• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All About RESO (merged)

• Thread starter rolandstrong
  • Start date
untouchables said:
And what is the availability of RESO? I heard that positions vary by unit or something. BTW i'm in the Toronto Area. Any insight on that?
Positions vary by unit (number of vacancies depending on attrition rates, unit size, etc).  Contact your local CFRC for more information.  Recruiting might be a little bit slow right now due to PRes summer employment but will pick up again in Sept. 

CFRC Toronto
4900 Yonge Street, Suite 100
Toronto ON  M2N 6A4
phone: 416-635-4490
fax: 416-635-2787

untouchables said:
Hello everyone,

I have a little more than a year to go into university or college. And I've caught attention to the RESO from the DND website while searching up units and related matters on the official DND and Forces websites.

After searching around 2 hours of posts using search function to the request of administrators.... for they hate repeated posts...
I only found outdated and side topics from half a decade ago.

So my question is, is the RESO program still valid or present within the service? Thinking it as a viable option with other Post Secondary destinations, ROTP too.
Any personal stories that anyone would like to share? And is it possible to transfer to RESO after applying or completing Reserve BMQ?

BTW background story: Applying for Reserves at the moment, took CFAT a few months ago, good outlook says Mr.Military Career Counselor...asked him if I qualify for officers, he said yup. Then told me the story about ROTP and uh... transferring from Reserve to Regulars as an option but that's like miles ahead.

Also read a U.S. commentator on this website saying that: CF RESO officer commands "shadow units" and "paper companies" which supposedly mean units of unmanned capacity. Doesn't really seem realistic though for he's American commenting on another nation's military. Well I don't know, I'm just plotting ahead.

Thank you in advance, if your want more detail please feel free to ask.

FWIW, if you do decide to go RESO, please make sure that you're in tip top physical condition. 10 miles into a 20 mile march (or whatever)  is no time to discover that you should have put down the Wii and picked up a ruck when you had the chance. There are alot of sites on this forum that talk about the fitness requirements for Officers, so I suggest you dig around for them to get some idea of what's required.

Sapper Speedo said:
Does anyone know the length ot time permitted under RESO to complete a degree?

Is there even a timeframe in place? 

I did ROUTP just as they changed the program to RESO and do not recall there being any timeframe to complete a Degree. 
I completed my RESO IV prior to receiving my Degree. 

As a current RESO I have been told that you must have at least 2 years of a degree to finish (which smacks of being wrong to me seeing as some of my fellow course mates already had their degrees) It might mean that you can only have two years left of your degree. The CFRC I was at was somewhat obscure on those points, as I got in I wasn't complaining much either heh.

I'm at first year BA Criminology Major student, applied for Military Police RESO in the Vancouver/Lower Mainland area;

I was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me as to what the program details as I haven't been able to actually find anything on it (even CFRC Vancouver was unable to get me info on RESO; however one of the SGTs had recommended it to me).

I'm currently applying to HMCS CABOT as a MARS Officer (sub-component transfer pending recruiting process). I searched around the forums and managed to piece together the following information about RESO MARS for promotion criteria:

NCdt: Enrolled
A/Slt: BMOQ, NETPO, MARS 3, BWK and OOD
Slt: MARS 4, MWS BWK, OOD
Lt(N): MWBC, BOC 1 & 2
LCdr - COPS 1 & 2 (maybe also JRCSC)
Cdr - Command of KINGSTON Class, SMW

Most of this is coming from this thread: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/80719.25.html

A couple of quick questions:
Is the above information current?
What do the following abbreviations mean? MWBC; BOC; SMW
Is there a difference between the BWK mentioned for A/SLt and the MWS BWK for SLt? If no, which rank does it belong in?
Which rank does OOD belong in?
How does one go about getting the qualifications other than BMOQ, NETPO and MARS III and IV? Are they done at the unit, at NOTC/CFFS(Q) or incorporated into the mentioned core training?
Does anyone have a copy of the NAVRESORD that pertains to this that they could post?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

