• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Slang

Out here we apparently call Rubber Stupids "Rubber Clumsies"....

EDIT - and hey, IMP wasn't mine, but thanks for the quote! :)

As for exercise names, when I was on Exercise Chopin (yep, that's what they called BANDCON in '88), one wit refered to it as OPERATION CANINE COITUS...which I think you can all translate for yourself...

We have a regimental award called the Clan of the Gallant Canadians; the upper three grades are worn around the neck.  

chieftain.gif

It is referred to as "The Iron Beaver" because of its resemblance to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross and the manner of wear

kc.gif

Other Third Reich themed nicknames

LUFTWAFFE - LFWA (Land Force Western Area)
NAZI PARADE - when the Western Area Training Centre  would parade, it invariably got called WATC (Watt-See) parade.  "Gee Sergeant, what do they call the Northern Area Training Centre?"  "Shut up, Corporal Moreau."

Didn't see theses

CFSME - Can't F*cking Stand My Employer
RETS - Regret Every Time Sent

MRE - Meals Rejected by the Enemy or Ethopians

Some names for the MLVW...

"MLicopter" - when your regt is so poor that you do "Chalk" drills on an ML
UAPC - "Un-Armoured" Personnel Carrier
Baggage Terminal - when travel order is left on an ML

Down Range = Drinking

"I put a 26oz of Crown Royal down range and then I went to the bar."

At the bar one might then:

"Drink for effect."

another one for the ML - heli-deuce...

and I totally forgot one -- (referring to meat heads) the price of meat has gone up so now we just call 'em bone heads.

Even though this thread hasn't been "hot" for a while, I couldn't resist.

Another name for the MILCOT...........drumroll please...

MILVERADO!  :rofl:

Army slang

I write a column on English grammar and usage called Finer Points for Quill and Quire, the trade magazine of the Canadian book industry. In my next column, which will come out in February, I want to do a piece on army slang. Canadians in general aren’t great creators of slang, but the armed forces are an exception. When I read people on Army.ca talking about zipperheads, gun plumbers and the shacks, I am fascinated.

How about it, readers of Army.ca, do you have any interesting pieces of army or military slang? I’d welcome them for my column.  Post them here or send me an e-mail.

All the best,

Wordsmith

http://army.ca/words/

This should keep you busy for days...........when, and if, you need more you can PM a Mod to open up.

Sorry Bruce, I neglected to mention that Wordsmith contacted me asking if he could post. I think he's looking for more colloquialisms than we have in the terms database. So not just the fact that "shacks" means "barracks" but maybe a bit of a dig into why and what nuances there are around the term and it's usage. (E.G. that G-pig originated from GPMG and refers to a specific type of machine gun... or at least did in my day. ;))

I can think of a few but the mods might beat me about the head if I posted drop me a PM if you need anything really colourful

Thumper....M79 Grenade Launcher (USMC slang)

"Don't mean nothing"....it's cool

GAP said:
Thumper....M79 Grenade Launcher (USMC slang)

"Don't mean nothing"....it's cool

Thumper = pipe, closed one end, with handles on two or four sides, used to pound in metal pickets.

Thumperhead = Engineer, usually the guy who has the Thumper.

after reviewing a few pages...wordsmith now has enough slang to write a book on it  :)

This has been amazing to read. I can't thank you all enough. I am amazed at how inventive the slang is, and how much of it there is. It is very impressive -- and perhaps even a little frightening. I almost certainly have enough for a column or a book, enough even for a multi-volume encyclopedia. But please, don't feel you have to stop. I am happy to keep reading in silent awe.

Now, any theories on why the army produces so much slang?

considering the subject is "forces" slang, have to add some Navy to it too: http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/server/show/conWebDoc.1257

wordsmith said:
Now, any theories on why the army produces so much slang?

A multitude of reasons really:

To aid in people's memories while teaching, so that they don't have long titles to remember, they can remember short abbreviations.  

The abbreviated terms also provide a quick and accurate method of transmitting information and data while in stressful situations, ie. in combat.  

Signage can be reduced in size in some instances.  

Some terms are developed in a sense of 'jocular competitiveness' between Units or Trades.

Some terms have historical or traditional roots.

Some terms were actually created as a method of 'veiled speech' to communicate sensitive information over radio, telephone and other voice transmissions/devices.   The use of Arm Indicators, and such would be an example there.  

Back