedicated staff whose only job is to watch for any edits people make and instantly change it back to what it was before. A regular person with a job and a life can never win these "edit wars".

Anyway, just wondering what your experience with Wikipedia is.
With anything, Wikipedia has listed sources. Generally a good idea to check those in relation to what is being posted.

Wikipedia is a good source of general info but isn’t really recommended as a source itself for anything beyond coffee house chat or informal debates like we do here.

So he didn’t tell you he worked for CSIS, you surmised it. He could have been a janitor at CSIS for all you know. He could have worked at the Starbucks next door or the mall across the street.

As for intelligence agency or the army - too vague still. What job are you doing in the army? There is every thing from cook to infantry to intelligence operator to doctor to logistics officer to driver. We can’t compare data entry clerk at CSIS (likely the only job you would get out of high school if you were lucky enough to get hired) to all the possible career choices in the military.

This is what I had suspected, and now it's confirmed.

Maybe someone my age needs to consider some type of office work, like an officer.
Officers don’t get sit on their asses in their offices until they have put in a few years in the field so to speak.

With anything, Wikipedia has listed sources. Generally a good idea to check those in relation to what is being posted.

Wikipedia is a good source of general info but isn’t really recommended as a source itself for anything beyond coffee house chat or informal debates like we do here.
Generally good for information on anything non-controversial or topical. If I want to quickly get some information on how many Sherman tanks were built, it is a decent if imperfect source. It has some good archaeology and historical sections as well. If you want information on conflicts in the Middle East, errrrr...

I would tell this person that they have a reasonable chance to live to 100 years old and may reasonably have a 40 year working career.

I would say forget about your 'career' until you are 30. In the interim, go to school, read poetry, travel the world, go on the road with a rock band and do all things young people should do. In this instance I would say join the military and sign up for the most kick-ass job you WANT to do regardless of career implication. A military job that might have you travelling the world on ships, jumping out of airplanes or serving in some very high risk areas.

When you hit 30 years old you will know what you want to do, you should have some skills and experience and should be ready to settle down a bit.

Perhaps you or they should first look at what the entry-level job requirements are. CSIS solicits for job applications here:

Requirements for the various CAF occupations and subsidized education plans can be found on Forces.ca

As others have already said, it really comes down to what the person wants to do, and what options are available to them. It's possible they won't be considered for CSIS until they have at least one post-secondary degree and some relevant work experience. It's also possible that they are not "medically fit" for military service or are uncompetitive for the trades they want. As well, it's not uncommon for CAF members to join the public service, including CSIS, after leaving the military. It's also possible to be a member of the primary reserve while a public servant (including CSIS).

If my grandson was of age and asked me about joining the military? Given today's conditions, I'd say no. At least not until we have a government that sincerely cares about the CAF. However, if you want to be a part of a massive social experiment, fill your boots

Don't forget, in most cases almost anyone can edit a Wiki page. Unless it's locked.
Everybody except Stephen Colbert, with his ‘Wikiality’ intransigence re-imagining the lives of elephants…

The further one strays from topics about the physical universe into topics about the social and political universe, the more junk.
This is exactly how I feel, sir.

Nowadays I only use Wikipedia to look up the personal lives of singers and artists that I like. I don't even use it as a source for scientific or philosophical terms. It just goes on and on and on, giving way too much info. Sometimes I just want a quick definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back