• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Webbing mag pouches

• Thread starter marshmanguy
  • Start date
M

marshmanguy

I have my weapons tests coming up, and any drill involving changing of magazines you have to close the mag pouches.  Problem is, they only give us two mags so the puches aren't full and freakin' hard to close, does anyone have a way to remedy this?

If I'm gunna be using these things and if it's what is issued, I'd prefer to be proficient in IT rather than something else, cuz what if I don't have the "something else" sometime?

Trust me, the issued magpouches are total crap, along with the idea that you should put spent magazines back into the magazine pouches :eek:, or check the top of the mag before loading it.  I passed the test using them, and if I passed, you should be able too as well.  ;D

But mainly you close the mag pouch after you have done the load and on the unload, try using a pocket as a dump pouch for empty magazines instead (im guessing you are on a BMQ course so aftermarket kit is a no no).

It's okay, I've done it and passed.  The reason I was getting so worked up was that ORIGINALLY they were telling us that the time didnt stop until the mag pouches were CLOSED.  On the load, this wasn't a massive problem but on the unload (you know ALL the steps to this) it was a real problem getting the mag pouches closed.  It turned out that time stopped when you got your hand on the hand guard.  You had to put the mag away just not close it.

hehe, it's a 2 second penalty for not closing your pouchs... once you slap that hand guard your 'supposed' to be done.. me? i just ate the two second penalty and scored quite well... however it's obviously still a good idea to practice closing them, i know alotta guys lost mags in our night platoon attack at the end of basic because they just couldn't close those pouchs when pressure was on..

Pte.M13 said:
i know alotta guys lost mags in our night platoon attack at the end of basic because they just couldn't close those pouchs when pressure was on..

wouldn't you have to do a sweep of the area, I know a guy that lost a bfa and we had to basically sweep all of aldershot.....let alone mags

They've (my BMQ instructors) ingrained to us on course that losing magazine will equal severe pain and search for and more pain and all things pleasant.

DO NOT LOOSE YOUR SERIALIZED KIT.  It's not really that hard.  The mags won't fall outta the puches if they're closed, the bayonet, if you have frogs, no prob, if you don't, just put em somewhere tight.  As for the rifle, well, you're holding it, shouldn't be a problem and if you DO forget it after a class or something....god help ye.

Mags aren't serialized, though.

I've ben on FTXs where mags have been dropped in defensive positions with very long grass. In one case, I had a 30rd mag fall out of a pouch- not sure how the heck it got open. Anyway, mine was one of two mags dropped that day. Both were searched for, but not extensively- there was an Ex to run. Anyway, the next evening someone was walking through our defensive position and ended up booting my dropped mag. It was nice to get it back. This was on my SQ, and I ahd the fear of God in me for losing that thing. I was told by my Sgt that it was a serious thing, but that it happened- don't crap my pants in fear for my life, but be bloody careful about it in future.

Regardless, you'll never have to worry about teh mag pouches on the webbine in a mission- if you don't have the new TacVest yet, you'll definitely get it before going anywhere. They're easier to do back up.

That being said, I actually find the palcement of the mag pouches a minor pain in the arse on those; with the old pouches you could yank it open and load a mag int wo seconds if you had to. But with the new ones, undoing the buckle and then opening the pouch are two slightly seperate motions that eat up a few valuable frctions of a second, and more importantly, you can't do it silently. Bloody Velcro.

marshmanguy , when you're out of basic training, or at least into doing section attacks on your SQ, you'll learn that spent mags simply don't go back into the pouch when you're in the middle of an ettack. Two popular methods are either showing them in a pocket- combat pants pockets, for instance, or tunic pocket if you're using the odl webbing, or (my preferred method), dropping them down your shirt. With the waist drawstring tied up, the mag won't fall out, and it's pretty easy to fish them out and put 'em away when you get a second. I havne't yettried this with winter gear on- hopefully my patrol hide will get bumped on my Ex this weekend and I'll get to have a bit of fun (My unit is all recce all weekend), so maybe I'll be able to back to you on winter alternatives.

You're doing the right thing coming on thsi site and asking people- all these minor hints and tipps add up quickly to a much easier experience when you're in the field. I've learned tons from these people.

mags arent easier to put back in the tac vest...  Very annoying when your trying to reload fast, and your stupid mag wont get in your pouch  :mad:

...which is why, if you're trying to to 'reload fast', namely in a tactical situation, you just shirt or pocket the mag and put 'er back in the vest later.

Brihard said:
... and more importantly, you can't do it silently. Bloody Velcro...

Dude!!!   You've just ripped through 30 rounds of 5.56 and you're worried about a stealthy reload???   Get back in the fight!!!   For spent mags, get yourself a dump pouch.   Wear it on the belt behind your off-side hip.  The idea of mags down the shirt goes in th dumper as soon as you have to wear armour and does not even work that well with just the TV on.   It was doable with the 82 Ptn, but it's time to re-evaluate our TTP's.   Moreover, some of the people I see advocating this concept (the mags in the shirt one) are the same ones worried about the "discomfort factor" associated with going prone while wearing a chest rig - Puh-leeeze!!!  Makes me wonder how many of them have actually ever worked out of a decent, high quality chest rig.  Things that make you say "Hmmm"...

YMMV

Blake

This is from experience: The discomfort and/or stealthiness factor is inversely proportional to the amount of fire you are taking.  

Does it hold ammunition securely.   Can you get at it quickly.   Is it reasonably comfortable on the march.   Is it rattle free.   Is it durable.   That's all you need.

big bad john said:
This is from experience: The discomfort and/or stealthiness factor is inversely proportional to the amount of fire you are taking.  

Does it hold ammunition securely.   Can you get at it quickly.   Is it reasonably comfortable on the march.   Is it rattle free.   Is it durable.   That's all you need.

...thus endeth the lesson...

Back