• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing Uniform in Public (merged)

Shall I merge this with all our other "Headdress" and "Dress" Threads, as we seem to be rehashing the same questions that we 'discussed' in the recent past?

E.R. Campbell said:
... (yes, there were women, but not many and they didn't count for much)....

Thank you sir, you made my day!!

;D Can only wish for the 'good ol' days' now.  ;D

ME

George Wallace said:
Shall I merge this with all our other "Headdress" and "Dress" Threads, as we seem to be rehashing the same questions that we 'discussed' in the recent past?

Four more pages from this year.

"In public in Uniform...":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104222.0.html

mariomike said:
Four more pages from this year.

"In public in Uniform...":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104222.0.html

I would rather leave the CADET uniform out of this if possible (although hard to do in some cases).

Sigs Pig said:
Thank you sir, you made my day!!

;D Can only wish for the 'good ol' days' now.  ;D

ME

Trust me, the "good old days" weren't very good at all.

Looking back on 35 years plus of military service I think I can say with all honesty that women and men are pretty much the same. Yes there are some women who are weak and have trouble doing some of the assigned tasks; but there are, in pretty much the same proportion, weak men who are physically unable to dot their jobs as well as I would wish. I never served with or near a female drama queen but I can, easily remember three such men - and one of them made it all the way to flag rank!

The fact was that the army (and navy and air force too, I suspect) of the 1960s was closed minded, backwards, sexist and unfair.

One memory: a somewhat overweight soldier was having trouble loading something heavy onto a truck, as he sweated and heaved and cursed a young, slightly built female NCO came around, gave the fellow one withering look and said, "Right, you fat slob, pick up your end ... lift ... heave!" And the job was done. I instructed a very, very senior member of the unit to ensure that the overweight, unfit fellow was made to shape up ASAP. I think I smiled when I learned that his remedial training was being supervised by the very same slightly built female NCO.

6V666 said:
You DON'T  have to wear headdress in your own car.

That is not true.  You do not have to wear headdress in your car if you are driving a long distance, if it is a safety issue (ie. you are six foot six and drive a Austin Mini), etc.  If you are a passenger, you are expected to wear your headdress so that you can pay compliments.  It is not a "SIMPLE" 'you do not have to wear headdress in your own car' rule, as you seem to imply.  Perhaps you should sift back through all these posts and read the REGULATIONS that have been posted.

The same can be said for all those who wander out of or into a DND building transiting to/from the parking lot without headdress.  They are flaunting the Regs.

George Wallace said:
It is not a "SIMPLE" 'you do not have to wear headdress in your own car' rule...

12. Military and Privately Owned Motor Vehicles (PMV)

a. Members wearing the uniform shall wear appropriate headdress while operating or travelling as a passenger in all military vehicle except:

(1) if the roof of the vehicle is too low to permit headdress to be worn with comfort and safety;

(2) on extended trips;

(3) on order of the senior members present; and

(4) in a staff car, PMV or bus

I'm confused. Doesn't para 4 say that head dress is NOT required in a PMV? Which regulation do you have that contradicts this one?

winnipegoo7 said:
12. Military and Privately Owned Motor Vehicles (PMV)

a. Members wearing the uniform shall wear appropriate headdress while operating or travelling as a passenger in all military vehicle except:

(1) if the roof of the vehicle is too low to permit headdress to be worn with comfort and safety;

(2) on extended trips;

(3) on order of the senior members present; and

(4) in a staff car, PMV or bus

I'm confused. Doesn't para 4 say that head dress is NOT required in a PMV? Which regulation do you have that contradicts this one?

Just because... If I am alone in a car, I can order myself to remove headdress... Regardless of rank, alone does equal senior member... ;D

George Wallace said:
That is not true.  You do not have to wear headdress in your car if you are driving a long distance, if it is a safety issue (ie. you are six foot six and drive a Austin Mini), etc.  If you are a passenger, you are expected to wear your headdress so that you can pay compliments.  It is not a "SIMPLE" 'you do not have to wear headdress in your own car' rule, as you seem to imply.  Perhaps you should sift back through all these posts and read the REGULATIONS that have been posted.

The same can be said for all those who wander out of or into a DND building transiting to/from the parking lot without headdress.  They are flaunting the Regs.

That is true, and where I work, people are constantly corrected for this behaviour. As to the dress regs on this subject, they are contradictory and lacking substance (i.e. define "an extended trip", sub para 3 and 4 are confusing and contradictory at best).

winnipegoo7 said:

So you are confused.  What is new? 

Want me to add to your confusion?  Change of subject.  The CF policy on physical fitness is that the CF Expres if the only recognized physical fitness standard.  However, to be promoted and deemed physically fit, one must past the BFT.  Only after failing the BFT twice, will they do the CF Expres test and have it recognized.  Ummmmm?  Contradictory orders from various command levels.  I see a pattern here.

Back to your HEADRESS......What does your boss expect of you, his/her lowly minion?

George Wallace said:

Want me to add to your confusion?  Change of subject.  The CF policy on physical fitness is that the CF Expres if the only recognized physical fitness standard.  However, to be promoted and deemed physically fit, one must past the BFT.  Only after failing the BFT twice, will they do the CF Expres test and have it recognized.  Ummmmm?  Contradictory orders from various command levels.  I see a pattern here.

Back to your HEADRESS......What does your boss expect of you, his/her lowly minion?

We follow the dress regs as written at my unit:

12.- A -4 says no head dress required in PMV
12.- B -2 says put it upon exiting the PMV

Seems simple to me.

And my boss is not allowed to use the word 'minion' to describe us anymore. Someone made a complaint.

George Wallace said:

And therein lies the correct answer.  Base standing orders sometimes (not always) addresses this issue, and sometimes it is unit standing orders. The RSM will dictate and clarify the direction to be taken with regards to dress.

Ya know, one could turn the contradictory orders thing into a drinking game... Just not sure my liver could handle it...

Perhaps, in the same light That RSMs can prescribe more restrictive summer and winter dress instructions, they can issue more restrictive headdress policy. Has anyone seen any Standing Orders anywhere reflective of base, wing, or unit headdress policy?

winnipegoo7 said:
And my boss is not allowed to use the word 'minion' to describe us anymore. Someone made a complaint.

Minion: a servile follower or subordinate of a person in power. 2. a favored or highly regarded person. 3. a minor official.

Did you fall out of favour with your Boss?

Not sure I like the term "restrictive"... Sometimes, the RSM, may out of necessity of the day, make something less "restrictive"...  Just nit-picking to be sure. I prefer the term "clarification" or "clarify".

PPCLI Guy said:
Minion: a servile follower or subordinate of a person in power. 2. a favored or highly regarded person. 3. a minor official.

Did you fall out of favour with your Boss?

I'm not sure I ever attained minion status, Lol. It happened before I got posted in. But one member did receive a written warning regarding the use of the word being used to describe low ranking personnel in the unit.

Pat in Halifax said:
Fair enough. I suppose it is like the term "Compensatory Leave". I know in the Navy, the terms 'senior' and 'junior rates' is still thrown around too.
See, now you guys have me all riled up and I feel the need to go head hunting for dress infractions tomorrow!!-I do have a pretty heavy schedule though...hmm! What to do...

Pat

Wait until Wednesday, then you can vent by jacking up civilian kids for not having their Halloween costume squared away. >:D

And if people ask, just tell them your dressed up as a cranky old sailor! ;D

PrairieThunder said:
He was standing at the platform wearing the helmet as well as on the train. Kosher?

That just sounds... special.  Doesn't take much effort to clip a helmet onto your tacvest.

Back