• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

diving

NCRCrow said:
Exempt required to stay current....

Nope.

The minimum standard for CF divers must be met during the annual EXPRES evaluation, but the minimum diver's standard does not always equate to an exempt. As far as staying current, unless it's changed in the last day or so, there are 4 things that are required to stay current in the non CD qualifications (i.e. STD, Cbt D, etc.):

1) one dive every 90 days,
2) current Dive medical within the last 12 months,
3) been no longer than 3 years since last requal or initial qualification, and
4) current EXPRES evaluation with the MPFS for divers met in the last 12 months, or an Exempt from the previous year.

Of course, being current does not always equal being proficient   ;)

DIVE ARMY!

bLUE fOX said:
Thanks for the info. as far as a dive team though, i was told they only have one diver for emergency purposes. mayhaps i was misinformed. again. and as far as a CI doing diving at a camp, I was talking to the CO of Ontario and he said they are thinking of opening up a cadet dive program there. it is to be staffed by former CF divers. So I guess you got me. ;)

Wasn't the cadet dive program squashed in the late '80's / early '90's?

Anyway, why would a cadet camp in Kingston require "emergency" divers when there is a Naval Reserve dive team basically right across the street, or a Combat Dive Team 3 hours away in Pet that are properly trained for this type of thing? Sounds like a dive accident waiting to happen to me.....

Just out of curiosity what do you mean a dive accident? I know originally they had a program in Patricia Bay, British Columbia, and it was cancelled. But the way it was explained to me was that there would probably be an age restriction (IE 16+) for this new program. I have never dived in the Kingston area but I hear it can be tricky in some places what with current and such, so it seems to me that having younger cadets do this type of program would be dangerous. and about the reserve dive team, would all navy reserve units have one? a full team i mean, or just a loose gaggle of people who are qualified/certified? thanks for your answers

Not being a Navy guy, I can only go off the little bit I know of how their reserve PID teams and Ship's Diver teams are set up, but I would hazard to say that all Navy reserve units do not have a dive team. If you look up CFAO 43-2, even though it is outdated by a few years, you will get some of the info you need on the diving org of the CF.
For Cadet diving, check out Chapter 7 of Cadet Water Safety Orders for how it is to be run.

A dive accident, is exactly that - an accident occuring while diving. Having *one* diver for emergency purposes (your words, not mine) is not a very smart idea IMHO. Anyone who has any kind of schmick about diving knows that one should never be diving alone - unless tended (for you CF diver types who are starting to circle like sharks ;) ) or there are extenuating circumstances. ESPECIALLY when you're talking about young adults who have very little experience.

Besides, I don't know exactly what kind of "emergencies" a cadet camp would have that would require a lone diver to suit up and jump in with no backup? A sunken sailboat doesn't exactly constitute an emergency. But like I said earlier, there are properly trained CF teams in the area who can provide search and recovery assets, so why not use them?

I hadn't considered the safety of one diver, and that makes huge sense. Like I said these are things I was told and by the sounds of it from some fairly unreliable sources. thanks for the info.

392 said:
Anyone who has any kind of schmick about diving knows that one should never be diving alone - unless tended (for you CF diver types who are starting to circle like sharks ;) )

LMAO >:D

Gully

Back