• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All About RESO (merged)

• Thread starter rolandstrong
  • Start date
R

rolandstrong

After stand to this week, I was so pumped to back at the regiment (reserve) after 9 years that I have decided to upgrade my appplication and apply to be an officer. I am keen on this challenge! I was hoping you guys could give my some help.

I work full time, and need to get an idea on how long the training is with the reserves. I heard something about the phases being split up into portions now, but I am unable to find info on this, and recruiting is pretty busy.

Anyone have info on what I would be expected to do for reserve infantry officer training?

Evergreen

I am 2Lt with the 26 SVC BN in North Bay. As far as courses go for us currently in the officer trade it‘s slightly confusing. I did my BMQ (Basic -- these are your your boots and these are your laces-- and these are the stoppages) over a course of 10 weekends. The next course this year was a 7 week CAP course (Phase II) which I was unable to attend because I can‘t get 7 weeks off of my civilian job. The course was not offered in 2 week blocks it was either all or nothing. This is supposed to change next summer (maybe) to two week blocks so people with full-time jobs like myself can get on courses. Drop me a line or a post here if you have anymore questions.

I while back i was set to join the reserves but a couple of weeks before BT i had to go overseas after a death in the family. Now i‘m thinking of starting the process over again but now that i‘m in university, the RESO option‘s open to me. I‘d be joining the Queen‘s York Rangers (armed recce), which brings me to my question......

What is the training like for a reserve officer? Do i go through the same BT as an NCO?

Can‘t say much about the training nowadays. RESO doesn‘t exist as it did a couple of years ago. From what I understand you would do your BMQ with the NCMs and then specialize from there.

Good choice of Regiment, spent 7 years there myself.

Is there someplace, such as a dnd website, you can get a breakdown or outline of the training for ncms and officers?

I think that kind of info would be extremely helpful for us FNGS. Info like when, where, how long, and what courses consist of would be great.

Any ideas? Anyone on this site actually involved in recruiting/personnel selection?

Whats the name of that Unit????....I think I have heard of them.

I like the idea of future officers doing their BMQ with the NCMs. I believe (hope) it will ensure the officer remembers what it was like to be in the ranks. Is that not what they do in the Israeli army?

I also like that idea of officers and NCMs training together. I know one officer was trying to be aloof and smug by telling us about the "officer class" of gentleman and so on.

Excuse me, Sir? As far as I recall, I‘m the only one descended from British Nobility, as opposed to being a farmer from China the way your family is.

Sorry, that comment just really bothered me. I also have a degree but I choose to be an NCM, and it doesn‘t make me any less of a person. I just hope this new training idea will level the playing field a little.

Yes, the FNGS is a highly elite and secret unit, not everyone is accepted, you know??!!
:D
I agree, officers and ncms should train together. I think it‘s a great way to develop team-building and communication skills and to have a personal understanding of the men and women who serve at all levels. It cuts both ways -- ncsm get to understand why officers have absolutely no clue and officers get to understand why ncms get to have all the fun. ;)

Hey Combat_Medic, that guy is an obvious moron. Don‘t let shallow and ignorant guys like that get you down. You might also want to point out the highly dubious practice of inbreeding amongst the nobility -- that might sort him out!

No no, I‘m the one descended from nobility.... I‘d rather not mention the inbreeding thing; it just makes my position weaker.

^^Are you talking about res recruiting training?

Hey, Combat_medic, sorry about the nobility thing, a complete misunderstanding on my part. BTW, some of my best friends are inbred! ;)

Yes, res training. Any info? If not, reg will do. I just need to read and know more!

[/quote]Sorry, that comment just really bothered me. I also have a degree but I choose to be an NCM, and it doesn‘t make me any less of a person. I just hope this new training idea will level the playing field a little. [/quote]

I hear that.. I‘m in the middle of an engineering degree, but chose to go in as an NCM..

As for officers on BMQ? My BMQ this summer was supposed to be also Phase I training for officers, but there wasn‘t anybody who was recruited as an officer on my course...

From what I understand (someone correct me if I am wrong), officer recruiting is down. I believe you will start to see more and more NCM‘s getting asked to cross over to the Dark Side. :cool:

I don‘t know about any other units, but right now we have a deplorable excess of junior officers (1 OCdt, 13 2Lts, 3 Lts). The numbers are so high, in fact, that I think right now we have more JUNIOR officers than all Senior NCOs put together. Sometimes I think the unit is inventing new positions (assistant adjutant, assistant recruiting officer etc.) just so that all these 2Lts can attempt to justify their existance.

$hit , they tried making the OCdt a SECTION COMMANDER!!!!! But then the Sergeants went insane, and stopped that process. So, if they really are recruiting less officers, it would be music to my ears.

Hey...Combat Medic...my unit is short on Lt‘s...sooo....let say we make a deal. You send us an LT and we will send you.....ahh....hmmm..... lets say a dozen donuts...

Ummm...no offence to the junior officers that I know and consider friends....hee hee :D

I‘ve been searching the DND site for info on basic training (for both ncms and officers) and have only found tidbits (no, sorry guys, not timbits) -- and certainly nothing detailed. Any docs I did find basically said stuff like "be prepared to do a whole lotta pushups and get up really early" and cr@p like that.

The document on reserve restructuring is interesting, but again, it does not provide info on training.

Any help here? Any suggestions?

A CASE OF BEER AND YOU WANT TIMBITS ON TOP OF THAT!!!!! The nerve. Hey...we are talking 2Lt‘s here!!! Lets be sane. Ok...instead of the case of beer how about 2 tins of Tim Hortons coffee.
:p
humint what exactly do you want to know? Are you going to be taking basic soon? I think other than the physical end of things there is not much you can prepair yourself for. Tell ya what, I have a good idea of what is taught on a Reserve BMQ...if you can give me a bit more detail, I maybe can help you out. :warstory:

Back