• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waiting on Job offer - Story of Application

Pearson87

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey everyone, figured I would put up my story.

October 10th - Sent in papers for the Canadian Forces
Mid October - Confirmation of papers recieved
Mid November - Recieve a phone call saying my papers have been lost and I need to restart the application process
Late November - Send in papers for the Canadian Forces
End of November - Confirmation Papers have been recieved
Early December - Recieve a phone call asking if I have sent in papers yet
Mid December - Re send papers
Late December - Confirmation of papers recieved

From January to the middle of March I hear nothing, then on March 13th or 14th I am asked to go do my aptitude testing. I passed my aptitude testing with a very high score. I was not told exactly, but was told that it was more than high enough for my trade.

I have my medical testing and physical testing scheduled for the following week. Actual testing follows 2 and a half weeks later. I did the following on the physical:

49 pushups, 42 sit ups, 130 I believe on the grip test and on the step test I was told I went higher than anyone she had seen. I do not remember the calculations for my v02 max as I do not have the sheet in front of me.

Security screening is done after the final testing, papers are confirmed and accepted. I am told that I was merrit listed in late April.

I check on merrit listing process and that of my Job offer on May 2nd and am told that I have in fact not been merrit listed. A few phone calls are exchanged in the next few days and I am in fact merrit listed on May 8th.

Upon being merrit listed I am told that my job offer should be recieved within 1 - 1.5 weeks (Infantry - Reg force). I check back in that time and am told that things are moving slowly. Please wait another week and give us a call back if you do not hear from us.

I proceed to call back a week later, to be told the same thing. This pattern has continued until the present time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I do have a few questions:

1.) Who else has applied for a MOS that is in high demand and had to wait more than the usual time for the offer?
  2.) If you had to wait for the offer, how much longer than estimated did it take?
  3.) Did you take any steps to further the speed at which the job offer was processed?
  4.) Did your recruiter do things/help you in ways that the process was sped along?
  5.) I was told that I was very competitive for my standing in the Job Offer process, yet it is taking 4x+ the amount of time I was originally told that I would recieve the offer in. Is this normal? Is Borden that backed up?

I am very motivated and the 9 month wait has been very frustrating, especially with some of the above mentioned events that occurred. I guess I am writing this in hopes that someone else has undergone the same thing and that I can hope to see a finalization of my application in the near future.

I cant wait to get in, the wait kills.

Do you have a good, thick book?  ;D

Honestly, the process is a bitch. Some see it as a test of your will, others, just the bureaucracy in action, one that you may become intimate with in time. Currently, it is as it is but chances are you'll be on your way by the Fall if not sooner, and in today's climate, that's better than many can say.

I'd suggest reading some books on philosophy, military history or Afghanistan. Maybe take some time to pick up a bit of Pashtu while you're at it. Waterski, hike, camp, chase girls or whatever. Enjoy this time off while you can, because soon enough, you're going to be having all the challenges your competitive nature can handle.  >:D

Might be seeing you there,
Cheers...

Would like to update that on Thursday the 8th of June I recieved my job offer and will be sworn in on the 15th of the month. I will leave for basic on June 30th to start on July 4th in St.Jean Quebec.

Which trade were you going for?  Officer or Non-Com?

I'm sitting on a merit list right now for D.E.O. Infantry and appreciate any comparative info I can find.

Congrats Pearson. I'm curious, are you joining the PPCLI?

Not to rain on your parade but I have to admit, reading your post brought up mixed feelings. I'm pleased for you, but personally I'm frustrated. My job offer was March 16. As I'm a retread, I had to have a PLAR which resulted in a BMQ bypass on May 12. I'm still awaiting an SQ date. With any luck, by the time you have completed basic I may be running into you at Wainwright.  ::)

Cheers buds, good onya.

exsemjingo said:
Which trade were you going for?  Officer or Non-Com?

I'm sitting on a merit list right now for D.E.O. Infantry and appreciate any comparative info I can find.

Non Comissioned. That edjumikated stuff isnt for me ;)

Enzo said:
Congrats Pearson. I'm curious, are you joining the PPCLI?

Not to rain on your parade but I have to admit, reading your post brought up mixed feelings. I'm pleased for you, but personally I'm frustrated. My job offer was March 16. As I'm a retread, I had to have a PLAR which resulted in a BMQ bypass on May 12. I'm still awaiting an SQ date. With any luck, by the time you have completed basic I may be running into you at Wainwright.  ::)

Cheers buds, good onya.

Yes PPCLI. Hoping to get Edmonton as my posting, if not.. it's not a big deal. The chances of us going into the same SQ are probably pretty good. I'll keep you updated on what Im doing so I know who to look for if it ends up being that we are both on the same course.

Back