• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

2022 CPC Leadership Discussion: Et tu Redeux

On the contrary, if you read through my previous replies you might realize that just maybe there’s some serious stuff I’d like our opposition to clearly focus on. There are sometimes domestic matters I’ll choose not to offer a public opinion on for reasons that are my own. Doesn’t mean I don’t have an opinion, or that it won’t inform my vote.

I’m neither ‘shocked’ by this (I wish I was but am sadly not) nor ‘horrified’ (that’s a much higher threshold). I’m just disappointed and disgusted that some extremist views and people are garnering sympathy from within the ranks of sitting MPs.

Ok.

They only have themselves to blame for the distraction. Even the Reform Party wasn’t this amateur in the 90’s. I say that as a Reform voter.
This is amplified for effect. Don’t mind the china election Trudeau thing because: “CSIS leak is not accurate… look over there, a racist!”

This is amplified for effect. Don’t mind the china election Trudeau thing because: “CSIS leak is not accurate… look over there, a racist!”
Most of us are capable of paying attention to and caring about both at once.

I know that, but I think the cohort of rubes you are referring to is smaller than you think.
I don’t think it is. I’m referring to the voting population in general. The LPC with the help of China will attempt to deflect this scandal, a common means under Trudeau has been to label any opposition to anything as racist.

I don’t think it is. I’m referring to the voting population in general. The LPC with the help of China will attempt to deflect this scandal, a common means under Trudeau has been to label any opposition to anything as racist.
Christine Anderson is a racist though. The CPC needs to sell itself to the public to get elected. That it continues to fumble the ball is disappointing, perhaps this latest will be a blip of no importance and perhaps not. It just wasnt needed or of any value. There are lots of reasons people vote for one party or the other. I myself was more likely to vote for an O'Toole led CPC than the one led by PP. I may vote CPC just because of how bad I think the LPC are but that is not a reason to vote for something

There are many Canadians who are absolutely, inflexibly, loyal to a specific party. They may, at one point in their life, undergo a fundamental shift in their politics, and move out of one fixed camp either in another, or into ‘no party loyalty’. But from election to election their votes aren’t variable and aren’t contestable. Those voters aren’t the info battlespace on this one because they’re already a known quantity who won’t change in any major numbers.

Elections are decided primarily by the voters who don’t have fixed party loyalty, and who will actually sway their vote based on issues. That’s largely going to be the people who aren’t easily easily distracted by superficial. While there will be some voters who are undecided and who are unsophisticated enough to be easily distracted from major issues, I don’t believe that’s many. Most voters who pay enough attention to not be blindly loyal are able to pay attention to multiple things at once and to reassess our voting intentions in light of new information.

While political parties will still play distraction games as issues arise, I don’t believe it’s a particularly effective tactic. Also, one side using one issue to try to distract from another one does not mean that the issue isn’t significant and worthy of attention in its own right. Sitting members of Parliament publicly and knowingly kowtowing to the far right is a valid problem worth addressing. It is by no means the biggest problem out there, but it’s still a problem (and a problem relevant to this specific thread) that their party should firmly address.

Christine Anderson is a racist though. The CPC needs to sell itself to the public to get elected. That it continues to fumble the ball is disappointing, perhaps this latest will be a blip of no importance and perhaps not. It just wasnt needed or of any value. There are lots of reasons people vote for one party or the other. I myself was more likely to vote for an O'Toole led CPC than the one led by PP. I may vote CPC just because of how bad I think the LPC are but that is not a reason to vote for something
I don’t know anything about Anderson and I haven’t looked. I won’t believe the LPC or media statement about her on its own. Is there any evidence that can be shared here demonstrating she is a racist?

There are many Canadians who are absolutely, inflexibly, loyal to a specific party. They may, at one point in their life, undergo a fundamental shift in their politics, and move out of one fixed camp either in another, or into ‘no party loyalty’. But from election to election their votes aren’t variable and aren’t contestable. Those voters aren’t the info battlespace on this one because they’re already a known quantity who won’t change in any major numbers.

Elections are decided primarily by the voters who don’t have fixed party loyalty, and who will actually sway their vote based on issues. That’s largely going to be the people who aren’t easily easily distracted by superficial. While there will be some voters who are undecided and who are unsophisticated enough to be easily distracted from major issues, I don’t believe that’s many. Most voters who pay enough attention to not be blindly loyal are able to pay attention to multiple things at once and to reassess our voting intentions in light of new information.

