• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF 100 : Leave Pass [Merged]

Eye In The Sky said:
My unit, MM leave passes are required.  If it doesn't have the watermark on it, you'll likely be told to go do it in MM like our SOPs state.  it's done up there, you "add" the leave to your Outook calendar, print it off and take it to be ops-checked.

Different strokes for different folks...

Interesting, since the sister sqn in the west coast doesn't seem to use MM for anything I've seen.

Monitor Mass leave passes are required at my unit as well, but that is not for the clerks, its to ensure that leave is being entered into Monitor Mass so that parade states / manning / etc can be forecasted.

So the process is (for us anyway), member goes onto Monitor Mass to create leave pass (now it is being tracked in Monitor Mass), member submits for approval, after its approved, it goes to the clerk who enters it into HRMS, and then back to the member. I suspect your unit is doing something similar EITS, as HRMS is what is used to actually conduct leave audits and such.

Monitor Mass is a great in many ways, a few shortcomings in others, but overall I'm happy to have it... the problem is getting other people to buy in and save themselves and everyone else a lot of work.

Yup that's pretty much it;  my MM leave pass goes to (1) my crew commander for 'recommended' signature (2) Ops to make sure I am not on anything during that time; if I am not, Ops will stamp it 'Ops-checked' (3) it then goes to the AFC for 'approved' signature (4) the Sqn OR then gets it to do their tracking and (5) back to the member.

There is a fairly entertaining AND accurate large print flow chart in the crew room area for our leave passes.  ^-^

Why go to ops?  Your Crew Commander should have his/her finger on the pulse.  There really shouldn't be anything your CC doesn't know about.  Seems like a
long process.

As for the west coast sqn, there is lots they don't do...  Which bothers me, because I don't remember it being so off. 

I find MM to be a pain in the *** and I find UL tools to be a pain in the ***.  It takes longer to do everything now, 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, it all adds up. 

Don't forget that everything has to go through the Department of Redundant Redundancies for vetting.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
Why go to ops?  Your Crew Commander should have his/her finger on the pulse.  There really shouldn't be anything your CC doesn't know about.  Seems like a
long process.

It is.  Not sure why the skipper 'rec' sig isn't enough...I just woke here.  lol

I find MM to be a pain in the *** and I find UL tools to be a pain in the ***.  It takes longer to do everything now, 10 minutes here, 5 minutes there, it all adds up.

Computer programs have increased our efficiency and reduced wasted time in admin though... ^-^

Eye In The Sky said:
Computer programs have increased our efficiency and reduced wasted time in admin though... ^-^

:eek:

Now that was funny.

What is the purpose of a leave pass? According to the ref:

"When members are authorized leave, they shall be issued a Canadian Forces Leave Request/Authorization, CF 100, completed and administered in accordance with MHRRP, Chapter 16 - Leave."

What this tells me is that it is not the leave pass that grants leave. A member is granted leave by their CoC, and the leave pass is just an administrative tool used to track their leave.

What I'd like to do is receive clarity in an attempt to dispel numerous myths, and to that end my question is this:

What happens if someone is injured while away from work without a signed leave pass? My gut feeling is "absolutely nothing". Everyone I talk to from Cdrs/LCols on down says the same thing: "it's to cover you in case you get injured".

I call BS. Where does it say this anywhere? As far as I am concerned, a member is on leave as soon as he is informed by his chain of command that he is on leave. Is this not correct? If a young Private is told by his Warrant "go home for the rest of the week, the CO has granted you compassionate leave, we'll process the paperwork on your behalf", but in reality the CO never did get around to signing the leave pass, is the member AWOL? is the member "covered" if injured while away "on leave" without a leave pass. *I* don't think so, but the story I'm hearing (again) is that "well, he must have a leave pass! what would happen if he was injured during the first couple days when he didn't have a leave pass?!" Again, my answer would be absolutely nothing. The leave pass is not the authorization/granting of leave, it is simply a tracking tool.

