• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

diving

WO2 Gubbels

Inactive
Reaction score
  Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has done the diving training here, and if so how was it.  I have heard that it is hard to get on and hard to do but i was just wondering, if I wished to attempt at anyrate through the naval reserves, what kind of expectations should I be trying to meet in all aspects?

Thanks
                      Jason Gubbels

Check the recruiting website for information on the Reserve Trade called "Port Inspection Diver"

The site is located at: Navy Recruiting Website

You need to be in good physical condition for the course and must be exempt on your express test annually to be a diver.

What is the express test?? I did read the blurp on it, just wondering what in great physical fitness meant?

An express test is an annual fitness test taken by all members of the CF, or at least they are suppost to take it.

Information on the express test can be viewed at:

http://www.psphalifax.ns.ca/FleetFitness/expres.asp

As for great physical condition, you would be doing quite a bit of running, PT and diving daily.

Naval Port Inspection Diver is a trade within the Naval Reserve. You can also get on a Ship's Team Diver course. This course is open to any CF member, but like the Basic Parachutist''s course, you must be able to demonstrate a benefit to the forces to get selected for it, ie, a possibility of being employed as a diver, and the potential to pass (physically fit) so if you were to be posted to a MCDV, or express interest in being posted to an MCDV, or looking for fulltime employment attached to halifax or Esquimalt, that would fit the bill. Usually the STD course is offered to port inspection divers, but I have seen other reserves get this course, for the reasons noted. Good luck

The hardcore diving course is clearance diver. As a reserve you are also eligible to apply. After your course you will be working as a clearance diver fully qualify and in the reserve. The course is in Esquimalt and also the 2 weeks pre-selection.
cheers

Not entirely true, TB. Yes the hardcore divers are the Clearance Divers ( Strength in Depth!). Yes Reserves can apply. BUT they must first be qualified as a Canadian Forces Diver (Ship's Diver, Combat Diver, SAR Tech Diver, Port Inspection Diver) to be considered. If they are selected after the prelim in either Esquimalt or Halifax, then they will be offered a component transfer, and will join the Regular Force.

thanks for the infos kj_gully, I didn't know that. One of my friend is on is clearance diver course in Esquimalt and he's working is ass pretty hard. In fact they were doing some competitions with the sar tech students over there.

Is it possible to become a diver if you are an officer, or is it only open to NCM's?

Yes Officers can become Clearance Divers.

As was mentioned earlier, they too would have to complete the Ship Diver's Supervisors course (similar to the Ship's Divers course with additional organizational subjects included). Then you would have to complete the Prelim course to be selected for a Clearance Diver Officers course.

Just getting past the Prelim is a battle. I'm sure any Clearance Diver will tell you that "Many have tried, few have succeeded"

Is it possible to become a diver if you are an officer, or is it only open to NCM's?

I did the Ship's Team Diver course last summer, and I am an Officer Cadet. Actually, I'm not even in the Navy, but I managed to get on the course. Some courses are "easier" than others because it depends on your staff how much they want to push you. After the six weeks, we only had 4 people left (two RMC cadets, and two naval reservists) It's a bag drive, but it's worth it in the end. When you get those dolphins, your regulator nearly falls out of your mouth because how much you're smiling.

Treading water in a pool at 2 o'clock in the morning is not exactly my idea of fun, but it certainly instills discipline...or maybe that was fear.

Jumping off the back of a Halifax class ship in a dry suit and doubles on your back is pretty exciting, not to mention doing helo rescue swimmer drop offs from the seakings. ah, the memories

There is a requirement for officers to undergo Dive training. There is an officer position on every CF dive Team. You undergo your dive supervisor training while on your basic dive course. The same applies to NCO's MCpl & above.

kj_gully said:
There is a requirement for officers to undergo Dive training. There is an officer position on every CF dive Team. You undergo your dive supervisor training while on your basic dive course. The same applies to NCO's MCpl & above.

I wouldn't say that is 100% correct, or at least as it pertains to Ship's Diver Teams.

There is a requirement for a member of the team to have completed the Diver Supervisor course. Depending on the ship, you may see the only person with that qualification is a Snr NCO.

You are correct, but there would likely be a non dive-qualified officer delegated by the CO taking responsibility for the admin of the team. Regardless of who fills the billet, the position is diving officer, and is properly filled by a commisioned member.

If i were interested in applying for a basic divers or divers supervisors course where would I go to get information? Any help would be appreciated

bLUE fOX said:
If i were interested in applying for a basic divers or divers supervisors course where would I go to get information? Any help would be appreciated

You mean as a CIC officer ? Is there a need / reasoning for that ?

HMCS Quadra and Ontario both have positions forships diver (or so i have been told) and both of those are cadet summer camps. I am none to sure about the east coast camps But i am fairly certain that Ontario has such an opening. Any one care to correct or elaborate?

I am 99.95% certain that you will not be course loaded as a Cadet instructor. No, make that 99.999% This is a course open to Serving members of the Canadian Forces, or Reseves. There may be a position at the aforementioned bases/units, if so I do not know of it. I know there is no Ship's dive team here in Comox (Hmcs Quadra). If there is a position, it would be held by a member with the qual on Temporary Duty, or MAYBE by someone who was qualified while in, and carrying out the duty now as a CI ( I doubt it). There needs to be At least 4, and better 5 qualified divers to make up a dive team. Get in the Navy, get the Course. Officers get their supervisor's qual during basic diver training ( see previous post) I was in the Navy for 7 years as a clearance diver, so that's how come I can say this with such conviction. Good luck

Gully

Thanks for the info. as far as a dive team though, i was told they only have one diver for emergency purposes. mayhaps i was misinformed. again. and as far as a CI doing diving at a camp, I was talking to the CO of Ontario and he said they are thinking of opening up a cadet dive program there. it is to be staffed by former CF divers. So I guess you got me. ;)

Back