While political parties will still play distraction games as issues arise, I don’t believe it’s a particularly effective tactic. Also, one side using one issue to try to distract from another one does not mean that the issue isn’t significant and worthy of attention in its own right. Sitting members of Parliament publicly and knowingly kowtowing to the far right is a valid problem worth addressing. It is by no means the biggest problem out there, but it’s still a problem (and a problem relevant to this specific thread) that their party should firmly address.

If Trudeau manages to get elected again, after all this, it’s safe to believe there is election interference impacting the results.

One of the ironies of life is that people who engage with the far left (eg. someone like Fidel Castro) get a pass that is not available to people who engage with the far right. It's not fair; it's the way things are. Any conservative party has to reckon with that and adjust accordingly, at least until the kind of people who would have Che on a t-shirt or poster are treated the same as people who are practically Hitler.

If Trudeau manages to get elected again, after all this, it’s safe to believe there is election interference impacting the results.
Or, alternatively, that the official opposition failed to get and act serious.

The currently margin in Parliament is well above the number of allegedly affected seats (I believe the number quoted was 11). Also note than in the name we have so far, that seat was a very safe Liberal seat for the past decade. The alleged interference, if true, was more about who would get the nod within the party- which is probably a hell of a lot easier to impact than who wins the seat. It would not sway which party took the seat, but would serve to put a more sympathetic voice into our legislature. That is still, obviously, a potential threat to national security and to our political integrity.

I believe the perceived response to alleged interference could be more electorally significant than any such actual interference itself. One challenge there is that much of the response within the security and intelligence community will of course be invisible and unknowable to you or I. But I believe there should be a public, non-partisan effort to quantify this issue and to establish as many facts as can be made public. I believe there will be room for both legislative and internal party policy responses.

Anyway, that’s as far as I’ll offer public opinion on that issue, and it’s outside the scope of this thread anyway, which is more about the CPC’s drama and foibles. Hopefully you‘re convinced that I’m also very concerned about the other issue you’ve mentioned. I think most attentive voters are or soon will be. And this is why I want the CPC to get its poop in a group and provide Canada with a thoughtful, sober, and mature loyal opposition.

I don’t know anything about Anderson and I haven’t looked. I won’t believe the LPC or media statement about her on its own. Is there any evidence that can be shared here demonstrating she is a racist?

Tons, and some of it already has, including Pierre Poilievre’s statement repudiating her disgusting views and saying it would have been better had she never come to Canada. You’ve apparently chosen not to read those replies and you’ve chosen not to attempt to inform yourself either. That’s deliberate and wilful ignorance on your part, and the onus is not on the rest of us to further spoon feed you. Several accounts are already linked in this thread, and you could immediately find the same info by literally googling her.

It’s weird to say to us “I’ve chosen to remain uninformed but I’ll enter the discussion anyway…” Although I guess if you haven’t read the earlier replies, you’re not so much entering a discussion as you are shouting over it.

There are many Canadians who are absolutely, inflexibly, loyal to a specific party.

Mercifully, in my corner of the world, political lawn signs are only allowed out for limited periods of time.

Of course we now have social media. But, as someone said, "Never take comments on social media as more than the loudest minority."

What gets me is the so-called "freedom" people on TV. They seem, to me, to be in a perpetual tantrum over the last three federal elections.

If they are trying to win the hearts and minds of voters, I don't think it is working. As they now face a $306 million class action lawsuit.

Christine Anderson and the Alternative for Germany party are full blown Anti-Semites as in hating Jews and Muslims/Arabs amongst other things. Normally a backwards nobody politician from Germany wouldnt and shouldnt be a factor in Canadian politics but here we are

It would have been better to do a simple Google search and not meet with a known racist from a party that is considered a national security threat in her own country.

The Liberals were already trying to portray concern for Beijing’s interference in our elections as racist. This gave them credible ammo to use on the Tories.

Stupid.

It would have been better to do a simple Google search and not meet with a known racist from a party that is considered a national security threat in her own country.

The Liberals were already trying to portray concern for Beijing’s interference in our elections as racist. This gave them credible ammo to use on the Tories.

Stupid.
It would indeed be easy to Google “Christine Anderson”.

Keep looking for avatar that combines a facepalm and vomiting...seems to fit the situation rather appropriately.

Last edited:
Back