• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

All About RESO (merged)

• Thread starter rolandstrong
  • Start date
P.S. It's called ROTP and you don't have to serve while you're in school just go to class and get paid. #thuglife

Thank-you, I am aware of ROTP. I'm asking about a program like the UK one, where there is not any obligatory service as the education is not paid for.

jaredadams said:
I haven't been able to find a clear answer elsewhere, so I am going to pose it here. Is there a program like the UK's UOTC where a university student serves as an officer cadet until they finish their degree? I'd assume if their was a similar program here then the service would be with a local reserve unit and training would be done like other reserve officers on weeknights, weekends and summers but do not receive their commission until the completion of their degree.

You can apply to join the Regular Force under the ROTP program and if accepted be an Officer Cadet, paid full-time to attend university in an approved program, all paid for by the CAF.

You can apply to join a Primary Reserve unit as an officer and if accepted as an Officer Cadet, apply for RESO and be paid as a Reservist (part-time), which you can use to pay your own way through university, and on successful completion of each years credits, make a claim for reimbursement of some of your costs.

If you research ROTP and RESO, you will find the information you need to decide which route you would prefer to take.

George Wallace said:
You can apply to join the Regular Force under the ROTP program and if accepted be an Officer Cadet, paid full-time to attend university in an approved program, all paid for by the CAF.

You can apply to join a Primary Reserve unit as an officer and if accepted as an Officer Cadet, apply for RESO and be paid as a Reservist (part-time), which you can use to pay your own way through university, and on successful completion of each years credits, make a claim for reimbursement of some of your costs.

If you research ROTP and RESO, you will find the information you need to decide which route you would prefer to take.
Thank-you. That was the RESO information was what I have been looking for.

Hello,

I apologize if this question has been asked previously. I tried searching using a couple of terms but did not pull up anything under the "medical" section pertaining to this. I had posted a question regarding medical for regular forces awhile ago, however, I was speaking with a recruiter about a RESO program (but have read somewhere on the forums this program doesn't exist anymore?) and a recruiter told me that this program is less physical and slightly different than the process of DEO through Reserves or Regular Force. Following receiving this information I am wondering if the medical portion of the RESO program and medical requirements are the same as the Regular forces? Do RESO Reserve members have to meet the same universal medical standards as the Regular Force people?

Thank you for any help with regards to this matter.

ThePostulant said:
I am wondering if the medical portion of the RESO program and medical requirements are the same as the Regular forces? Do RESO Reserve members have to meet the same universal medical standards as the Regular Force people?

russianfrontphotos said:
Does anyone know if the medical standards for reserve applicants is lower than for regular force applicants?

old medic said:
There is only one standard. It applies to everyone.

"Minimum Medical Standards for Officers and Non-Commissioned Members"
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/officer-ncm-minimum-medical-standards.page

Hello,
New to this site, awesome help so far.

Not sure if this was answered yet, but I was told I need to be in my last two years of university for RESO. I'm taking 5 years for a 4year program(i'm finishing up my third year).

Do I need to be in my last two years(apply in my 4th year), or can I apply now so that by the time I'm in 4th year...

Thanks in advance for all the help

ang8899 said:
Hello,
New to this site, awesome help so far.

Not sure if this was answered yet, but I was told I need to be in my last two years of university for RESO. I'm taking 5 years for a 4year program(i'm finishing up my third year).

Do I need to be in my last two years(apply in my 4th year), or can I apply now so that by the time I'm in 4th year...

Thanks in advance for all the help

I would say that whomever told you that has absolutely no clue what they are talking about.

I started ROUTP (pre-RESO) and finished off RESO.  ROUTP and RESO gave me four summers worth of employment.  RESO is a plan that Reserve units can use to train their officers, and those units would like to retain those officers for more than the years involved in that officer progressing through the RESO program.  Once a student graduates university, there is no guarantee that they will reside in the same area as the university and that Reserve unit.  Most often they will find employment elsewhere and the Reserve unit has lost a trained officer.

You can count on RESO providing you with a minimum of three summers of full-time employment to get you to be a fully qualified officer in a Reserve unit, and what you were told by that person would not fill that criteria. 

Apply NOW for RESO and get your processing done, or you may miss out on that opportunity altogether. 

All about RESO.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-5000/5002-8.page

Good day,

I am considering some full time military options and I've recently come across RESO. I read all the links sent to me by the BPSO in regards to this program and I have also read most, if not all post's pertaining to RESO on this website. I am mainly interested in taking RESO because I can essentially work at my degree at my own pace while being an Officer and not have to have the same course load that full time university students have. I have one concern in which I was hoping someone on here can help me out with because I can't seem to find it through my research.

If I were to apply as an Officer I'd want to serve full time as an Officer while still working towards my degree whether it's in the Regular Force or the Reserve on a 3-year Class B/C contract. Is that possible/likely? My dad was able to be an Officer while still working towards his degree. Is that still thing?

It's worth noting that I am a Naval Reservist.

luttrellfan said:
Good day,

I am considering some full time military options and I've recently come across RESO. I read all the links sent to me by the BPSO in regards to this program and I have also read most, if not all post's pertaining to RESO on this website. I am mainly interested in taking RESO because I can essentially work at my degree at my own pace while being an Officer and not have to have the same course load that full time university students have. I have one concern in which I was hoping someone on here can help me out with because I can't seem to find it through my research.

If I were to apply as an Officer I'd want to serve full time as an Officer while still working towards my degree whether it's in the Regular Force or the Reserve on a 3-year Class B/C contract. Is that possible/likely? My dad was able to be an Officer while still working towards his degree. Is that still thing?

It's worth noting that I am a Naval Reservist.

You should discuss what, if any, possibilities of employment there are with your NAVRES Career Manager.  Even as an officer in NAVRES you will have a Career Manager.  The reason why I'm suggesting you take this route is I know that Class B opportunities outside of NAVRES would require you to be trade qualified to be eligible for employment; however there might be positions internal to NAVRES that would allow you to do this.

Make sure to reach out to the appropriate Career Manager through your Chain of Command.

Buck_HRA said:
You should discuss what, if any, possibilities of employment there are with your NAVRES Career Manager.  Even as an officer in NAVRES you will have a Career Manager.  The reason why I'm suggesting you take this route is I know that Class B opportunities outside of NAVRES would require you to be trade qualified to be eligible for employment; however there might be positions internal to NAVRES that would allow you to do this.

Make sure to reach out to the appropriate Career Manager through your Chain of Command.

Thanks for your response Buck! I'll head into my unit when I get home next week and ask around.

Back