• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warriors?

Matt_Fisher said:
Every time you mention the word "warrior" the image of some fur loincloth clad battle-axe conan-looking barbarian comes to mind. Personally, I think warrior is a cheesy term, but we're all entitled to different opinions. Just keep in mind that when you like to put your opinion forth in the manner that you do, you may have some serious questioning as a result.

I have a slightly diffrent version of a "warrior". To me, a warrior is some one who continues to fight against insurmountable odds, or continues to push against absurdly adverse conditions in order to succeed. Example of a few....Terry Fox, every child diagnosed with cancer, every parent of one of those children, Gandhi, Nelson Mandela...

So that being said, when someone says someone has a warrior mentality, or sports announcers say that athletes are warriors.....this is the definition I conjure.

I may be a warrior, but to me that is a descriptive noun only appropriate for someone else to use....

You've seemed to have acomplished must more then the average 10 year veteran soldier who is currently serving in the JTF.

Gentlemen, many here have seemed to think that standing around with a few mags, frags, and a long gun in a forest doing nothing is some how my idea of HSLD ops. Not in the slightest. I'm not going to get into a huge pissing match arguing and debating every point brought against me. I apologize outright at some of my comments, as a couple were uninformed, and a couple I can see are very easily misinterpreted. My intention was never to stir up some shit, and I hope you understand that. Arguing on the net is like competing in the special olympics. I don't have the time or energy to get involved. Either believe me, or don't. If you'd like me to remove myself from the board I will do so. I believe that if you come into somebody's house and step on their toes, even accidentally, you should remove yourself. I do however, think that there is much for me to learn at this site and I would like to contribute in a small way from time to time. Thank you, take care, and stay safe.

"Gentlemen, many here have seemed to think that standing around with a few mags, frags, and a long gun in a forest doing nothing is some how my idea of HSLD ops"

Huh?  Is that what you think my life/profession is?? Based on what, your 2 years as a Pte(B) in the Mo??  I've lost count of the high-risk cordon and searchs, staring down some a**hole warlord and his drunken troops, taking fire (and returning) and REAL Ops our troops have down over the last 12 years!!!!  I've/we have done very little "standing around the woods" ops, I can count them on both hands!!!! I'd take a section from 3VP or JTF and put them against your "high speed warriors" any day!!!!  Our discipline, teamwork, professionalism and skill is why we have always completed our missions over those last 12 years!!!!

WO :cdn:

I think there is a way to apply a sort of "warrior mindset" with being a professional soldier. (as such combining two of the posts here)
Borrowing some points in point form from tacsit's post, i think these qualities make for a very effective soldier.

-The warrior protects and defends because he realizes the value of others. 
How true is this overseas? It's easy to deploy somewhere and not give a shit. We've all worked with some of these types. "i don't care about these people, i'm not giving them shit unless I'm ordered." It's really something else when a soldiers heart is in what he's doing.

-A warrior, never stops training and constantly seeks to improve himself in the martial arts.
A soldier should always do this. Always work at being more physically fit, more deadly with weapons, keep up to date on medical training and keep up to date in world events.

-The warrior strives to perfect him or herself into a total weapon.
Soldiers in an infantry section, armored crew or gun team (crew?) should strive to perfect their fighting so them come across like a weapon. Through constant training they all start to think and act as one.

-a mandate to protect society
We all know the world is interconnected. What happens in iraq, effects us here in north america.  Part of protecting the home front is sending soldiers abroad.

-MINDSET that YOU WILL NOT FAIL
Just like the USMC, all soldiers should have this mindset.

The historical example of a warrior isn't something we should strive for in the military.  Olympic athletes, boxers, martial artists. Stuff like that it can apply to but as Infanteer pointed out, in a warefare aspect, trained soldiers will defeat warriors always.
I think it's possible (critical?) to apply apply some of the mentioned points which some see as a "warrior mindset" to the mindset of a professional soldier.

