• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Everything KeLouJoH knows [Split from other threads]

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was this written test like? They gave you a topic and then asked you to write an essay?

They gave you a series of questions, topics were primarily math and english but with differences measuring cognitive ability, spacial sense etc.

Realistically after 40ish the human body's resilience is far less useful to soldiering than it used to be. So to be a brand new entry rank at that age is more of a liability to the CAF than it isn't. But we are a nice country and wouldn't want to disappoint anyone so we keep telling ourselves how great a 50 yrs old recruit will be. A 50 yr old recruit being more useful to the CAF than a 20 yr old recruit is simply too rare for it to be a worthwhile investment, I'm surprised it's even entertained.

They gave you a series of questions, topics were primarily math and english but with differences measuring cognitive ability, spacial sense etc.
I see, thanks for the response.

So it's like a multiple-choice type of questions. This is good news for me, cause I am not good at writing essays, lol.

Hello, let's say there is a really smart 19-year old person. He gets very good grades in school and there is a good chance he will go far in life. If you could give him some advice, would you tell him to go into the armed forces, or the CSIS?

Thanks.

I'd tell him/her to apply for both......since no matter how far one thinks they'll go, the stars don't always align.
That's fair, but what I mean is that if he has to choose one. For example, let's say both institutions have accepted his application so now he has to choose.

Hello, let's say there is a really smart 19-year old person. He gets very good grades in school and there is a good chance he will go far in life. If you could give him some advice, would you tell him to go into the armed forces, or the CSIS?

Thanks.
Are they interested in CSIS? Are they interested in joining the CAF? School smarts do not necessarily translate into actual intelligence or life smarts. What does this person want to do in the CAF? What is CSIS offering? Is the salary the same? what about benefits? location of the job? length of contract? Too many variables for someone who isn't YOU to decide for you.

A word of caution. I am going to interject some reality. What is legal and practical are not always the same.

I trained DP1 infantry soldiers for 4 years at Meaford (The next course after basic for infantry, predominantly RCR but we trained some Patricias and Van Doos as well). I then managed PAT/PAR (Untrained pers awaiting training or removed from training for various reasons) personnel for 2 years after that.

These are my observations. You can tell me to go to hell but I am the reality grinch.
1. Most people over age 30 attempting basic infantry courses suffer from injuries more often and take longer to recover;
2. Rarely did people over about 35 end up passing their basic infantry and some suffered permanent injuries; and
3. I would estimate about half of the didn't make it over 35 crowd got medically re-assigned (still employable) and the others ended up getting medically released. Its a long slow process either way.

MY RECCOMENDATIONS are this. If your over 30-35, sure give 'er a go but please consider something outside the combat arms which are gruelling enough for 20 year old bucks.

A word of caution. I am going to interject some reality. What is legal and practical are not always the same.

I trained DP1 infantry soldiers for 4 years at Meaford (The next course after basic for infantry, predominantly RCR but we trained some Patricias and Van Doos as well). I then managed PAT/PAR (Untrained pers awaiting training or removed from training for various reasons) personnel for 2 years after that.

These are my observations. You can tell me to go to hell but I am the reality grinch.
1. Most people over age 30 attempting basic infantry courses suffer from injuries more often and take longer to recover;
2. Rarely did people over about 35 end up passing their basic infantry and some suffered permanent injuries; and
3. I would estimate about half of the didn't make it over 35 crowd got medically re-assigned (still employable) and the others ended up getting medically released. Its a long slow process either way.

MY RECCOMENDATIONS are this. If your over 30-35, sure give 'er a go but please consider something outside the combat arms which are gruelling enough for 20 year old bucks.
Agree with everything you wrote. the older folks on my course were not combat arms. The female was a lab tech for example, so BMQ was the hardest course they were going to do in their career. Hardest as in most physically demanding.

Agree with everything you wrote. the older folks on my course were not combat arms. The female was a lab tech for example, so BMQ was the hardest course they were going to do in their career. Hardest as in most physically demanding.
Regardless of the trade you're going into; if one person is not physically in shape, all ages included, someone WILL find the BMQ's PT physically demanding.

I'm 38 and greatly in shape for my age, but like ArmyRick said, stay away from combat arm trades as they're more physically and prone to injuries if you're over 35. This is why I chose a trade that's not too much physically demanding, but not to soft either (MSE OP).

Why not get a university degree first? While doing the degree join the reserves. Once the degree is acquired then he can apply for the CSIS or transfer to the reg force. Just a thought.

Nobody can get inside another person's head/heart and know what they may or may not find fulfilling in life. Also like any large organizations there are some people in the CAF/CSIS that love the organization and what they do in it and others that joined and found out that it wasn't for them.

The best you can do is pick the path you think best matches what you'll find fulfilling and give it a try. If it doesn't work out try something different. Life very rarely unfolds the way you might picture it when you're 19 years old so don't go into it assuming that the choice you make is set in stone for life.

Why not get a university degree first? While doing the degree join the reserves. Once the degree is acquired then he can apply for the CSIS or transfer to the reg force. Just a thought.
Maybe because their career plans have no use for a university degree? Lots of trades out there don't require you to spend 4 or more years getting a university degree that you will never use and a student loan to pay off. Unless you are going Officer this is something to consider really carefully. you can also join and get the degree over time

Maybe because their career plans have no use for a university degree? Lots of trades out there don't require you to spend 4 or more years getting a university degree that you will never use and a student loan to pay off. Unless you are going Officer this is something to consider really carefully. you can also join and get the degree over time
As @dapaterson stated, no significant career progression can be achieved as a 19 year old or even securing a good position. Especially, if he has really good grades then he won't have an issue getting a degree.

Are they interested in CSIS? Are they interested in joining the CAF? School smarts do not necessarily translate into actual intelligence or life smarts. What does this person want to do in the CAF? What is CSIS offering? Is the salary the same? what about benefits? location of the job? length of contract? Too many variables for someone who isn't YOU to decide for you.
All these questions are very reasonable. I guess I didn't word my original post very well. What I am trying to ask is, for someone who has the potential for high achievement, which institution would offer the greatest career prospects? The army or the intelligence agency.

I am also not saying that just because someone gets good grades in school that means he's smart. I know that intelligence is more than that.

Realistically after 40ish the human body's resilience is far less useful to soldiering than it used to be. So to be a brand new entry rank at that age is more of a liability to the CAF than it isn't.
This is what I had suspected, and now it's confirmed.

Maybe someone my age needs to consider some type of office work, like an officer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back