Thoughts? Does anyone have any real insight as to why people keep saying "it's in case they get injured" and whether that statement has any actual merit?

Finally, I have one other similar clarification. You are never required to have a leave pass while away on a weekend, unless travelling internationally. What if you are travelling internationally, with acknowledgment and permission from your chain of command (including the CO), but a leave pass was never generated, what are the repercussion? Is it just the CO and CoC that are in the wrong for not doing the required paperwork as per the ref, or is there actually a risk to the member travelling should something happen while travelling?

(in all of these scenarios, lets keep it simply and assume this member is not part of a deployable unit that needs to be in area and/or on call).

What about during the work week?

Awesome post and questions.

I too think the injured on leave without a leave pass bs is bs but it seems brainwashed into everyone.

The same with needing a leave pass for weekend leave.  People get told they need a leave pass to leave the local area but the local area isn't defined.

I have never been at a unit where they demanded a leave pass for annual leave, but have been at ones where a physical leave pass was only required when going internationally, as long as it is entered in the system correctly.  I don't really buy the injury part either, as I find it hard to believe that if one was unconscious in the hospital, that they are going to be reading the fine print on the back of a leave pass before determining what to do.....

On the other hand, I have been asked more than once at the US border to produce my orders, and when told that I was on leave, they asked for my leave pass to prove I wasn't AWOL.  For this reason I always carry a physical leave pass in the US (or anywhere internationally).

Harrigan

Lumber said:
What happens if someone is injured while away from work without a signed leave pass? My gut feeling is "absolutely nothing". Everyone I talk to from Cdrs/LCols on down says the same thing: "it's to cover you in case you get injured".

I think this is a good point. Is being on leave a military duty? And therefore entitles us to additional health/VAC coverage?

Or is it just for the narrow case that we’re on leave and we get recalled from leave (duty begins with the recall)? And we also need to be injured during this recall to receive any benefits?

Does driving to and from work also count as duty and entitle me to additional injury benefits (as if I was recalled from leave)?

I’m trying to reconcile these leave pass rumours with the recent case about the Capt and her non-duty during work hours car accident.

I hear a lot of people suggesting that we should have a blank leave pass on file. It always sounded like baloney to me.

*Cover you in case you are injured".  If I am on leave, I still receive the same medical care/spectrum of care from the CAF regardless of my TOS (Cl A/B/C, or Reg Force).  I don't pay for my treatment if I injure my back at home on the weekend, or dancing with a 75lb sonobuoy in the back of the aircraft during ASW flying.

DVA - if you were on leave when the injury happened, you were obviously not on duty.

I think this is an urban legend that won't die because people continue to 'pass it on because they heard it', much like "DVA won't cover you if you aren't wearing issued kit".  I have a disability pension from DVA, never once in the process did anyone ask me if I was wearing issued boots and gloves, yet about a month ago this "DVA won't cover you..." malarkey at an ALSE briefing when boots were being discussed.

I had short-fuse things come up in the past, emailed my CofC for auth to be away from work for 1-2 days, and got an email back stating "leave approved, submit the leave pass for leave tracking when you get back".  The email was the record of my leave approval at that point.

Next time you get told "it covers you in case you get injured", ask "covers with for what, and with who?".  I, for one, would be curious to hear what they actually say.

Lumber said:
What is the purpose of a leave pass? According to the ref:

"When members are authorized leave, they shall be issued a Canadian Forces Leave Request/Authorization, CF 100, completed and administered in accordance with MHRRP, Chapter 16 - Leave."

What this tells me is that it is not the leave pass that grants leave. A member is granted leave by their CoC, and the leave pass is just an administrative tool used to track their leave.

Correct. It the administrative component.

