• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF experience relevant to RCMP, civ policing? (merged)

I'm going to burst one bubble for you, and in the nicest way, I hope.

You say that TPS told you that military service looks good on a resume. Great. This is true.

But, should you be successful in the ATS stage and make it to the interview, you will discover that there are plenty of people with FAR GREATER military resumes than a 3 yr Pte (you). You will be holding up your service in comparison to Reg Force Sgt's, snipers, former CANSOF, Cbt Engineers/EOD Operators, Clearance Divers, all of whom will have years of operational experience in building and leading teams, in dangerous and lethal environments, and with technical skills and qualifications which you will never have heard of.

Off the top of my head I can think of 2 people who went OPP, one was a MWO Cbt Engr EOD Operator, the other was a Sniper Sgt.

Now I'm not saying you will not get selected, far from it. However if you wish to gain anything from the military to put towards an LE career, you are going to have to invest far more than 3 years.

Basically, 3 yr Pte's are a dime a dozen when applying to the emergency services, you are going to have to have something extra to pull you ahead of the pack.

I've been in the CF 24 years next month.  K?

Last night I was talking to 2 RCMP Constables ref: an incident with a local glue-bag in my neighborhood.  I think of myself as "general public" when I am interacting with LEOs because I am.

1.  I am not on duty and if I were it would have nothing to do with assisting them in the performance of their job or the conduct of mine.

2.  I'm not trained or qualified in their job so I don't second guess their professional opinion; I listen to it and consider it. 

3.  They know I am in the CF.  They (and I) also know it gives me no special 'perks' when dealing with day to day 'stuff' like what they were there to deal with.

I know sometimes people come across a way they don't intend to in Cyberland.  BUT...I am going to say this to hopefully help you out, ok?  Of course this is only my opinion and I could be way off.

You come across, thru your posts, as a guy who has a bit of a chip on his shoulder, who wants to use the CF to get ahead, as opposed to SERVE in the CF and benefit from that experience if possible (big difference in my eyes...I could be wrong).  I also think you have may an inflated 'view' of how uniformed service people are or should be treated and thought of by Joe and Jane Taxpayer. 

I also think I can almost 100% assure you that BMQ and, more so, Infantry Battle School are going to be eye opening experiences for you.  Those experiences are better taken in stride and learned from with some humility/a humble approach.

I used to teach BMQs and other level courses and you get to see all kinds walk thru the doors; you start to get an ability to pick out 'indicators'.  I also remember the errors of my own ways/thinking when I was younger.

Serving Canada and Canadians is a honourable thing to do.  Just don't lose sight of the fact that we do serve the people too.

:2c:

Those men you're speaking of are the 30 percent I am speaking of.
I just want to be part of the 30 percentage.

I wouldn't be joining the cf or wanting to be a police officer if I didn't Like helping people.
The bit of a chip I have on my shoulder comes from working in security.
The Canadian forces is something I want as a change in career.
Think what you may. I am still going to serve my country and keep pushing through.
thanks for the advice and opinion.

Ducam said:
The bit of a chip I have on my shoulder comes from working in security.

My best advice to you; force yourself to leave it behind BEFORE you walk thru the Green Doors.  You might not think they (instructors) will see it but...they do, they have and they will.  They did when I did my BMQ 24 summers ago.  I did when I was staff (at CFLRS or other schools). 

It will come out when you are tired, pissed off, whatever.  It just will.  So lose it now.  Yesterday.  If you get thru BMQ with it hidden and make it to Battle School and then it comes out...well. 

That's my best advice for you this close to entering the Green Doors at The Mega.  Motivated and humble.

Thank you for the tip. I can't wait to take orders and get yelled at. I will grin and ask for more if it means leaving private security behind!

Not literally grin or smile though.....I know that will just get me in trouble.

How do you learn more then the basics of unarmed combat? That and a pair of para wings is what im looking into getting.

If you want to be a cop, be a cop. If you want to be a soldier, be a soldier. Don't be a soldier who wants to be a cop - you'll be disappointed at the outcome.

