• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Any new tricks for an old Dog ?

Crusty Old Timer

Inactive
Reaction score
As the title indicates, I'm open to any ideas for this old dog...namely me.

Quick bio.  I've been lurking here for about 4-5 months, and finally feel I have something worthy to post.  I've read almost every thread that applies to new recruits, and explored the search function tirelessly.  I am grateful that I found this website.  Thanks to those that run it, and contribute to it.

I'm a 43 year old male, that did a short stint in the army reserves 25 years ago.  Got out to pursue a career as a commercial fisherman.  Lots of water under the bridge since then.  Fast forward 20 + years to now.  I'm currently going through the entry process to enter the local artillery reserve unit in my town.  Excellent unit and first class recruiter.  I didn't think they'd take a 43 year old, old timer seriously.  However, the wheels are turning efficiently.

I submitted all my paperwork in June of this year, and all of my references have been contacted by back check.  After much persistence, I was finally able to book a testing date at our local armoury for the aptitude, medical and interview for the end of November.  Providing I pass those requirements, the physical test is then scheduled for 2 days following.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.  I realize todays army is a young man's game, but I do feel pretty fit and able at 43.  With 5 weeks until my physical, I am currently surpassing the required standards for my age, and am working daily at improving on that.  I run every other day, mainly cross country, as I live in a rural and hilly area and currently do the 2.4 in 12 minutes.  On every 2nd day I work through the 100 push-up/200 situp and 200 squat program.

I am open to any other suggestions from you on what else I can do to make myself a viable candidate for the Canadian Armed Forces Reseves.

Thank you for any positive input you feel worthy.

I may be an old dog, but I can still hunt.

Good for you for applying. The CF welcomes anyone, regardless of age. In fact, on my BMQ/BMQ-L courses the oldest person was in his 50s, and he did quite well. As long as you keep a positive attitude and do your best, you'll be fine. It sounds like you're in good shape, so it shouldn't be a problem for you physically. Just remember to work as a team, and stick it out to the end.

Best of luck to you!

Good luck on your upcoming tests and welcome back to the CF COT.

I am acquainted with a few commercial fisherman.

From what I know of them, your experience will hold you in good stead.  They are, for the most part, in good physical shape.  They are used to working as a team in harsh conditions.  They are used to reacting quickly to changing situations.  They are used to accepting and submitting to established authority (within their "team", at least.  Disagreements with the local constabulary are another matter), and are capable of taking charge if the situation requires it.

Yup - sounds like soldier material to me.

Best of luck to you.

I will be fifty in November and am being placed on the merit list and hope to get the call within the next couple of weeks.  I was reg force from December 1978 to January 1983 (Cook)

Started my application in April 2009,  CFAT, interview, medical, and Enhanced Reliability Check are all completed  Canadian Forces Recruiting Group HQ has granted a waiver on my release. My file is now with station one at CFRC Toronto for merit listing and job offer.

One thing you are really going to have to suck up, and I know it sounds silly now, is having people half your age dumping on you from great heights during training.  You've got a bunch of years of experience making your own decisions hardwired into your head now.  I remember when my troop commander, at least 15 years younger than me, called me "son".  My out loud guffaw was not well received.  ;D

Thank you for the encouragement and suggestions.  I really appreciate the tip to suck it up when getting ragged on by younger superiors.  I don't hold grudges, and only very rarely get angry.  I will try to remember that anything thrown at me by my superiors is ultimately intended to make me a better soldier.

A positive attitude has helped me through more than a couple tight spots along life's journey.  I trust it will assist in seeing me through the military process, also.

Just completed the aptitude test, the interview and the medical tests today.  I am scheduled for the PT test next week.  The medical went well, as I was told I would be recommended for enrollment based on my health, but being over 40, I need to have some blood tests/work done.

The interview with the Lieutenant was a bit of an eye-opener.  All I can say to anyone considering getting in, be completely honest.  He asked alot of questions about decisions I'd made in life over 25 years ago, and I told him the truth.  If the answers come back to bite me in the arse and prevent me from getting in, well, that's the way it goes. 

The aptitude test was both easier and harder than I expected.  I didn't finish the spatial test, and found it really gave me a headache.  The math and english components I feel I did quite  well on.

I am looking forward to continuing with the process.  I hope for continued success.

Back