I've seen some soldiers I consider warriors. These are the soldiers that simply seem to have an aura of professionalism about them. You ask them a question and they politely answer you not as a teacher talking to a student but as an enthusiast. It's like asking a die hard sports fan a question and you can tell they can't wait to answer and they really get into it because they simply love the sport.
When we hear warrior i think we often see them as a fighting type person.  An army medic who really cares for the troops, a non BS pilot or a supply tech warrant who makes sure the troops get what they need all strike me as "warriors" in that they are professional and care more for getting the job done than how they look.

darkness lite, no no no, not what I meant. I meant that's what I did during both of the out of country jobs I was on. It was nothing special, that's what I'm trying to say. All I did was stay in a single spot for a couple days in the woods with some mags, frags, and a long gun. Nothing special. I was in NO WAY referring to what soldiers do on a regular basis. What I'm saying is that some have accused me of being a wannabe commando or whatnot, but for that to be the case, I'd have to think the jobs I've done are some kind of HSLD type shit, when they really weren't, that's all I was saying.

Well, Tacsit's personal conceptions of his own status aside, I think there are some interesting issues that need to be addressed here.  Since I was away for a bit, you'll have to bear with me while I retrace the argument.

Tacsit:

Your arguments have a flaw however. You mistakenly assume that because previous warrior cultures (or sub-sects of certain societies) were beaten by groupings of professional soldiers, it is due solely to the fact that one group saw itself as professional soldiers, and the other saw themselves as warriors.

I don't see the central thesis to my argument proposed this way; if that's how you want to interpret it, then you should go over my post again.  The point I argued is that societies that adopted a "warrior's" outlook on conflict and organized their culture towards that end have been constantly outfought by societies that adopted the outlook of war as an organized form of human interaction and applied rational approaches of professional techniques and organization to succeed; thus facilitating the creation of the profession of arms to master these outlooks.  I never argued that "warriors" were beat because they saw themselves as warriors, rather I state that the defining feature of warrior societies is to view warfare as a highly personalized and individual affair, and I contend that this is an amateur view as opposed to the professional one  that holds warfare as an organized activity.

For example, the samurai were defeated because they chose not to use firearms and thus train in their use and learn tactics suited to them, not because they were warriors. Yes, I know that it was because of their warrior beliefs that they chose not to use firearms, but that does not equate to them being warriors is why they failed, it equates to them not having a flexible viewpoint of warriordom being the reason they were defeated.

You place too much emphasis in the equipment fighters choose to use; the central issue is cultural and organizational.  Samurai were defeated because their warrior outlook did not allow them to view warfare as an organized system of competing groups of people (with all the inherent ideas of tactics, casualties, terrain, etc).  Rather, the "warrior" culture of the Samurai left them to view combat as an intensely personal thing, nearing a religious nature.  They relished personal combat and felt social status was a central to the belonging to the warrior class.  Even if the Samurai were flexible and chose to arm themselves with firearms, their "warrior" outlook did not give their sub-culture the ability to organize effectively to utilize the effects of a musket or rifle (or cannon or machine gun).  A mounted Samurai, with his highly specialized weapons and armour, his high degree of training, and his code of Bushido, was a force defined by a cultural system; a cultural system that was rendered irrelevant by the drilled and cohesive professional soldier.

What I do dispute is your notion that all warriors, "relish personal combat and glory for their subculture." That was true of the samurai. That was true of other warrior cultures. That is not true of me or my definition of a warrior.

You dispute my defintion of a central aspect of the "warrior" culture and yet admit that my definition can correctly describe the most prominent examples of warriors in history and that your definition of a warrior is different.  Are you simply making up your own definition of the term warrior?  Should the Army make a new slogan for you, the "Warrior of One"?
Obviously not.  However, the reason I am disputing your opinions and claims of a "warrior culture" is that I believe you are taking an inappropriate approach into understanding where the best aspects of the profession of arms exhibited in modern military forces is derived from.

I think I can tell what your problem here is. You have completely skipped over my personal definition of warriodom, and applied historical examples to my character. That is absolutely incorrect and one could see that by checking my definition. I would also like to point out that I said that was my own definition.

No, you gave a quote from a book that was from a genre that derives heavily from historical aspects of warrior cultures.  Going on the cut-and-pasted defintion you gave us, I could only assume that most of your ideas come from past warrior philosophies.  If, as your claim, your definition of your own "warrior" status is vastly different then the others that have come before it, is it necessarily a warrior culture then?