Lumber said:
What I'd like to do is receive clarity in an attempt to dispel numerous myths, and to that end my question is this:

I call BS. Where does it say this anywhere? As far as I am concerned, a member is on leave as soon as he is informed by his chain of command that he is on leave. Is this not correct? If a young Private is told by his Warrant "go home for the rest of the week, the CO has granted you compassionate leave, we'll process the paperwork on your behalf", but in reality the CO never did get around to signing the leave pass, is the member AWOL? is the member "covered" if injured while away "on leave" without a leave pass. *I* don't think so, but the story I'm hearing (again) is that "well, he must have a leave pass! what would happen if he was injured during the first couple days when he didn't have a leave pass?!" Again, my answer would be absolutely nothing. The leave pass is not the authorization/granting of leave, it is simply a tracking tool.

Thoughts? Does anyone have any real insight as to why people keep saying "it's in case they get injured" and whether that statement has any actual merit?

I've heard this same thing for 40 years, and I've yet to see anything bad happen to anyone. The only time you might not be "covered" is where there is no service nexus to your injury... and then we're talking pension. The other instance would be where one engages in inherently dangerous pursuits without authorization; parachuting for example, and gets injured. Again, the implications are towards pensionability, not regular care.

Lumber said:
Finally, I have one other similar clarification. You are never required to have a leave pass while away on a weekend, unless travelling internationally. What if you are travelling internationally, with acknowledgment and permission from your chain of command (including the CO), but a leave pass was never generated, what are the repercussion? Is it just the CO and CoC that are in the wrong for not doing the required paperwork as per the ref, or is there actually a risk to the member travelling should something happen while travelling?

(in all of these scenarios, lets keep it simply and assume this member is not part of a deployable unit that needs to be in area and/or on call).

If the member has written authority to be away, and traveling, then that should suffice. Notwithstanding, a leave pass should still be prepared, even if to describe the type of leave as "weekend". (Leave Policy Manual 2.1.04)

Lumber said:
What about during the work week?

That's easy. According to the Leave Manual, leave is reckoned in working days. (Leave Policy Manual 2.2.01)

What I've seen at some units is that shift workers would count their first watch off as scheduled, including the next period of days off. The start of the next watch would begin to be counted in standard weekday/weekend format. IE: if you work 4 on/4 off, and take two watches off, your leave pass might look like "Normal time off: 8, Annual: 8, Weekend: 2" depending on which day of the week your second watch started.

Harrigan said:
I have never been at a unit where they demanded a leave pass for annual leave, but have been at ones where a physical leave pass was only required when going internationally, as long as it is entered in the system correctly.  I don't really buy the injury part either, as I find it hard to believe that if one was unconscious in the hospital, that they are going to be reading the fine print on the back of a leave pass before determining what to do.....

On the other hand, I have been asked more than once at the US border to produce my orders, and when told that I was on leave, they asked for my leave pass to prove I wasn't AWOL.  For this reason I always carry a physical leave pass in the US (or anywhere internationally).

Harrigan

How do they ensure that your leave is correctly accounted for?

When members are authorized leave, they shall be issued a Canadian Forces Leave Request/Authorization, CF 100, completed and administered in accordance with MHRRP, Chapter 16 - Leave. (Leave Policy Manual 2.1.03)

Note the imperative word shall. Somebody is not administering leave correctly.

Throwaway987 said:
Or is it just for the narrow case that we’re on leave and we get recalled from leave (duty begins with the recall)? And we also need to be injured during this recall to receive any benefits?

Does driving to and from work also count as duty and entitle me to additional injury benefits (as if I was recalled from leave)?

If you are on leave and then recalled, you are on duty IAW the QR & O once you are recalled.

QR & O, Vol 1, Chap 16

Section 1 - General

16.01 - WITHHOLDING OF AND RECALL FROM LEAVE

(1) Leave may be withheld from an officer or non-commissioned member only when there is a military requirement to do so.

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member on leave may be recalled to duty only:
a.  because of imperative military requirements; and
b.  when the member's commanding officer personally directs the member's return to duty.

