• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What kind of explosives is liquid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yrys

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
I'm curious, and don't know much (in fact nothing) about explosives...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4778575.stm

'Airlines terror plot' disrupted

All airports have been put under the restrictions

A plot to blow up planes in flight from the UK to the US and commit
"mass murder on an unimaginable scale" has been disrupted, Scotland Yard has said.

EDIT: but if you know some, don't post them ...  ( I think I forgot the acessibility of the internet with my title...)

I was going to say nitro, but isn't it a little too unstable to transport in luggage being bumped around?  I'm nowhere close to an expert, but most of the reading and information I have seen on nitro puts it as quite unstable for transport.

Some articles says that the liquids explosives were going to be transport
in hand luggage (shudder).

so, now,

Passengers are not allowed to take any hand luggage on to any flights in the UK, the department said.

Only the barest essentials - including passports and wallets - will be allowed to be carried on board
in transparent plastic bags.

There are numerous chemicals that when combined with other chemicals can cause dangerous/explosive reactions (if you have taken WHMIS they are indicated with a big R), some only need to be combined with water for this to happen.  No I don't know any specific chemicals off hand, and even if I did, I would not post them for all to see.  

There are also ways of working around the instability of Nitro, ie freezing, etc

There are alot of chemicals that react with water, take grade 10 Chemistry and you will find out what they are......

Hatchet Man said:
There are numerous chemicals that when combined with other chemicals can cause dangerous/explosive reactions (if you have taken WHMIS they are indicated with a big R), some only need to be combined with water for this to happen.  No I don't know any specific chemicals off hand, and even if I did, I would not post them for all to see. 

Bang on, as for the question originator, it is easy enough to use google to answer that question.

Yrys said:
I'm curious, and don't know much (in fact nothing) about explosives...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philippine_Airlines_Flight_434
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Bojinka#The_bomb

If you have a chance, watch "Mayday" on Discovery channel. There is an episode called "Bomb on board" where a terrorist smuggled on board liquid Nitro and assembled a bomb in the lavatory which later killed one passenger.

I remember something about "binary bombs" (two separate inert liquids become unstable and explosive when combined) from the movie Die Hard III.  Was that just fiction, or does this sort of thing exist?
:blotto:

we'll put this here for now. If it continues down the path it seems to be heading, we'll move it to Radio Chatter.

If you don't know the answer to a seriously-asked question, don't reply. Let someone with the knowledge do so. If they should deem that the knowledge shouldn't be posted, then we'll just lock 'er down. 'Kay?

Or we'll just lock it down, instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back