Different people see things differently, but the way of the warrior how I see it is how I live my life. Your comment, "...their level of cohesion and teamwork is unmatched (they accomplish their missions as a team, if you didn't know that..." troubles me. You seem to believe that because I think I am a warrior I cannot work well in a team oriented setting. Why? Because the samurai worked as individual warriors? Because other previous warrior cultures did? I have news for you, I am not Samurai, nor do I label myself a warrior from any other culture. You said yourself, that central to the excellent of the modern soldier is his dedication to the, "...art and science of armed conflict." That's exactly what I have.

Yes, different people see things differently; but it does not change the fact that there are inherent characteristics of human activity (warfare included) which cross the boundaries of cultural interpration.   No matter how "perfect" one's society may see its form of fighting culture, it can be easily outdone by another which organizes itself to understand and adapt around these inherent characteristics better.  The reason I am drawing an issue with your statement is because you seem to have a confused and misrepresented idea of the nature of the profession of arms due to convoluted half-truths that many, who seem to delight in the fact that the "warrior culture" is en vogue.  I am disputing this outlook because I believe that ascribing to the tenets of a "warrior" subculture only detracts from the professionalism of our military.  

You state that you've "met many soldiers, but not all of them are warriors."  Going by your definition, they are not warriors because they do not dedicate themselves to turning a pen into a weapon and mastering all forms of martial combat.  This is a dangerous attitude that is quite frankly, unprofessional.  It leads to an elitist impression of one's own position within the military and breeds contempt for those perceived as "non-warriors."  The ultimate result is a breakdown of discipline and cohesion, and a loss of the professionalism that deprives us of our excellence in the profession of arms.

Ultimately, it is professionalism that leads to excellence in the battle.  Look at the Blackhawk pilots (some who perished), the PJ Combat Search and Rescue techs, and the others who took part in the Battle of Mogadishu.  They were not warriors, especially by your definition of the term.  They were professionals in all sense of the word, performing their tasks expertly for the professional goal of accomplishing the mission.  Even Randy Shugart and Gary Gorden, who descended into the maelstrom to protect a downed helicopter, were not warriors; they were common men who personified the definition of the professional soldier, and ultimately gave their lives in doing so (which is not a trait unique to "warrior cultures"; I would contend that the threat of injury or death forces this mindset onto all who would enter into battle.  Those who ignore it are simply unprofessional).

I consider myself prigileged enough to partake in the community of warriors, to learn from them, to dispense the miniscule amount of knowledge I have managed to attain over my brief time on this planet, and to enjoy the company of like minded people. I am no more, no less than those I protect. I would advise you to reread my previous post and stop applying historical definitions, attitudes, and cultural beliefs onto me, because you will find yourself, as you are now, way off the mark.

I don't question your motives, only your methods.  You seek to build the abilities of an expert of the profession of arms, which is something we all wish to do.  It is my opinion that by feeling that you can do so through adopting some (historically) unrealistic and ineffective mindset, building some snazzy gear, and taking a few weapons handling courses, you are ignoring the hallmark sacrifices that professionals must make.  Perhaps your should put your little privately funded "green ops" warrior career on halt and march down to the local CFRC and sign a three year basic engagement.  Perhaps after then, we'd be more interested in hearing your thoughts on the real nuts-and-bolts of the issue, the profession of arms.

Edit to add: BTW, the Spartans viewed themselves as warriors and citizen soldiers, not as our current definition of professional soldiers.

We don't really know how the "Spartan's viewed themselves" because they left scant historical records.  You are subscribing to the Spartan myth, which was largely perpetuated because most of what we know of Sparta comes to us from those (mostly Athenians) who were critical of a free and open democratic system and saw the Spartan's martial system as the desired alternative.

In reality, the Spartans practiced warfare just like the rest of the Greeks, who by necessity moved from a formless mob of spearmen to a professional group of soldiers and sailors (the Athenian Navy should be included in this discussion) who made the profession of arms their calling in order to defeat invading Persians and expand the interests of their own polis (city-state).  Although I don't believe the Greeks were the first clear cut example of a professional fighting force in Western Civilization (that would be the Romans), the influence of Hellenic culture on the way Rome organized for war was so important that I felt it was necessary to include.