Infantryman2b said:
How do you learn more then the basics of unarmed combat? That and a pair of para wings is what im looking into getting.

Get in the Infantry, do your BMQ and initial occupation trg, work hard on your first posting and tell your CofC you want to take Unarmed Combat and Basic Para.

Continue to work hard while you wait to see if you get the courses.

Pretty simple in concept, but those 2 sentences represent A LOT of work and 'nads.

:2c:

Infantryman2b said:

Why don't we concentrate on

1. Getting in first

2. Getting  trhough BMQ

The ninja crap can wait until after you manage those two  things.

I'd also worry more about getting a pair of boots than a pair of para wings.. boots are in rough supply these days.

Hi guys. I'm looking for some advice on what to do with my life, kind of like counselling i think, so thank you in advance for your time and your help towards my decision.

If you don't want to read my personal background, skip this next paragraph. I wrote it to maybe get some extra infos and opinions. I appreciate if you read & provide.

I do not know who or where else to talk to about this as I do not know a lot of people. My family and I immigrated here 5 years ago so we are still waiting for citizenship news so I can join the forces. I have been wanting to join the military ever since i started thinking about what I should do with my life. Most of the careers or jobs are interesting, but of course I'm choosing what I would want. At first my choice was to be a civilian medical technician because i wanted to learn how to keep someone alive in critical times. But now I am looking at becoming a cop. These choices appeal to me the most because i will be helping and doing something to make better and also at the same time be active. Also because i feel like I will learn a lot in life if I was one of them. My dad was an investigator for the police at a very large city. He also served the military for a few years. I really enjoy his stories. I feel like i have grown with the teachings from a cop's mind because my family is very careful, and law-abiding. Sometimes i dislike it and say he is too paranoid. I feel like I as well have grown frequently anxious. But I also feel like it taught him good lessons and that this is the way to go for protecting the family.

Anyway, I have read a lot from here that says, one should just join the civilian work force instead of joining the military if he/she is planning on leaving the forces anyway. I think I understand why, and I'm a little disappointed because i just found out here that the military police is not credited to civilian, meaning one would have to start from the bottom in the civ forces. Can someone actually confirm this and explain why? I always thought that the experience from the military would always be good for your career, mainly becuase of deployment. It's why i was thinking of enlisting as a medical technician. But I also read from some people suggesting that he/she should just join the civilian if planning on leaving anyway. Even so, I still want to join the military because I want the experience and what it will teach me and learn survivability. Maybe travel around the world, be in a helicopter, and help people and aid in tragedies.

I'm just wondering if this is a good plan. Join the military and do something, maybe as MP. After my years of service, get back to civilian life and join the police. Right now I live in a decent size city, but I'm wanting to police in a very large city as well, for example Toronto. What are the chances I can do that after serving in the forces? If someone can maybe differentiate to me big city vs small city police, that would be awesome. I feel like police in a large city can do more than in small cities.

I'm also not certain of this plan, maybe after serving for some time in the forces I change my mind or excel. I look at the elite forces of the military and it is very(x2) inspiring.

Please help me, thanks!!

I can confirm that in recent months at least one experienced regular force MP has had to start from scratch when joining the RCMP and go through their six months of training. That is only a single anecdotal data point- seek more info from others.

justin9 said:
Right now I live in a decent size city, but I'm wanting to police in a very large city as well, for example Toronto. What are the chances I can do that after serving in the forces?

Q: I am a current/past member of the military. Do I get special consideration?

A: Although we appreciate your service in the military, all current and past members of any military service will proceed through the Constable Selection System like any other candidate.
http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/careers/uni_faq.php#q28

If you were MP, for sure it's easier for you to join law enforcement. Yes, you have to start from the bottom, because you will deal with different situation. Especially, they need to brainwash you first.

uzi said:
If you were MP, for sure it's easier for you to join law enforcement. Yes, you have to start from the bottom, because you will deal with different situation. Especially, they need to brainwash you first.

Interesting.  Other LEOs have said the opposite......Well .... no real leg up.

This is a bit dated ( 2005 ) but may still have some relevance.

Police and Military Experience 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/32733.0

Back