• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Warrior Platoon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack94

Inactive
Reaction score
So I ended up in warrior, yes I did work out and all the fun stuff before I came but missed it by 1 pushup and 4 points on the grip.  18 pushups that counted and did 25 so I'm annoyed but keep on working right?  My arms were killing me from the day before since we carried our kit up 12 flights of stairs.  I'm happy I got lv 8 on the run and the situps were good.

I'm just putting this out there for anyone who is joining and reading the forums.  So I'm trying to help.

Right now there are about 70 people here and about 25 in the holding waiting for courses to start.  Work your butt off so you don't end up waiting months to get on a course.  I hear they are only putting 5 warriors on a course so do the math and I hope to be on a course end of Jan or first course in Feb.

Would you say the majority of those on the warrior platoon are like yourself who were close but just missed the cutoff, or are there a lot of, let's say, 'softer' recruits?

Blackjack94 said:
I hear they are only putting 5 warriors on a course so do the math and I hope to be on a course end of Jan or first course in Feb.

Not trying to be an arse, but I don't think the right word to be calling people who failed the initial PT test is "warriors".  The word "misleading" comes to mind...

We do 2 workouts a day,  the morning one is as a group and the afternoon you are a bit more on your own.  I was given an individual workout plan and it's up to you as to how much effort you put in to it.  There is a good amount of people that I would say could put more work into it but I've only been here a few days, once there you have to pass the PT test, not just do the min to get off of it.

The platoon is called Warrior.  I did not name it, I'm just putting some information out for others who might find it useful.  I do think people should have a PT test before they get in so they know where they stand before they get in.  Yes I know that would have meant I would not have passed.

Out of the 6 of us that were moved to the other platoon 3 others were really close.

Eye In The Sky said:
Not trying to be an arse, but I don't think the right word to be calling people who failed the initial PT test is "warriors".  The word "misleading" comes to mind...

Kids got a point bro. The CF is toting the 'warrior' thing- can't really blame these guys for picking up the lingo (though I share your sentiment).

Blackjack, you should be ashamed of yourself for failing- especially after doing all the "fun" stuff. Sounds like maybe you approached it with the wrong mentality.
You should now use that shame and embarrassment and really wreck the gym and crush all the weights there. Use the time you have as a punishment and become a physical monster.

Good job on your running level 8 on the MSR.

You learned a great lesson already carrying all your crap- pack lighter.

Can't pack lighter.  They gave us all the kit.

Ya the phone call home really sucked and yes I was mad as hell at myself for not being able to push out one last good one.  No one knows but me what a blow that was and is to the ego.  I did go in knowing I could do it and would do it but........

I'm not making excusses by any means, I failed and now have to deal with it.

Anyway back to my day.  Maybe I'll have a chance to check back on the weekend.

Hope this helps anyone planning on coming here, workout, workout, workout. 

Blackjack94 said:
.... Work your butt off so you don't end up waiting months to get on a course ....
Wise words to take away for anyone working - hard - on their PT to get in....

Thanks for sharing, Blackjack94, and keep pushing.

ObedientiaZelum said:
Kids got a point bro. The CF is toting the 'warrior' thing- can't really blame these guys for picking up the lingo (though I share your sentiment).

Ya, I know, I was working at CFLRS around the time this whole thing started (cancellation of the entrance PT test).  I remember chatting with the PSP guys on fall afternoon in '06, they had about 8 or so recruits doing laps on the track behind the Mega, I took a stroll over to see what the gig was.  Found out it was the first bunch of BMQers who had failed the EXPRES test post-elimination of CFRC testing and were now being put into "Warrior Platoon".  IIRC, that was the first time I heard the term and the PSP guy and I shared a look over that one.

I thought they had renamed it RFT (Recruit Fitness Trg) and moved it to Specialized Div or something with the reorg a few years back.

Meh.  I guess the worst thing is that 6 years later, there is still a need for that sub-unit at CFLRS. 

Blackjack94 said:
Can't pack lighter.  They gave us all the kit.

Ya the phone call home really sucked and yes I was mad as hell at myself for not being able to push out one last good one.  No one knows but me what a blow that was and is to the ego.  I did go in knowing I could do it and would do it but........

I'm not making excusses by any means, I failed and now have to deal with it.

Anyway back to my day.  Maybe I'll have a chance to check back on the weekend.

Hope this helps anyone planning on coming here, workout, workout, workout.

And I'll give you credit for having the 'nads to come here and post it online, even if you are faceless and all that cyberworld stuff here.

You're post also amplifies something a whole bunch of people have said on here with regard to PT abilities...simply being able to do enough to pass the EXPRES test on a good day is NOT....NOT enough.  Case in point, your platoon got kitted out, likely piled it all on the ML to be driven from Supply to the back entrance of the Mega and then had to hump just your issued kit up to your floor.  The next day...EXPRES test.

EXPRES test #s are minimums that you need to aim higher for in the real world.

Good luck, stay focused, don't let the whiners (if there are any) in your group demoralize you.  You might be down, but you aren't out.