Travis:

I'd argue that your cut-and-pasted example has mixed elements of both "warrior" and "professional" into one definition and is historically incorrect.   The statement, especially the last sentence, contains elements that were not inherent to any historical warrior societies.  Although these societies may have been blessed from time-to-time with leaders possessing innate genius in conducting war, their pattern of believes and their warrior system was devoid of the ability to institutionalize this excellence through professionalization.

Armymedic:

Your defintion of the term "warrior" is heavily rooted upon the characteristics of courage and unshakable determination.  These traits are essential for the success of the people you mentioned, but their application of these characteristics does not make them "warriors" or "professional soldiers".  Rather, I would contend that these characteristics must be inculcated into fighters, whether they be warriors or professional soldiers, to be able to stand the psychological trauma that exists in armed combat.

Despite what some definitons, such as Tacsit's, which would attribute the personal traits of courage and determination to those soldiers who possess a "warrior spirit", I believe that this is incorrect.  The warrior has no  monopoly over these traits; a band of Samurai warriors can possess them to bravely charge a formed body of riflemen just as the professional soldiers of the 2nd Battalion, PPCLI, could risk encirclement by superior Chinese forces in order to hold a strategic hill at Kap'Yong in order to allow their fellow comrades to escape destruction.

Ghost:

You have attributed the status of warrior to those who excel at the profession of arms, which contains a variety of disciplines, not all of which deal directly with combat.  Although "warrior" is a nice, symbolic word to attach to them, I feel it is historically incorrect and that these soldiers are professionals.

The bottom line is, I'm not picking an argument with Tacsit's "warrior code" to try and come off as a history buff or to battle semantics with loosely defined words.  I am doing this so that we may understand that excellence or failure for both individual soldiers and the units they serve in is dependent upon the motivation and ability to strive to maximize our professionalism.  

Some may argue that a "warrior code" is the necessary tool to do so; I say no as it takes us down a dangerous road of unprofessionalism.  This "elitism" and "warrior mentality" seems to have contributed to the breakdown in professionalism up and down the ranks in certain parts of our Airborne Regiment with the end result of Confederate Flags, burning NCO's vehicles, and orders to "shoot them between the skirt and the flip-flops" (If any who served in the Airborne feel this is an incorrect evaluation, please do correct me).

We need to understand that true "eliteness", true excellence, comes through development of the profession of arms that is guided through an effective and important professional ethos (what Whiskey attributed to as Honour).  Only by doing this can we ensure that our excellence in the profession of arms is heading in the right direction, the direction of ensuring that all soldiers of our Armed Forces are able to effectively contribute to victory in war.

Ghost-You have attributed the status of warrior to those who excel at the profession of arms, which contains a variety of disciplines, not all of which deal directly with combat.   Although "warrior" is a nice, symbolic word to attach to them, I feel it is historically incorrect and that these soldiers are professionals.

I agree 100%.   Professional soldier seems to fit the bill more. maybe warrior is just used by people who haven't really debated it?

Tacsit,
I've had about my fill of your military green ops experience, the subtle wink wink nod nod you do when talking about your "private security work" and your super kit that will have you carrying on through all stages of WW3.
I think you have a huge persona built up about yourself in your head and your putting the cart pretty far ahead of the horse.

Unless you break a rule laid down by the staff I don't think anyone has the right to tell you to leave. It's a public forum. People of course can reccomend you share your opinion elsewhere and like it;s done in the army when your dealing with someone who just won't be a team player, you turn your back on them and wait for them to go away. I'm not going to take any posts from you very seriously in the future unless you pull off a more convincing change of attitude than saddam hussain does in south park the movie.

Tacsit: So you're saying that once or twice you spent a couple of days in a forest with a weapon, in a location other then Canada (outisde your Pte (B) experience with the mo), and THIS is your "community of warriors"? THIS is what necessitated five thousand dollars of personal expenditures on weapons training (although, according to eyewitnesses, you were in very dire need)? You're handing out advice on military equipment, special forces training, weaponry and tactics and all you have is a year or two as an untrained militia private, and four days sitting on your arse in a forest somewhere?!

