• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What's the average age of reserve officers? (lieutendant-captain)

oittoi

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering..  What's the average age for reserve officers (infantry, armoured, artillery) in 2nd lieutendent-captain level?  Is there any lieutendent in his 40's or 50's?  Is that lot higher than the one in the regular or foreign armies?  Just curious ^-^ :cdn: 

It depends, most new 2LT and LT's are young from my experience. However, there are some older ones as well, such as those who commission from the ranks.

We have a 56 year old Lt in my unit.  He joined up at the ripe old age of 44 as an Ocdt.  But on average, reserve subalterns are in their twenties.

I think you   will find that there is actually a fairly wide range of ages at the Lt. and Cpt. level in the reserves - it really varies from unit to unit.  

As a rule, as Horse Solider noted, it's true that most are in their 20s - but there is also a significant number who are older.   (I happen to be one of them)

There is also what I call a militia "sub-species" of 2Lts who are in their 40s-50s who often do very specilized roles (Fin O, UIO, LogO, Admin, etc - or some form of duty thereof) , but because of work pressures can't get enough time off to get fully MOC qualified quickly - or are taking years to get MOC qualified because they are using the two week block system.

They are often dedicated paraders who do paper work or other niggly tasks that the younger guys might not be especially keen on (who can blame them) , but again, getting anything beyond two weeks off at a time for training is problematic for them to advance in promotion.

Some 2Lts. have decided to come back to the reserve after a long hiatus and decided to re-enroll; and some are CFRs.   (Interesting to note that in my unit I would say we have a generation gap with hardly any captains who are in their late 30s-40s - probably because these are prime years for career development and family)

If you're worried about being too old for the rank - don't be.   As long as you pull your weight, your fellow subbies will respect you no matter what your age.

As for comparisons to other militaries I don't know. I think there are probably a lot of older guys in the USNG from what I've seen on the news but that's just anecdotal.

cheers, mdh   :)

Thank you!  Thank you for all the goody information.  Well, yes, I was bit worried that I would be too old to join.  I'm in early 30s now, but because of the job and security-related problems, I think I would have to wait for about 3-4 years before I join the reserves.  By then I would be like around 35-36.  I just wanted to make sure anyone with no military background who joins in his late 30s as officer cadet would not be looked as a fool in the group of teenagers and 20s.  Well, I'm really relieved to know that I'm not that old afterall.  thank you! ;D :salute: 

Another question:  would master's degree help to become an officer?  I have a graduate degree and I will also get PhD in 5 years.  Does that help?

Your Degrees may help, but not necessarily.  Many NCMs these days have Degrees.  A Degree doesn't necessarily make you a leader, in any field, so they may mean nothing in the end.  The decision on your career path will be made when you apply and go through the interview process.

GW is correct - a degree won't help your leadership abilities (Might even harm them   ;).)   But if you are asking in the narrow sense of qualifying for Direct Entry Officer (DEO) in the reserves, then all you need is an undergraduate degree in any discipline (assuming you are going combat arms).

Post graduate degrees won't hurt of course, and they might place you higher on the merit list when you undergo the recruiting process.

Cheers. mdh

Thank GW &mdh.  Does that mean the interviewers decide whether I should join as NCM or officer?  I'm interested in armoured or armoured reconnaisance, and I thought I would take a shot at DEO.  Well, I guess graduate degree won't help that much in leadership skills,as you said.  What quality do they exactly expect from you when you want to be a DEO?  I don't have any military leadership experience at this point (maybe in civilian areas, though), and do you have to have like a proof that you can lead?  help! ???

Does that mean the interviewers decide whether I should join as NCM or officer?

No it's actually your choice.   You can opt for NCO even if you have a degree if that's what you want.   The DEO entry plan is designed for candidates who already possess a degree.

What quality do they exactly expect from you when you want to be a DEO?

If you go reserve you need to approach a unit first and ask for a letter of recommendation (LOR). The recruiter will typically ask you to provide a resume and a letter stating why you want to join.   To get a CO's LOR that you must be "boarded" which means an interview with three or four officers who will ask you questions (it's really an job interview).  

They will look at your knowledge of the CF, current affairs, motivation for joining, and general deportment.

The board then decides if you are what they are looking for and they review you CV carefully. Once the letter is signed by the CO the file goes to the recruiting centre where it is processed and you are given the CFAT, medical, interview, and PT test - and then you are merit listed.   Typically the file then goes back to your sponsoring unit and you are sworn in.

I don't have any military leadership experience at this point (maybe in civilian areas, though), and do you have to have like a proof that you can lead?

Having military experience isn't a prerequisite (such as cadets), if you can point to some type of civvie leadership activity ie sports, clubs, student politics, writing for the school newspaper, etc - that would obviously help.  

Just be sure of yourself and exude self-confidence. Finally, go to your local unit and ask questions - they will be more than happy to assist.
And forget about that armour stuff - it's the infantry you really want   >:D.

Hope that helps,

cheers, mdh

:)  yes, although I'm really interested in the armoured, I surely wanna keep my options open and think about the infantry too!  Especially that they are getting rid of cougars (that's what I heard), and I don't know what they will get in the future... Thank alot! :salute:

Your choices of 'Trade' will be limited to what Units are in your location.  If you truly want to go Armoured then there must be an Armour Unit in your vacinity.  You can move to be nearer to a Reserve Unit that you want to join, but how will that affect your job-search/schooling in the civilian world?

GW

Back