Many friends of mine have gone through the Warrior process. It may delay your BMQ completion time but damn man, you come off that thing in better shape then a trained athlete.  I'll give you an example one of my good good friends got there he was pushing 300 at 5"10 hes not 210 and never felt better.

Blackjack94 said:
I do think people should have a PT test before they get in so they know where they stand before they get in. 

They used to;  I'm surprised they haven't brought the PT test back into the recruiting process for the Regular Forces yet.

-Skeletor- said:
They used to;  I'm surprised they haven't brought the PT test back into the recruiting process for the Regular Forces yet.

Indeed. Selective employer and all. It would save us a couple of thousand "when will I get the call" threads when the real dummies flunk the physical and are told to PFO.

Scott said:
Indeed. Selective employer and all. It would save us a couple of thousand "when will I get the call" threads when the real dummies flunk the physical and are told to PFO.

There's still plenty of "real dummies" in the PRes, and there's even a fitness requirement prior to entry.

Eye In The Sky said:
There shouldn't BE a need for Warrior platoon.

-Skeletor- said:

I'm guessing the theory is that by making a warrior platoon we can bring people up to shape (which in some cases it looks like it works). I guess that way the CF can "save" supplicates?
I'm pretty sure there are no shortage of people applying for many of the trades. The competition to get into these trades should be physical too, not just mental.

NOT having a PT test in order to ship to basic training in the first place just creates a backlog of recruits, drains on the instructor pool (someone's gotta watch em), a drain on facilities (sleeping quarters) food services, medical and dental services.

We're probably wasting a lot of money having dozens of recruits hanging around these warrior platoons for months.

That's not even taking into consideration the money we're wasting on chronic mir commandos but that's another debate.

I honestly feel warrior should not exist.  These people should have a second chance but not on DND payroll.  I think it should be a test at the CFRC if your not quite up to par then leave the file open give them another chance to improve themselves and come back whenever they are ready.  I knew of many people on warrior for a year or more one girl was there for 3 years.  In my opinion its just wasting money.

There is also the people they ship to St.Jean put them on payroll, then they don't even make the requirements for Warrior and get sent home.  It takes about a month before they get sent home during which time they are still on payroll as civilians and just roam free in the mega.

So each one is wasting a Month of salary and 2 plane tickets (plus claims) To/From St.Jean.

Tollis said:
I knew of many people on warrior for a year or more one girl was there for 3 years.  In my opinion its just wasting money.
I was under the impression that it was a maximum of 3 months on Warrior before you either pass the Express test and await the next course or you get released.

I think the purpose is to give everyone a fair chance of a successful career in the Canadian Forces by having that second chance to improve fitness and go on to graduate.

I've heard stories of many recruits going in to the CFRC for their PRes fitness test and the nervousness sets and they just have an off day and miss the MSR by a half stage, or the Invigilator scratches off that one or two pushups for "bad form" (which is silly and unfair to ask people to do it military form right off the bat in application stage when most people 1. don't know the form 2. can't do as many in that form. I got lucky having been a former cadet and knew the form).

My first test, I woke up that morning and was congested, I had caught a cold and still went in for the test thinking I could still pass it. I got there and wasn't feeling any better and I knew there was no chance I'd get to reschedule the morning of the test and "waste $125 of tax dollars for wasting a space for a PT Test" as the Lt explained. I missed a couple sit ups and missed the MSR by a half stage because I was too bloody congested, I spoke to the Invigilator and the CFRC staff about it and they gave me a cold-heart death stare and just told me "No. You failed. Go home. You can do it again in 2 weeks time, bring $27 [+/- depending on taxes] for exam fee." It really bummed me out.

PrairieThunder said:
I think the purpose is to give everyone a fair chance of a successful career in the Canadian Forces by having that second chance to improve fitness and go on to graduate.

A fair chance? People have a fair chance between the time they decide they want to join the army and the day they leave for basic training. Why on earth should we pay someone to get in shape for months or even years if they don't have the basic capability to do it on their own?

My first test, I woke up that morning and was congested, I had caught a cold and still went in for the test thinking I could still pass it. I got there and wasn't feeling any better and I knew there was no chance I'd get to reschedule the morning of the test and "waste $125 of tax dollars for wasting a space for a PT Test" as the Lt explained. I missed a couple sit ups and missed the MSR by a half stage because I was too bloody congested, I spoke to the Invigilator and the CFRC staff about it and they gave me a cold-heart death stare and just told me "No. You failed. Go home. You can do it again in 2 weeks time, bring $27 [+/- depending on taxes] for exam fee." It really bummed me out.
Were you expecting the staff to give you a pass since you only failed by a little bit because you were sick?

PrairieThunder said:
...or the Invigilator scratches off that one or two pushups for "bad form" (which is silly and unfair to ask people to do it military form right off the bat in application stage when most people 1. don't know the form 2. can't do as many in that form.
It's "silly and unfair" to ask people to do proper pushups....because they can't do as many if they have to be done properly?

You know it's a test, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back