I think you've stepped on pretty much everyone's toes on this site, and no one here thinks any more of your 'credentials' than to be a loud-mouthed kid who has read "Soldier of Fortune" one too many times and thinks he's hot $hit. If you need an excuse to leave this board, by all means take it! There is no one left who believes what you have to say, and you have lost anyl credibility you might have had.

Ghostwalk said:
Tacsit, I think its time to leave... and don't let the door hit your ***.

This should keep you busy until your next secret mission: http://www.msu.edu/~couilla3/ninja/seppuku.htm

Ghostwalk, that link was so cool it made me want to flip out, kick my mom in the face, totally uppercut someone and then wail on my guitar.  Please stop making reference to it - frankly, I just don't have the energy for all that.

And by cool, I mean totally sweet.

tacsit said:
that's what I did during both of the out of country jobs I was on. It was nothing special, that's what I'm trying to say. All I did was stay in a single spot for a couple days in the woods with some mags, frags, and a long gun.
in what country(ies)?
were you doing this legally?

If you left the reserves to allow time to focus on school, where did you find time to start attending civi-commando schools & go on "green ops?"

In another post you mentioned dealing with an IED.  Where were you trained to do this?

Quote from: tacsit on Yesterday at 19:15:44
that's what I did during both of the out of country jobs I was on. It was nothing special, that's what I'm trying to say. All I did was stay in a single spot for a couple days in the woods with some mags, frags, and a long gun.
in what country(ies)?
were you doing this legally?

Man, he's bullshitting. A canadian citizen wearing CADPAT gear working as a hired gun overseas? If he is what he says he is, there is NO WAY he'd post something like that on an internet forum. Thats an international incident waiting to happen and anyone who was into doing stuff like that would NOT mention it in a place like this.

Yard Ape, if he tells you he'll probably have to kill you.

"were you doing this legally? If you left the reserves to allow time to focus on school, where did you find time to start attending civi-commando schools & go on "green ops?"

My sentiments exactly.  So you're 20, 2 years in the Mo, a student, have gone on Ops with frags (pretty certain they're illegal outside the military, and police for the stun type!!), etc, etc.  My, my, my, when do you sleep!!!!!  So if you joined the Mo at 16, you're out at 18, 2 years of Ops and now a student, does that sound about right????  BS!!!!!  My son can put a more coherent "story" together.  I wouldn't hire an 18 year old to do Mall Cop work, let alone Security type ops (Sorry to those 18 year olds with their s*** together!!).  Most of our soldiers join when they're older than 18 and require 2 and half years trg before they're called Pte trained.  No Cdn soldier who IS 18 would ever dare claim to be an expert, they know they have a lot to learn, as do all Pte's, hench why they have Section Commanders!!! Hell, I'm still learning s**t!!

Go back to reading SOF.

WO :cdn:

tacist, you are not worth me typing a long, well thought out post.

Do us all a favour and go read the conduct guidelines, specifically where it talks about "inflating your military experience" Who do you think you're posting among here? I don't have the experience to wade into this fray too heavily, at least I've got the balls to say it.

Gentlemen,

I think it is time for the bloodletting to stop. I am sure Tacsit has learned his lesson and will no longer embellish his accomplishments.

So that you all may know where I am coming from, I will mention that I have been in the tactical/military industry as a participant since 1977 and been self employed in it since 1981.

I will not be so quick to judge Tacsits claims as other have been. To illustrate my point, the young sixteen year old that works for me just completed 8 months of close protection training that ranged from battle wound care to live fire counter ambush drills from vehicles. Would I trust this young man in combat? Well that would be pushing it as he is still just sixteen. (Mind you he was able to hold his own when serving members within the CF were struggling) Is he capable of talking a good story from a position of knowledge? Absolutely. Could he contribute interesting posts. Yes. Would he embellish this unusual accomplishment of a 16 year old. NO! He knows better, that is the way he was taught.

Ii is my opinion that about the only thing Tactsit is truly guilty of is letting enthusiasm and youthful exuberance get the best of sound judgement. I for one have enjoyed reading many of his views on gear and tended to give many of his other points the skepticism the probably deserved.

