• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What yah do for fun.

I play bass guitar and accoustic myself.

I made a digeridoo once out of a big cardboard tube, didn‘t work out like I thought it would.

A buddy of mine plays the bagpipes and apparently they are rather difficult, I used to laugh at him because before he could even get the pipes he had to play on this little practice pipe that sounded like a snake charmers flute and looked like a fat pencil.

Yeah the bagpipe is the second hardest (wind) instrument to learn how to play, apparently French Horn is the first

Scarlino; Since I myself play about a dozen musical instruments, most of them being wind instruments, I can tell you that French Horn is by no means the most difficult.

Also, the bagpipes are hard to sound and require a very large volume of air, but since you only ever need to play 9 notes, can never change keys, never have to learn to breathe in time to the music, can only play in one dynamic (really loud) and are never playing pieces that last more than 5 minutes in length, it has it‘s advantages too. The notes and basic scale are incredibly easy to learn (took me about an hour total), probably the easiest instrument of all, but getting a full set of pipes and making a sound come out is tricky, so in that regard, they‘re difficult.

Not to mention, the Great Highland Bagpipes are considered a folk intrument, and are not really considered with the remainder of symphonic winds as they operate under a completely different set of rules.

Most difficult classical wind instruments to play, IMO; piccolo, oboe and bassoon. Trombone is difficult to learn the slide and to play notes quickly, and the tuba takes a large volume of air (as do the pipes). They‘re also dealing with about 3 or 4 full octaves, must learn to play in any key, at any dynamic, and have a lot more advanced techniques to them.

I‘ve played the guitar since god knows when. i grew up with a guitar in my hands be it acoustic or electric.

Oh yah, and I shoot birds at the airport.

I do alot of stuff in my spare time, I chill with friends, listen to tunes, watch Band of Brothers, snowboard in the winter, biscuit in the summer, play football in the fall and do alot of running. I also like to sing, write, read and I, strangely enough, actually enjoy school. Sometimes I go chill at a friend‘s place and shoot birds with his Daisy, or try and hit his cat with his archery set. I enjoy cooking dinner for my family, (when I feel like it,) and I also like playing with my uncle‘s dog and wrestling with my dad. Other than that, I‘m on the computer. :)

Lexi
It sounds like you spend alot of time being cold...Could we at the forum take up a collection to buy you a winter coat?

Regarding bagpipes-I was in a band for a time and the drummer ( Brian McKinney to you Franko) actually played and had a set of pipes which we tried to encorporate into our music.

it proved to be somewhat difficult as the pipes are in...E minor (if memory serves) and we were sort of restricted to that limited range to play in. I think we dropped the idea after a time. :)

Slim

Brian is now a Mcpl living in Moncton serving with the 8CH(m) Slim...

As for Lexi getting a coat..she‘ll get one when she gets in cadets :D

Regards

Originally posted by Franko:
[qb] Brian is now a Mcpl living in Moncton serving with the 8CH(m) Slim...

As for Lexi getting a coat..she‘ll get one when she gets in cadets :D

Regards [/qb]
Lol, IF I get into Cadets. My parents are still bieng oddly defiant. I have absolutely NO idea why.

I also forgot to write in my last post that I‘ve gotten quite into the model airplane and model tank making. I‘m working on a P-61B Black Widow and I have an Allied Sherman in it‘s box still waiting to be put together. And oh yeah, one more thing. I also really, really, really enjoy hiking. When I go to my grandpa‘s house, which is nestled in a valley surrounded by trees, I‘ll spend all day in the forest and then sneak out of the house at night and hike. It‘s the best ever and really gets your adrenaline flowing, especially when you have a hedgehog following you! :D

Slim: The pipes play in A major with a flattened 7th. However, because they‘re a folk instrument, they tune a lot higher than classical instruments, and their A sounds just under a concert B flat. That‘s why any time you play with pipes, your‘re playing in B flat major or E flat major, with the pipes tuning themselves slightly sharp. There are plenty of pieces written for band and pipes or orchestra and pipes.

hmm.. my hobbies

airsoft, music, being with my friends, driving around, goin off-roading :D

I enjoy playing airsoft,rugby,paintball,model tanks,cadets, and I belong to a military history club.
PS Right now I‘m starting plans to restore a Bren Gun Carrier.

Wow - FUBAR a taxidermist. Finally, he says something interesting. ;) Very neat hobby, FUBAR. I work with it a lot because it ties into my own Outdoors related stuff.

Originally posted by combat_medic:
[qb] Slim: The pipes play in A major with a flattened 7th. However, because they‘re a folk instrument, they tune a lot higher than classical instruments, and their A sounds just under a concert B flat. That‘s why any time you play with pipes, your‘re playing in B flat major or E flat major, with the pipes tuning themselves slightly sharp. There are plenty of pieces written for band and pipes or orchestra and pipes. [/qb]
Medic
...When I said band perhaps I should have been more specific on the type of music we were into at the time ( no military marches)
We were writing our own stuff (Goth/alternative/anythingelseyoucanthinkof!!!) and thought that the pipes would make a neat sound to utilize.

We played the Canada Day festival in downtown Fredricton in 1996 and were trying to develop a song that incorporated them...I think we wound up getting the sound on a set of keyboards instead...Easier to work with!

Slim

Slim: no matter what type of band you‘re playing with, the pipes can still play in the one key; that being the flattened B flat major concert. They couldn‘t play in E minor if they wanted to, nor can they play in any minor key. Most of their music is based on a pentatonic scale, which can be manipulated through proper notation to SOUND minor, but they‘re still retricted to those same 9 notes, and that same key signature of B flat with the lowered 7th.

I play guitar and am learning the french horn. It is moderatly easy to play, but hard to play well. I also play football, build military dioramas, paintball and rugby (best sport).

Well no wonder the youth of today are-oh shall we say FAT. :D Two pages of hobbies and no one just play‘s good old fashioned sports? Shut the video game off,get off your @#$ and get out there. :dontpanic: Let see... hockey, volleyball, golf,baseball, working out and oh yea -being a sarcastic old guy! :evil: CHEERS

Back