• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

The CPC seems to be working on filling its war chest in preparation for….ummm….October 2025…

I think for PP it's a case of both fund raising, and ensuring he can get his message out on his terms. When he has a rally there will be social media posts/videos out there that share the message he wants shared. If he leaves his messaging for media scrums, activist reporters will just keep trying "gotcha" questions and bring up wedge social issues to try to paint him as "scary".

Interesting tack - wonder how many donors are big business and lobbyists?
Here's his speech from last week dealing with more of the latter ....

Let's see how Team Red spins this in their favour.

For some it will be a selling point. The ones who object will almost definitionally be crony capitalists, but anyone not politically connected should be happy to see those advantages taken away from competitors and relieved not to feel like they have to bear the expense of lobbying.

I think lobbying should be illegal. There is too much room for lobbyists and individual MPs to get up to shenanigans and f**key. Your product should stand on its merits. Not how well your representative wines and dines government officials.

I think lobbying should be illegal. There is too much room for lobbyists and individual MPs to get up to shenanigans and f**key. Your product should stand on its merits. Not how well your representative wines and dines government officials.
If you make it illegal, it still happens but gets far more shady when there's no spotlight on it. You need to regulate the crap out of it and have real consequences for people in decision making capacities that breach the regulations or else people just get free vacations to private islands...

If you make it illegal, it still happens but gets far more shady when there's no spotlight on it. You need to regulate the crap out of it and have real consequences for people in decision making capacities that breach the regulations or else more people just get free vacations to private islands...
FTFY.

Some lobbying is for stuff that is sold to the government. Such as the entire defence industry

He continues to say all the right things... And he's probably going to get my vote.

But I won't be surprised if I'm disappointed by another politician. These guys and lawyers, I'm not sure who is worse for society.

He continues to say all the right things... And he's probably going to get my vote.

But I won't be surprised if I'm disappointed by another politician. These guys and lawyers, I'm not sure who is worse for society.
Everyone hates lawyers, until they need one.

Everyone hates lawyers, until they need one.

If you dont have laws you dont need lawyers

Think About It GIF by Identity

(ducks for cover)

As a Tory voter, I’ve always been put off by the Tories’ seemingly chumminess with business lobbies. The lobbies are always able to convince those naturally inclined to the private sector that what is good for them is good for the country.

When Harper started out, he was strong on Beijing. Then the business lobby convinced him that kowtowing to Beijing was good for business, ergo good for Canada.

But I definitely won’t leave out the party of crony capitalism, the LPC. The LPC and business lobby are tied to the hip. But the business lobby knows how to play both parties.

... the business lobby knows how to play both parties.
As well as Team Orange when they feel threatened - this from 1991 ...
One analyst's read of PP's speech to business leaders in Vancouver (can't find an official transcript yet) says he may have threatened to end handouts to business. If that's the case, will he be brave enough to end regional economic development grants through organizations like this?
Nationally, parties of both main jersey colours have been happy to have these available for patronage. Time will tell ...

As a Tory voter, I’ve always been put off by the Tories’ seemingly chumminess with business lobbies. The lobbies are always able to convince those naturally inclined to the private sector that what is good for them is good for the country.

When Harper started out, he was strong on Beijing. Then the business lobby convinced him that kowtowing to Beijing was good for business, ergo good for Canada.

But I definitely won’t leave out the party of crony capitalism, the LPC. The LPC and business lobby are tied to the hip. But the business lobby knows how to play both parties.
And lets not kid ourselves, if the NDP ever form government (after 2011 that was a real threat, now, its laughable) they would totally chum right up to a few businesses or corporations, especially if they have union labour.

right now the only question for the next election is who gets to be the opposition
Bloq
NDP
Libs

Mr. Poilievre may say that he will not bend to the corporate lobbyists and pay more attention to the Canadian people - for that I applaud him. I've never been a fan of corporate welfare. Having said that when a major corporate wants to build a significant digital hub / manufacturing centre or something similar - which could employ many people, many local city mayors will eagerly offer incentives to entice the corporation. The mayors will lobby the Premier for support who in turn will plead with the federal gov't. That kind of political pressure is significant especially if it seems that Federal gov't fails to pursue economic opportunities which could employ many people.

The only federal party that wants an election now is the CPC. I'm not sure if the LPC, NDP, Green and the Bloc have the financial resources or are even prepared for an election before 2025.

Back