• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What does Managing Authority (as opposed to Career Manager) do?

Cpl4Life

Inactive
Reaction score
I had this explained to me by a recruiter once but I'll be darned if I can remember.  Can someone please tell me the Managing Authority's role in the recruiting process?  And what exactly does the Career Manager do in the process?

If I am not mistaken, the Managing Authority is that component of the CF that is responsible for the affairs of an entire MOC(or "trade"). For example, the MA for the 031 MOC (Regular Inf) is the Army. The MA for Boatswain is the Navy, etc. Some MOCs, mostly in the technical branches, are not quite so simple. So, the MA is more concerned with the collective issues of the MOC as a whole, such as its training, servce affiliation, etc. The Army has recently tried to become the MA for some of its support MOCs, but with limited success.

The Career Manager is an individual Officer or WO who is employed in NDHQ to focus on the military employment of individual members of MOCs. The CM does not make decisions (contrary to popular misconception.....) he is in fact a servant of the wishes of the particular Corps, Branch or Regiment. Those agencies make the important decisions, and the CMs put things into effect and manage the system. In the Infanty, for example, COs and RSMs of battalions have traditionally had great influence on career issues and are still really the CMs for officers below Capt and NCM below Sgt. So, the CM is more concerned with individuals within an MOC.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

pbi said:
The CM does not make decisions (contrary to popular misconception.....) he is in fact a servant of the wishes of the particular Corps, Branch or Regiment. Those agencies make the important decisions, and the CMs put things into effect and manage the system. In the Infanty, for example, COs and RSMs of battalions have traditionally had great influence on career issues and are still really the CMs for officers below Capt and NCM below Sgt. So, the CM is more concerned with individuals within an MOC.

Are you talking Reserves only?  I'm just curious because I'm CT'ing to Reg. Force and can't see the corps/branch/regiment making decisions on individuals, but maybe I'm wrong.  I can see it more in the Reserves because you apply to a unit and if the individual wanted to change units he/she would apply to that unit and I could see the Regiment or Branch having some say in what the CM does with that individual.???

The explanation about the MA from what I remember now you've jogged it seems bang on.

Thanks!

Cpl4Life said:
Are you talking Reserves only?   I'm just curious because I'm CT'ing to Reg. Force and can't see the corps/branch/regiment making decisions on individuals, but maybe I'm wrong.   I can see it more in the Reserves because you apply to a unit and if the individual wanted to change units he/she would apply to that unit and I could see the Regiment or Branch having some say in what the CM does with that individual.???

The explanation about the MA from what I remember now you've jogged it seems bang on.

Thanks!

No-I'm not talking about Reserves at all. There really is no direct equivalent in the Army Reserve to the centralized Career Manager system we have in the Regular Army. In the Army Reserve, Career Management is achieved through the chain of command, mostly at unit and Bde level (In 38 CBG we have a Res NCM C/M who helps the units develop and train their NCOs/WOs). Some very senior C/M decisions concerning Res are taken at Area level, but generally only for LCol/CWO and above.

You wont initially be aware of the influence of your Branch/Regt in the RegF, until you get out of depot an into a unit. Then it will become quite clear, as I mentioned earlier.

Cheers.

Back