JMesh said:
I'm currently applying to HMCS CABOT as a MARS Officer (sub-component transfer pending recruiting process). I searched around the forums and managed to piece together the following information about RESO MARS for promotion criteria:

NCdt: Enrolled
A/Slt: BMOQ, NETPO, MARS 3, BWK and OOD
Slt: MARS 4, MWS BWK, OOD
Lt(N): MWBC, BOC 1 & 2
LCdr - COPS 1 & 2 (maybe also JRCSC)
Cdr - Command of KINGSTON Class, SMW

Most of this is coming from this thread: http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/80719.25.html

A couple of quick questions:
Is the above information current?
What do the following abbreviations mean? MWBC; BOC; SMW
Is there a difference between the BWK mentioned for A/SLt and the MWS BWK for SLt? If no, which rank does it belong in?
Which rank does OOD belong in?
How does one go about getting the qualifications other than BMOQ, NETPO and MARS III and IV? Are they done at the unit, at NOTC/CFFS(Q) or incorporated into the mentioned core training?
Does anyone have a copy of the NAVRESORD that pertains to this that they could post?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

*disclaimer:  This info is pre-2007.  Take it as you will.*

BOC = Basic Operations Course, kind of a primer on how to run things as a junior officer (when I took it, it was geared towards people who hadn't sailed a lot, but we were all DeckOs onboard ships.)  I suspect it's still similar. 

SMW, I suspect, is Standard Mine Warfare. 

Unless they have changed things drastically, MWS BWK and OOD is req'd for SLt.  A/SLt wouldn't be required to have Charge (except for OOD, possibly, if they were just attached to a ship for experience.) 

OOD will depend on NAVRES unit v. ship.  At a unit, OOD could be an NCdt with some training for locking up, etc.  On an MCDV, as mentioned before, it's usually a requirement to be promoted SLt

For the courses LT(N) and above, they will be either in CF Maritime Warfare Centre (for MWBC), CFFSQ for most of the others, or onboard ship for the practical portions of COPS. 

- My slightly outdated  :2c:

Thank you very much! The information you sent was very helpful.

For anyone reading this, here are the current criteria for promotion IAW MARCORD 9-1:

NCdt: Enrolment
A/SLt: BMOQ, NETPO, MARS III
SLt: MARS IV (with BWK), OOD
Lt(N): 3 years in rank
LCdr: NROC, MWBC, 4 years in rank
Cdr: JRCSC, 3 years in rank
Capt(N): Command of NRD, 3 years in rank

If anyone would like the promotion criteria for any officer occupation under any entry plan, send me a PM and I'll let you know. EDIT: As some of the criteria seem have changed in some ways (whether small or not), I won't send out this as I don't want to pass on incorrect information.

With that said, can anyone let me know where one does the qualification for OOD? Does this simply mean serving as an OOD or is it some sort of certification?

JMesh said:
With that said, can anyone let me know where one does the qualification for OOD? Does this simply mean serving as an OOD or is it some sort of certification?
In fact, the Occupation Functional Point for reserve MARS has just been shifted to align to the new Reg F standard, so BWK and OOD are not pre-requisites for promotion to Slt and will typically be completed after promotion. BOC (Basic Operations Course) is also a pre-req for promotion to Lt(N) in addition to 3 years in rank.

To answer your question, OOD is a distinct qualification, and exactly how its awarded has varied. In the reserve world OOD currently involves a package of OJT requirements (academic and practical), a number of practice sessions as 2OOD, passing an OOD fire exercise, and sitting an OOD board.

hamiltongs said:
In fact, the Occupation Functional Point for reserve MARS has just been shifted to align to the new Reg F standard, so BWK and OOD are not pre-requisites for promotion to Slt and will typically be completed after promotion. BOC (Basic Operations Course) is also a pre-req for promotion to Lt(N) in addition to 3 years in rank.

To answer your question, OOD is a distinct qualification, and exactly how its awarded has varied. In the reserve world OOD currently involves a package of OJT requirements (academic and practical), a number of practice sessions as 2OOD, passing an OOD fire exercise, and sitting an OOD board.