One point I will say that maybe unpopular with many on this board is: Do not think for a minute that being a serving member of the CF gives automatic claim to having some divine right to a higher position in the pecking order. Contrary to what I have read in the few weeks I have been a member on this board, membership DOES NOT HAVE ITS PRIVILEGES. Only performance counts! I have met many who are serving members who are extremely good soldiers that deserve the highest respect. I have also met many who in my educated view deserve to be kicked out of the CF. I have even met some scum who I feel require a 9mm lobotomy. I have also met security operators that have entered through the industry back door(ie. no formal military/police training) that could teach many who serve in ours, the U.S., or Brit armed forces a thing or two.

Being on the supply side for nearly a quarter century I have had the opportunity to spend time laughing and joking with Generals on the grenade range and the good fortune to knock back brews with the Junior Ranks. I have made many friends and contacts. I have dealt with men who I met as junior officers that have risen to the position of DCO. Hell, even my rigger retired with damn near thirty years in.The point I am making here is that with nearly 25 years of making contacts I have heard many things that perhaps I should have not heard, but have been privy to nonetheless. Let me assure you, not all soldiers/operators/warriors (call them what you may) military or civilian are above reproach.

I and perhaps others who read these boards may know the real truth :-[

I have heard absolutely fascinating stories from people in authority, about incredibly stupid and embarrassing things pulled by CF members of all ranks and experience, some of whom post on this board and other influential gun/tactical/military related boards.

I have even read posts by people who have praised a individual that has stolen my designs, failed to pay his bill to me, and as a matter of military record, committed incredible indiscretions while on overseas tour, as being a "great guy".

Knowing the truth irks the hell out of me when I see posts claiming this fellow to be a "great guy" especially when I know the opposite to be true.

Perhaps the poster does not know the whole story.

Have I or others in the know posted these true stories for all to see?

No.  

What would be the point? Would it make me feel like a big man? I doubt it. Besides I can direct the energy towards more positive issues.

To me this "Tacsit" issue to be much ado about nothing. Some posts are damn near viscous and vindictive. In fact, on one wellknown U.S. board some joined up just to attack Tacsit. Odd because like I say, you never know who has something on you. . .

Yes I know it irks many that Tacsit may ( I say may because I was not there) have embellished his experiences and I truly do understand why it irks many, but to go on and on about it   -   well I think the point was made and I am sure the young man will choose his words more carefully in his future posts.

I implore the moderators to lock this thread and let us get on with what the discussion of tactical military clothing and equipment rather than destruction of a mans reputation.

Oh one more thing, remember you never know,   who knows...

Kindest Regards
Brian Kroon
President
Spike Camp Wilderness Safety Supply Ltd.
Drop ZoneTactical

I will not be so quick to judge Tacsits claims as other have been. To illustrate my point, the young sixteen year old that works for me just completed 8 months of close protection training that ranged from battle wound care to live fire counter ambush drills from vehicles. Would I trust this young man in combat? Well that would be pushing it as he is still just sixteen. (Mind you he was able to hold his own when serving members within the CF were struggling) Is he capable of talking a good story from a position of knowledge? Absolutely. Could he contribute interesting posts. Yes. Would he embellish this unusual accomplishment of a 16 year old. NO! He knows better, that is the way he was taught.

Don't you think learning the ABC's of life in school just might be a bit more appropriate for a 16 year old?

I thought Canada was a signatory to international agreements prohibiting the use of "children" as soldiers in any event.  Does this not cross the line?

Whom should this be reported to, if so.

I made a post regarding some of your comments dropzone but i think they will only invite further arguing and as you've said i think this issue has pretty much run it's course. all i'll say is this;

I am sure the young man will choose his words more carefully in his future posts.
Mission accomplished.
People often gotta learn things the hard way and in 5 years tacsit might look back at this rather public lesson and be thankful.

Why you would let someone get away with stealing your ideas is beyond me.
I'm not sure what boards you post at where an apparent hammer head gets praises sung about him but I think as you can see here, that won't happen.

Cheers

DZ nice post,glad to see you came to the defence of your number 1 customer :). He is an asshat who deserves everything that has been heaped on to him.
As for a 16 year old being trained,sure why not but it would be foolhardy to hire him as a BG.A monkey can be trained to pile sticks but it don't make him a bridge builder,maturity and experience count for alot more than reciting the book and doing drills.

Back