(3) An officer or non-commissioned member recalled to duty under paragraph (2) ceases to be on leave and is on duty during the period of the journey from the place from which he is recalled to his place of duty and during the period of the return journey if he resumes leave immediately after completion of the duty for which he was recalled.

(M) [2 September 2010 – (2)(b)]

I’m trying to reconcile these leave pass rumours with the recent case about the Capt and her non-duty during work hours car accident.

I don't remember there being information around that case that the injury happened during her units normal, posted duty hours.  If people are 'driving their kids to work' during normal duty hours, that suggests they are then, also, absent without leave.

I hear a lot of people suggesting that we should leave a blank leave pass filled out. It always sounded like baloney to me.

This a banned practice at my Sqn;  all leave passes are submitted electronically by the member using our PKI signatures.

The only thing an authorized leave pass "covers you" for, with regard to any kinds of benefits, is it makes it easier to claim compensation should you be recalled from leave or your leave is cancelled and you have made financial commitments.  In this day and age there is zero requirement to have a hard copy leave pass, even to prove you attended some place for LTA purposes, or to "prove" you're on leave in order to cross a border; I've been in since 1985 and not once have I ever been asked to produce a leave pass for any reason, even when accessing medical or dental services at another base while on leave.

The biggest problem is we are still stuck in the 1960s when it comes to personnel management policies and procedures. Even though we allow leave passes to be signed electronically, the Orderly Room where I am at insists on printing off two copies of every leave pass, stamping them with "Entered into HRMS" and sending a copy to me snail mail with the other hard copy going into my leave jacket, after they annotate the leave taken on the leave jacket proper. Then, at the end of the leave year, they send me yet another set of hard copies, along with a hard copy of the summary of my leave recorded in Guardian, in order for me to verify they are correct.

I remember attending one of the initial briefings on Guardian and one of the selling points was being able to use the system to move from a paper based leave management system to a purely electronic system, like the PS has. Not sure what happened with that, no doubt someone freaked out about the hypothetical situations where they thought a hard copy leave pass might be required and someone wouldn't have one anymore.

I don't recall ever being given a leave pass for any leave period, but I do remember on my first leave during pre-deployment being given a form that we had to have signed off by someone (such as a municipal police officer or RCMP) to prove we had gone home. It was the only time I'd had that happen.

CanadianTire said:
I don't recall ever being given a leave pass for any leave period, but I do remember on my first leave during pre-deployment being given a form that we had to have signed off by someone (such as a municipal police officer or RCMP) to prove we had gone home. It was the only time I'd had that happen.

That's for Leave Travel Assistance.  I haven't used in a while (parents come to see me) but when I did, I went to the local cop shop to get the CF100 stamped.

ModlrMike said:
What I've seen at some units is that shift workers would count their first watch off as scheduled, including the next period of days off. The start of the next watch would begin to be counted in standard weekday/weekend format. IE: if you work 4 on/4 off, and take two watches off, your leave pass might look like "Normal time off: 8, Annual: 8, Weekend: 2" depending on which day of the week your second watch started.

If you're on shift work (or even not truly shift work like most aircrew), you don't get "weekend" days but "shift duty off" or SDO days.  It's pedantic, but anyways...

Dimsum said:
If you're on shift work (or even not truly shift work like most aircrew), you don't get "weekend" days but "shift duty off" or SDO days.  It's pedantic, but anyways...
There is no such thing as "SDO" or "CTO" or any of the other names people came up with:

2.2.01 Reckoning Time

Except in the case of short leave, leave begins at 0000 hours on the commencement date and ends at 2400 hours on the last day of leave.

Weekends, designated holidays and other holidays (listed in Annex A of this chapter), or in the case of shift workers, their scheduled non-working days (designated as weekends on the CF100); shall not be charged against any leave that is granted in working days although such days will normally form part of the leave period.

Back