RegF OOD qual is the same only it includes CPO2s (woo-hoo!) as well in it's rotation-Nothing like a 46 year old Chief ERA getting relieved by a 21 year-old SLt...(no offence to anyone!) Actually, I had a very 'modified' OJT dealing mainly with ceremonial (given the Eng/DC background I guess) stuff.

hamiltongs said:

Thanks very much. A few questions on your post: Given that ResF MARS has been shifted, is the BOC the same as or equivalent to NROC or are they separate courses? Also, where does BOC, BWK and OOD training/qualification take place? DL, NOTC, CFFS (if so, which one) or at the unit? If they are outside the unit, what is the time commitment for these courses?

Again, thanks to all who have input thus far. It's a huge help.

JMesh said:
Thanks very much. A few questions on your post: Given that ResF MARS has been shifted, is the BOC the same as or equivalent to NROC or are they separate courses? Also, where does BOC, BWK and OOD training/qualification take place? DL, NOTC, CFFS (if so, which one) or at the unit? If they are outside the unit, what is the time commitment for these courses?

BOC is the (lengthened) course that used to be called NROC; it's taught at CFFS(Q) in Quebec City. OOD and BWK training take place on ship for MARS officers; they're not courses, just qualifications that you have to achieve. With a ship that's sailing and doing foreign port visits regularly it typically takes two to four months post-MARS IV to earn them both, but it depends very much on the individual skills and aptitude of the person doing it. I've known some people who earn their BWK straight out of MARS IV; it can take others over a year if they can't go straight to a sailing platform.

hamiltongs said:

Unless this has changed very recently, my understanding is that while a BWK is no longer a pre-req for promotion to SLt, having a shipboard OOD qual is a requirement for promotion to SLt in the Naval Reserves.  In the reg force though, promotion to SLt comes after completion of MARS IV now (without OOD or BWK).

Hi. First time poster. I had a few questions about the Reserve Force. I live in Edmonton.

1. I recently applied online to the RESO (Reserve Entry Scheme Officer) Program. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it. I'm in my second year of university, and I know you're supposed to apply in your first year, but I figured it wouldn't matter because it only takes 2 summers. Will me being in my second year be a problem?

2. How hard is the 2.4 km run? I workout frequently (including some running) but I've never timed myself. The rest of the PT will be a breeze for me, but I'm not sure about the 2.4km.

3. I received a call from a Mater Corporal on Monday asking me to call him back ASAP so he can help me continue with the application process. Unfortunately, the message was received by my useless sister who did not deliver it to me until today (Thursday). I won't be able to call him until tomorrow. Is he going to be pissed? Will it affect my application?

Patrick.R said:
3. I received a call from a Mater Corporal on Monday asking me to call him back ASAP so he can help me continue with the application process. Unfortunately, the message was received by my useless sister who did not deliver it to me until today (Thursday). I won't be able to call him until tomorrow. Is he going to be pissed? Will it affect my application?

Be honest with the MCpl when you call him back.  You don't need to add in about your sister, but a simple "I'm sorry for the delay in calling you, I just received your message."  Keep it simple and then be polite and respectful for the remainder of your conversation with him.  You will find out when you call whether he will be pissed or not, but you should be fine.  As for whether it effects your application, once again, you will find out when you speak to him.  The only way that it should effect it is if there are any timelines for submitting the finalized application.

And be sure to be honest about your current schooling situation, and remember that he is there to answer questions.  I suggest having a written list of what you want to ask so you don't forget anything, and so that you are clear and orderly.

Good luck!

Patrick.R said:
.. The rest of the PT will be a breeze for me....

...We'll see about that.  If you're referring to a fitness test, then sure.  If you're referring to physical training....I don't think 'breeze' is the right word.  Possible? Sure.  Within your normal workout parameters? Maybe.  Breeze?  I doubt it.  It wouldn't be 'training' if it wasn't difficult.

Back