• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Slang

Kat Stevens said:
.......... would wear overalls with WOGS (Worker On Government Services) stencilled on the back. 

Brings to mind the origins of SHIT (Ship High In Transit) from the days long gone by when Maneure was transported by ship to be used as fertilizer in other locals.  If it was stored low and came in contact with water in the bilges, it produced methane gas.  Sailors doing their rounds of the hold with candles or lanterns often created explosions which sent the ship to the bottom of the sea.  Thus came about the procedure of keeping the shipment high and dry.........and the abbreviation for Ship High in Transit.    ;D

We have also heard of the Legal references in the old British Courts: For Use of Carnal Knowledge.  George Carlin did quite a spiele on it.

BOHICA = Bend Over Hear It Comes Again
COCK = Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge
SHIT = Super High Intensity Training

;D

Fide et Fortitudine said:
Sorry to sound like a newbie, but I have never heard (and don't know) what WoG means. What is it?

It stands for Waste of a Grunt, or Without Guns

WOG - WithOut Guts. I am sure there are other renditions of it, I have heard people define it as "WithOut Gun"

As for smufti, the slang term is still alive and well, no idea on the origin though.

Fide et Fortitudine said:
Sorry to sound like a newbie, but I have never heard (and don't know) what WoG means. What is it?

huh.gif

hmm.gif

I think that was covered on page one.

Run away gun said:
WOG - WithOut Guts. I am sure there are other renditions of it, I have heard people define it as "WithOut Gun"

As for smufti, the slang term is still alive and well, no idea on the origin though.

smufti
Military slang for the native inhabitants of the middle east. Pronounced Sm-uff-ti or Sm-ouf-ti

Yeah, when I was over in 'the sandpit' the base employed a few smufti's to do all the cleaning and maintainence.

Edited by CSA 105 to remove questionable terms.

Tit for tat. For every name I've been called since I've been in I've said my fair share of other ones. In the end we all wear green and we all deal with a lot of the same crap forces wide. Everyone has their place, be it REMF, FNG, WOG, Pongo, Zipperhead, Infantard, Bin rat, Paper pusher, grease monkey, Sig Pig, etc.

Straying from the acronyms a bit, but it's funny to see how some of the insults we use in the military are recognized by those of other countries as well;

Dog*fornicator*, Thud, Bag

Here's one for you  - 'Squeazer'

An Aussie Army term for a sneaky lowlife loser, thudfuck etc. However, can be ued in jest too - "Ah Bloggins - you dirty ole squeazer - how ya going?"

I have used 'squeazer' many times, ha!

Oh yes, what about "F ile U under C aptured or K illed"  ;D

Or C anadian U nited N ations Transport - these were white with blue writing with the capitals in red, from Op Harmony c.92-93. Had one of these sweatshirts, my now Ex wife hated it  :eek: hence it did not survive my marriage, hell my marriage didn't survive either.

Many terms CF wide are also Commonwealth wide, see them used here often.

OWDU

Has anyone heard the phrase " you don't want to piss on his parade" or is it "parade square"?

Thanks....

parades are not restricted to the parade square

And don't piss on my parade :warstory:

STUPID

S - someone
T - that
U - undertakes
P - Pointless
I - Idiotic
D Decisions

S - Some
T - twit
U - uselessly
P - passing
I - irrelevant
D - data

S - Someone
T - thinking
U - unacceptable
P - performance
I - is
D - desirable

And some slang terms from the Air side:

airedale n: A naval term for a member of the aviation community.

crabfat n: A naval term for anybody connected with aviation, referring to the application of crabfat as a preservative of canvas in early aircraft.

fighter cop n: An airweapons controller.
[From Fighter Control and Operator].

fishhead n: A member of the navy

pigeon n: A member of the air force.

trash hauler n: A transport aircraft aircrewman.

Back